Wine skins.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine skins.

There is a certain verse in the book of Matthew and other gospels. It's about new and old wine skins. I don't clearly get what it means and I need your help to have a better understanding of it.

Just some verses in the New Living Translation (easy to read) to get things started:

Job 32:16-19
    16 Should I continue to wait, now that you are silent?
    Must I also remain silent?
    17 No, I will say my piece.
    I will speak my mind.
    18 For I am full of pent-up words,
    and the spirit within me urges me on.
    19 I am like a cask of wine without a vent,
    like a new wineskin ready to burst!

20 I must speak to find relief,
    so let me give my answers.

From Job, Elihu talks about being so full of words that if he does not speak, then he will burst like a new wineskin!

Matthew 9:14-17
    14 One day the disciples of John the Baptist came to Jesus and asked him, “Why don’t your disciples fast like we do and the Pharisees do?”
    15 Jesus replied, “Do wedding guests mourn while celebrating with the groom? Of course not. But someday the groom will be taken away from them, and then they will fast.
    16 “Besides, who would patch old clothing with new cloth? For the new patch would shrink and rip away from the old cloth, leaving an even bigger tear than before.
    17 “And no one puts new wine into old wineskins. For the old skins would burst from the pressure, spilling the wine and ruining the skins. New wine is stored in new wineskins so that both are preserved.”

Mark 2:22
    18 Once when John’s disciples and the Pharisees were fasting, some people came to Jesus and asked, “Why don’t your disciples fast like John’s disciples and the Pharisees do?”
    19 Jesus replied, “Do wedding guests fast while celebrating with the groom? Of course not. They can’t fast while the groom is with them. 20 But someday the groom will be taken away from them, and then they will fast.
    21 “Besides, who would patch old clothing with new cloth? For the new patch would shrink and rip away from the old cloth, leaving an even bigger tear than before.
    22 “And no one puts new wine into old wineskins. For the wine would burst the wineskins, and the wine and the skins would both be lost. New wine calls for new wineskins.”

Luke 5:33-39
    33 One day some people said to Jesus, “John the Baptist’s disciples fast and pray regularly, and so do the disciples of the Pharisees. Why are your disciples always eating and drinking?”
    34 Jesus responded, “Do wedding guests fast while celebrating with the groom? Of course not. 35 But someday the groom will be taken away from them, and then they will fast.”
    36 Then Jesus gave them this illustration: “No one tears a piece of cloth from a new garment and uses it to patch an old garment. For then the new garment would be ruined, and the new patch wouldn’t even match the old garment.
    37 “And no one puts new wine into old wineskins. For the new wine would burst the wineskins, spilling the wine and ruining the skins. 38 New wine must be stored in new wineskins. 39 But no one who drinks the old wine seems to want the new wine. ‘The old is just fine,’ they say.”

Comment>

Commentary on Matthew 9 by David Guzik:

(Mat 9:15-17) The principle: things are different now that the Messiah is here.

And Jesus said to them, "Can the friends of the bridegroom mourn as long as the bridegroom is with them? But the days will come when the bridegroom will be taken away from them, and then they will fast. No one puts a piece of unshrunk cloth on an old garment; for the patch pulls away from the garment, and the tear is made worse. Nor do they put new wine into old wineskins, or else the wineskins break, the wine is spilled, and the wineskins are ruined. But they put new wine into new wineskins, and both are preserved."

a. Can the friends of the bridegroom mourn as long as the bridegroom is with them? It wasn't right for Jesus' disciples to imitate the Pharisees in their hypocritical shows. Nor was it right for them to imitate John's disciples in their ministry of humble preparation, because the disciples lived in the experienced what John tried to prepare people for.
      b. But the days will come: There would come a day when fasting is appropriate for Jesus' followers. But at the present time, when Jesus was among them, it was not that day.

i. The old Puritan commentator John Trapp drew three points from this:

1. That fasting is not abolished with the ceremonial law, but still to be used as a duty of the gospel.
      2. That times of heaviness are times of humiliation.
      3. That our halcyons here are but as marriage-feasts, for continuance; they last not long.

ii. There is a slight dark note in the words, "the days will come when the bridegroom will be taken away from them." It was as if Jesus said, "They are going to take Me away; I threaten their system." It is the first slight hint of His coming rejection.

c. Nor do they put new wine into old wineskins, or else the wineskins break: With this illustration of the wineskins, Jesus explained that He did not come to repair or reform the old institutions of Judaism, but to institute a new covenant altogether. The new covenant doesn't just improve the old; it replaces it and goes beyond it.

d. But they put new wine into new wineskins, and both are preserved: Jesus' reference to the wineskins was His announcement that the present institutions of Judaism could not and would not contain His new wine. He would form a new institution - the church - that would bring Jew and Gentile together into a completely new body (Ephesians 2:16).

