Kosher?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kosher?

I was wondering if Christians are supposed to eat kosher like Jewish people do? I know I eat tons of things that aren't kosher but I'm unsure if those rules are applied to Christians. Are any of you kosher now?

Well, as a Christian, I've always believed that I'm something of an honorary Jew, seeing as I'm a member of the bride of Christ, who was a Jew. I don't eat Kosher, but then again, I don't know all the kosher rules. I would probably be healthier if I did eat that way. God made those rules for a reason, to give His people the best possible way of life. So while I don't think Christians are necessarily SUPPOSED to eat kosher, it probably wouldn't hurt us to learn a few things about it, do our research and find out if that style of eating wouldn't be a good idea, health wise. I DO know that we are not supposed to eat blood in our food, and yet, many people do just that in the form of blood sausage, or rare meat with blood still on the plate. To me, that's just gross, but there are very real health issues involved with eating blood, especially while raw.
    Comment>

Originally posted by LeapOfFaith89 View Post
      I was wondering if Christians are supposed to eat kosher like Jewish people do? I know I eat tons of things that aren't kosher but I'm unsure if those rules are applied to Christians. Are any of you kosher now?
      According to Mark, Jesus declared all foods clean.

And he called the people to him again and said to them, “Hear me, all of you, and understand: There is nothing outside a person that by going into him can defile him, but the things that come out of a person are what defile him.” And when he had entered the house and left the people, his disciples asked him about the parable. And he said to them, “Then are you also without understanding? Do you not see that whatever goes into a person from outside cannot defile him, 19 since it enters not his heart but his stomach, and is expelled?” (Thus he declared all foods clean.) (Mark 7:14-19)
      Comment>

Even a Jew who followed the Bible's dietary regulations wouldn't have to limit himself to kosher food. Many of the kosher requirements were added to the laws God gave. For example, they forbid eating meat and milk at the same meal or even using the same utensils for preparing dishes that contain meat and milk. You won't find any such prohibitions in the Bible. I have heard that these rules were based on Deuteronomy 14:21, " You shall not boil a young goat in its mother's milk." The only dietary restriction that we are subject to is the one given to Noah in Genesis 9:4, "But you shall not eat flesh with its life, that is, its blood."
        Clyde Herrin's Blog
        Comment>

The early Christians, the gentiles also had the same question. Should they do everything the Jews did? Here's Paul's answer: One person’s faith allows them to eat anything, but another, whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables. The one who eats everything must not treat with contempt the one who does not, and the one who does not eat everything must not judge the one who does, for God has accepted them. So the question of whether you should eat kosher or not depends on your faith.
          Comment>

I don't think food is a large part of belief, to be honest. As long as you are a good person inside and out, with the community and by yourself, I don't think it's that important what you eat, whether it is pork, chicken, or beef, as they are basically just sustenance for your body, which we all know is the temple of the soul. If you have to restrict your diet just so you can be in sync with beliefs, then we would be depriving our bodies of basic nutrients, which would also be a bad way of taking care of ourselves.
            Comment>

Originally posted by OursIsTheFury View Post
              I don't think food is a large part of belief, to be honest. As long as you are a good person inside and out, with the community and by yourself, I don't think it's that important what you eat, whether it is pork, chicken, or beef, as they are basically just sustenance for your body, which we all know is the temple of the soul. If you have to restrict your diet just so you can be in sync with beliefs, then we would be depriving our bodies of basic nutrients, which would also be a bad way of taking care of ourselves.
              Have you found one of those? "a good person inside and out".

I have only ever met one person who claimed to be fully sanctified and one person who claimed to only speak 'life' 100% of the time.
              I simply walked away from the "fully sanctified" person ... there is a parable about manure and wrestling with the village idiot that might be inappropriate to share (but applicable).
              I gently offered a reality check to the individual who had 'mastered his tongue' from his own lips and recent past.

(Of course, I run with a rougher than average crowd of church goers.)

However, I agree that food ain't nuttin' one way or tuther. Just an excuse for Guilt you don't need or pride you don't deserve.
              Comment>

Well in all of my years growing up in a pretty religious household (as a Lutheran) I have never been told anything about eating kosher so I am going to assume not. It could very well be the case that my mother or father just decided to skip that part of the religion though for convenience sake...I would not put it past them. Either way, I have not been concerned of it ever, but from what I understand it is pretty available and easy to have prepared so it is not too much of a hassle for those who eat it.
                Comment>
                Working...
                X
                Articles - News - SiteMap