The Weakness of Christ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Weakness of Christ?

I have been going over the story of Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane Matthew 26:36-44 ESV

Jesus Prays in Gethsemane

36 Then Jesus went with them to a place called Gethsemane, and he said to his disciples, “Sit here, while I go over there and pray.” 37 And taking with him Peter and the two sons of Zebedee, he began to be sorrowful and troubled. 38 Then he said to them, “My soul is very sorrowful, even to death; remain here, and watch[a] with me.” 39 And going a little farther he fell on his face and prayed, saying, “My Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as you will.”

This uncertainty seemed to stay with Jesus until he was crucified and cried out "My God, My God, why has thou forsaken me".

What is the meaning of this passage and how should we use it today?

Jesus ended his prayer in Gethsemane with the words, "Not as I will, but as you will." In the end he submitted to God's will. He also showed no uncertainty when he prayed that God would forgive those who crucified him or when he told the repentant criminal he would be in Paradise with him that same day. When he cried out "My God, My God, why has thou forsaken me" he was experiencing separation from God caused by the sins of the world being placed on him.
    Clyde Herrin's Blog
    Comment>

Submitting to God's will I can understand, it is more difficult to comprehend the separation from God as I have yet to find any explanation in the bible for this. As Jesus is both God and man isn't it possible to say he acted as a mortal during that period before reclaiming his divinity that was revealed on earth during the transfiguration?
      Comment>

The reason we are separated from God is found in the third chapter of Genesis. Adam and Eve disobeyed and their sin separated them from God. All of us have inherited their sinful nature and our sins separate us from God.

Jesus did live as a man, but as a man without sin. In him we see what Adam could have been like if he hadn't sinned.
        Clyde Herrin's Blog
        Comment>

As you state Jesus was sinless, a mortal man like no other ever seen. His inherent divinity shielding him from sin and thus separation from God. It seems a division occurs somewhere in the gospels however I have yet been unable to find it.
          Comment>

Jesus knew He'd come to earth to pay for Adam's sin. However in Gethsemane when the hour for the debt to be paid had come and He knew that the sin of the world which would be laid upon him would separate Him from God, He wanted God to do something. It's an inference [it's not explicitly mentioned anywhere in the bible] we make that it's this separation [the cup which he wanted passed from him] He didn't want. We clearly see that separation when on the cross the Presence of God has departed and Jesus cries out, "My God, My God, why have you abandoned me?" We were the reason He'd been abandoned albeit for a little time because all our sins were laid on Him on the cross.
            Comment>

Originally posted by Smithee View Post
              Jesus knew He'd come to earth to pay for Adam's sin. However in Gethsemane when the hour for the debt to be paid had come and He knew that the sin of the world which would be laid upon him would separate Him from God, He wanted God to do something. It's an inference [it's not explicitly mentioned anywhere in the bible] we make that it's this separation [the cup which he wanted passed from him] He didn't want. We clearly see that separation when on the cross the Presence of God has departed and Jesus cries out, "My God, My God, why have you abandoned me?" We were the reason He'd been abandoned albeit for a little time because all our sins were laid on Him on the cross.
              I haven't seen that interpretation before. If the separation experienced by Adam and Eve and every human since also fell on Jesus what does this mean for humanity? Should it be taken that man himself can rise to heaven again as Jesus has already shown the way? That believing in Christ and looking to regain the connection with God with allow all to see the Kingdom of heaven and shake off the separation of Adam and Eve?
              Comment>

Originally posted by PiousPete View Post
                Should it be taken that man himself can rise to heaven again as Jesus has already shown the way?
                Anyone who puts his faith in Jesus will be raised by him. No one can rise under his own power.
                Clyde Herrin's Blog
                Comment>

You missed a key part of what I wrote in your quote theophilus

Originally posted by PiousPete View Post
                  Should it be taken that man himself can rise to heaven again as Jesus has already shown the way? That believing in Christ and looking to regain the connection with God with allow all to see the Kingdom of heaven and shake off the separation of Adam and Eve?
                  The way forward has been shown and the door is wide open....
                  Comment>
                  Working...
                  X
                  Articles - News - SiteMap