Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1John 3:13 If the World Hates You

If the World Hates You
    1John 3:13 Do not be surprised, my brothers, if the world hates you.

Jesus said, "If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you." John 15:18,19

And why did the world hate Jesus? Jesus said, "It hates me because I testify that what it does is evil."John 7:7 If you are born of God you should expect the world to hate you. And why would the world hate you? Because, just like Jesus, you are to testify that what it does is evil.

The world hates being convicted of sin. In fact when you convict the worldly of sin, they typically will respond by claiming that you hate them. Such is the case of false brethren in the Christian community. If other Christians hate you for illegitimate reasons, don't be surprised if they turn out to be children of the devil.

I agree.
    Like so many great truths of scripture, this one terrifies me in its power for mis-application. How many people have come to Christ Forums with a heart 'spoiling for a fight' to attack and recieve attacks. How many times have they worn the justly earned rebuke of their deliberately provocative nature as a badge of honor ... they feel the persecution of the righteous for the sake of proclaiming the truth.

Of course, anyone not a babe in their faith can see that there was no love, and where there is no love, there is nothing.

Thus I could not agree more that we must be prepared to be hated by the world for standing with Christ. For saying, wrong is wrong because God does not change. However, we must be terrified in our vigilance that it is for Christ that we are suffering and hated. It is far too easy to fall into self-delusion that we alone are righteous and we alone stand with God and His angels.

Faith, Hope and Love ... but the greatest of these is Love. (To be willing to say or do what is necessary, however unpopular, for the greatest benefit for another.)
    Comment>

Originally posted by bcbsr View Post
      If the World Hates You
      1John 3:13 Do not be surprised, my brothers, if the world hates you.

Jesus said, "If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you." John 15:18,19

And why did the world hate Jesus? Jesus said, "It hates me because I testify that what it does is evil."John 7:7If you are born of God you should expect the world to hate you. And why would the world hate you? Because, just like Jesus, you are to testify that what it does is evil.

The world hates being convicted of sin. In fact when you convict the worldly of sin, they typically will respond by claiming that you hate them. Such is the case of false brethren in the Christian community. If other Christians hate you for illegitimate reasons, don't be surprised if they turn out to be children of the devil.
      Hi BCBSR, I think St. Paul echos the very same sentiments in 2 Timothy 3 when he said:
      12 Indeed, all who desire to live godly in Christ Jesus will be persecuted.
      13 But evil men and impostors will proceed from bad to worse, deceiving and being deceived.
      These are important facts to know, especially for those who are young in the faith (so they won't lose hope on the one hand, or be drawn too far away from the faith by impostors & their deceitful teachings on the other)!

And for those of us who are more mature, suffering persecution simply for being a Christian and living like one is strong evidence that we really are leading a godly life in Christ (and not just deceiving ourselves). Of course, living in a country/culture that is (at least) somewhat friendly to Christians is certainly different than the culture that St. Paul was living in when he wrote 2 Timothy. That said, 'never' experiencing persecution in this life, even if we live most of it in a Christian friendly culture, should be our cue to follow another one of St. Paul's admonishments to us, IOW, that we need to examine ourselves .. 2 Corinthians 13:5.

In Christ,
      David

"Test yourselves to see if you are in the faith"
      2 Corinthians 13:5a

Last edited by David Lee; 07-25-2016, 12:13 AM.
      Simul Justus et Peccator ~Martin Luther

"We are justified by faith alone, but the faith that justifies is never alone" ~John Calvin

"The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us." ~C. S. Lewis

"The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances" ~Elisabeth Elliot

"The law is for the self-righteous to humble their pride; the Gospel is for the lost to remove their despair. ~C. H. Spurgeon
      Comment>
      Working...
      X
      Articles - News - SiteMap