i. Jesus reminds us that what is old and stagnant often cannot be renewed or reformed. God will often look for new vessels to contain His new work, until those vessels eventually make themselves unusable. This reminds us that the religious establishment of any age is not necessarily pleasing to Jesus. Sometimes it is in direct opposition to, or at least resisting His work.

ii. Jesus came to introduce something new, not to patch up something old. This is what salvation is all about. In doing this, Jesus doesn't destroy the old (the law), but He fulfills it, just as an acorn is fulfilled when it grows into an oak tree. There is a sense in which the acorn is gone, but its purpose is fulfilled in greatness.
      Comment>

Matthew Henry on Mark 2:18-28 (section focusing on Mark 2:22):

That these were early days with them, and they were not so able for the severe exercises of religion as hereafter they would be. The Pharisees had long accustomed themselves to such austerities; and John Baptist himself came neither eating nor drinking. His disciples from the first inured themselves to hardships, and thus found it easier to bear strict and frequent fasting, but it was not so with Christ's disciples; their Master came eating and drinking, and had not bred them up to the difficult services of religion as yet, for it was all in good time. To put them upon such frequent fasting at first, would be a discouragement to them, and perhaps drive them off from following Christ; it would be of as ill consequence as putting new wine into old casks, or sewing new cloth to that which is worn thin and threadbare, v. 21, 22. Note, God graciously considers the frame of young Christians, that are weak and tender, and so must we; nor must we expect more than the work of the day in its day, and that day according to the strength, because it is not in our hands to give strength according to the day. Many contract an antipathy to some kind of food, otherwise good, by being surfeited with it when they are young; so, many entertain prejudices against the exercises of devotion by being burthened with them, and made to serve with an offering, at their setting out. Weak Christians must take heed of over-tasking themselves, and of making the yoke of Christ otherwise than as it is, easy, and sweet, and pleasant.
        Comment>

Commentary on Luke 5 by David Guzik:

(Luk 5:33-39) Jesus declares that under Him, things are different.

Then they said to Him, "Why do the disciples of John fast often and make prayers, and likewise those of the Pharisees, but Yours eat and drink?" And He said to them, "Can you make the friends of the bridegroom fast while the bridegroom is with them? But the days will come when the bridegroom will be taken away from them; then they will fast in those days." Then He spoke a parable to them: "No one puts a piece from a new garment on an old one; otherwise the new makes a tear, and also the piece that was taken out of the new does not match the old. And no one puts new wine into old wineskins; or else the new wine will burst the wineskins and be spilled, and the wineskins will be ruined. But new wine must be put into new wineskins, and both are preserved. And no one, having drunk old wine, immediately desires new; for he says, 'The old is better.'"

a. Can you make the friends of the bridegroom fast while the bridegroom is with them? Jesus answered their question with an allusion to the wedding practices of His day. A wedding feast was the most vivid picture of joy and happiness in that culture. During the weeklong wedding feast it was understood that joy was more important than conformity to religious rituals. If any ceremonial observance would detract from the joy of a wedding feast, it was not required. Jesus says that His followers should have this kind of happiness.

i. Basically, they though Jesus was too happy. When was the last time you were accused of being too cheerful or too happy?

b. No one puts a piece from a new garment on an old one: "Patching up an old garment with a piece of a new garment not only disfigures the new garment, but also causes the old garment to become more ragged than ever, for the new piece has still to shrink and will then pull the old threadbare garment to pieces. Just as fatal will it be to adapt the principles of Jesus to the old systems." (Geldenhuys)

c. But new wine must be put into new wineskins, and both are preserved: Jesus' point is clear. You can't fit His new life into the old forms. This explains why Jesus did not begin a reform movement within Judaism, working with the rabbinical schools and such. Jesus says, "I haven't come to patch up your old practices. I come with a whole new set of clothes."

d. And no one, having drunk old wine, immediately desires new; for he says, "The old is better": Just because people are more comfortable with the old, they assume that it is better. The epitaph on the tombstone of many a dead church reads: "We never did it that way before."
          Comment>

Fermenting wine would stretch the old skin. Hence "new wine is put into fresh wineskins, and so both are preserved." In other words the old wineskin has already been stretched out. Since the old wineskin has already been stretched out a patch would not hold.

The bigger point has to do with old covenant verse the new covenant. A patch will simply not work, new wine requires a new wineskin. Note who the audience is, the Pharisees and their scribes. Their system simply will not work.
            Last edited by Origen; 01-20-2017, 06:08 PM.
            Comment>
            Working...
            X
            Articles - News - SiteMap