Is this true......?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this true......?

This is a question about Mark 7:24-30 where Jesus has a conversation with a woman. I tried to search the meaning or what was being discussed but am still not very sure. My Pastor told me that the Woman was teaching Jesus a lesson on being too judgmental. The fact that Jesus was being taught a lesson shocked me and since I don't like arguing about the scripture I didn't ask any more questions. What do you think about this scripture?

The woman wasn't teaching Jesus anything. Her daughter had an unclean spirit and she was asking Jesus for help. Jesus's apparent refusal to help her at first was evidently meant to test her faith.

Have you ever wondered why a gentile woman would have such strong faith in the first place? We can't know for sure but perhaps this is the explanation:

A Canaanite woman’s faith | clydeherrin
    Clyde Herrin's Blog
    Comment>

Jesus was never wrong in the rest of the Gospels, why would your pastor suggest that he was lacking knowledge in that passage? I believe that the way Jesus decided to question and answer her further shows how Jesus came to save Jews as well as the gentiles. This story was another example of great faith amongst the gentile people e.g. Luke 7:2-10.
      Comment>

Quite honestly your pastor is completely in the wrong. Jesus is God made man, which means He has all the wisdom and knowledge of the Father. This is evidenced whenever he would talk to the Pharasees, and other elders among the Jews. He knew their hearts and what they were going to try and test Him on and He always turned the table on them.

I agree with theophilus on the point that Jesus was testing the woman's faith. Not to see what she would do, because He already knew, but did it for her benefit.
        Comment>

Originally posted by ptahm22 View Post
          Mark 7:24-30. My Pastor told me that the Woman was teaching Jesus a lesson on being too judgmental. The fact that Jesus was being taught a lesson shocked me and since I don't like arguing about the scripture I didn't ask any more questions. What do you think about this scripture?
          I don't think your pastor knows who Jesus Christ really is or he would have never said what he did. As for being shocked, I would've been too.

*(cf John 3:17; John 12:47)
          Simul Justus et Peccator ~Martin Luther

"We are justified by faith alone, but the faith that justifies is never alone" ~John Calvin

"The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us." ~C. S. Lewis

"The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances" ~Elisabeth Elliot

"The law is for the self-righteous to humble their pride; the Gospel is for the lost to remove their despair. ~C. H. Spurgeon
          Comment>
          Working...
          X
          Articles - News - SiteMap