A question about Revelation 22:18-19

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question about Revelation 22:18-19

In Revelation 22:18-19, we read the following precept: “For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book: And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.” Can someone show me the scriptural passage that exempts Martin Luther from the above injunction?

Hi Zeland, I don't believe Martin Luther is exempt from God's warning in v18-19 (why would he be?). Your OP question seems to imply that he added to and/or subtracted from the words of St. John in Revelation. If he did, I wasn't aware of it, so please tell me/us where these additions and/or subtractions can be found?

Thanks!

--David
    Simul Justus et Peccator ~Martin Luther

"We are justified by faith alone, but the faith that justifies is never alone" ~John Calvin

"The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us." ~C. S. Lewis

"The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances" ~Elisabeth Elliot

"The law is for the self-righteous to humble their pride; the Gospel is for the lost to remove their despair. ~C. H. Spurgeon
    Comment>

Originally posted by zeland View Post
      Can someone show me the scriptural passage that exempts Martin Luther from the above injunction?
      Of course he isn't exempt, but there is no evidence he ever added to or took away anything from the Bible. The only thing he did with the Bible was translate it into German so the common people would be able to read and understand it.
      Clyde Herrin's Blog
      Comment>

Originally posted by theophilus View Post
        Of course he isn't exempt, but there is no evidence he ever added to or took away anything from the Bible. The only thing he did with the Bible was translate it into German so the common people would be able to read and understand it.
        Yup, Luther didn't even commentate on Revelation. I read that Luther considered Revelation too "cryptic".

If that's Zelands argument, Theo, then Tyndale would of been a better target to such an objection.

God bless,
        William
        Comment>
        Working...
        X
        Articles - News - SiteMap