Deuteronomy 23:2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deuteronomy 23:2

Deuteronomy 23:2: “No one born of a forbidden union may enter the assembly of the LORD. Even to the tenth generation, none of his descendants may enter the assembly of the LORD.

This is one way of exalting Abraham's seed from that of the heathen! Anyone have anything in mind regarding its application today? While I believe this was reason to live chastely, I began to think of that familiarity to generational curses and the repercussions of our decisions. Some will say how cruel of God, but are we guilty of cursing our children more than we know? Today I see it in broken families, I am sad to say, generational curses exists in forms of habitual patterns of behavior handed down from one generation to another. Women are without husbands, and sons and daughters are without fathers. Single mothers rotate men in and out of children's lives. It is no wonder to me that sons and daughters have such a low view of men or even themselves. They expect men to be disposable, and they expect men to treat them as their mothers are treated, abandoning relationships and holding low the role of fatherhood without consideration. Even to the tenth generation, simply incredible, to acknowledge how far reaching our decisions impact others. So many people think sin affects only themselves by refusing to see how far around them sin extends. While I do expect to be remembered for two generations, maybe three if I am lucky, I am sure my behavior (which I hope for good) through my children will be passed down from one generation to another.

Your thoughts?
    Godbless,
    William

The curse is one of consequences for actions, not punishment from God. To view it otherwise places it at odds with passages like Ezekiel 18 ... where the Justice and mercy of God is revealed in no uncertain or ambiguous terms. As one born under a heavy load of generational curses from multiple generations of 'fathers' who neither knew God nor acknowledged him as God, I take inexpressible delight in the fact that God can, and apparently has, broken the curse in a single generation and my daughter does not need to bear the burden of either my father's sins or my sins. She is the first of the countless generations to whom God has promised his love.
    Comment>

That verse, and many others, speaks of God's uncompromising standards. The Bible, including the teachings of Christ, is full of "hard sayings" that most modern Christians would prefer to ignore or distort. Israel was a demonstration in the corruptness of men, even when the law was designed to protect people from corrupting influences. But... In Christianity, anyone who repents of their sins, and rejects all sin, is welcome in the assembly of God. But, with the "immoral brother", do not associate with him, do not even eat with him.

Comment>

​"Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it" Prov 22:6 certainly applies to us today.

The best of parents, unless they are already overcomers of everything as Jesus was, still make mistakes and their children directly or indirectly often suffer as a result.

Saved parents are still not perfect parents. Who is it who has always trained up his children exactly as they should have been trained?

Our sins are not our children's sins, but our ways which lead us to sin are often imitated by our children so that they begin sinning all by themselves according our example.

In the verse quoted in the OP it is talking about an unequal yoking which the NT testament also declares is wrong. Generally we might want to say there are no exceptions, but then we might remember, Hosea. The 10 generations likely will be a type or shadow for us as well. Perhaps someone else here could tell us how the 10 would relate to us.

Comment>

Originally posted by Amadeus View Post
          The 10 generations likely will be a type or shadow for us as well. Perhaps someone else here could tell us how the 10 would relate to us.
          I believe the 10th has some thinking that the 11th generation may enter. The 10th Generation means "never" according to its following verse Deuteronomy 23:3 " "No Ammonite or Moabite may enter the assembly of the LORD. Even to the tenth generation, none of them may enter the assembly of the LORD forever", as well as Nehemiah 13:1. And I think you're right on Amadeus, about an unequal yoking, as well as recognizing a common theme throughout the OT. Israel was warned countless times of not taking to itself or rather being absorbed into the customs, or the culture of surrounding nations, which brings to mind emphasis on purity of our faith.

As to how the 10th generation relates to us through typology, as mentioned before, forever, which is probably an idiom that denotes permanent exclusion for all who reject the God of Israel. The OT looks forward to a New Covenant in which the exclusions are transcended in Isaiah 56:3-8, though even under the Old Covenant, all those who trusted in the God of Israel could join the community of Israel Ruth 1:4; 4:17; Matthew 1:5.

Last thought, Jesus Christ, to what extent do the consequences of rejecting Jesus' lineage as being begotten by the Holy Spirit in Mary's womb extend? Besides the curse of Jeconiah, if we were to believe some of the stories about how Mary came to pregnancy, verses such as Deuteronomy 23:2 would only complicate matters even worse.

God bless,
          William
          Comment>

Originally posted by atpollard View Post
            The curse is one of consequences for actions, not punishment from God. To view it otherwise places it at odds with passages like Ezekiel 18 ... where the Justice and mercy of God is revealed in no uncertain or ambiguous terms. As one born under a heavy load of generational curses from multiple generations of 'fathers' who neither knew God nor acknowledged him as God, I take inexpressible delight in the fact that God can, and apparently has, broken the curse in a single generation and my daughter does not need to bear the burden of either my father's sins or my sins. She is the first of the countless generations to whom God has promised his love.
            I agree with what you say, above. I've been working with inmates since 2005 and see the effects of the sins of the parents upon their sons & daughters. My «clients» almost always come from terribly twisted families. In fact, I can only recall one inmate who came from a well-to-do, well-adjusted family. In the majority of cases, once these men and women are released from jail, they return to their deviant lifestyle. And they pass it on to their children...

On the bright side, I remember one man, a murderer, who was befriended by a nun in jail. Much to my amazement, she led him to Christ. His turnaround was so complete that I believe he is a genuine Christian. That man now runs an organization that helps the poor. Only God can turn things around like this.

PermaFrost
            Comment>
            Working...
            X
            Articles - News - SiteMap