Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1John 3:7-8 Don't be Deceived

Don't be Deceived

1John 3:7-8 Dear children, do not let anyone lead you astray. He who does what is right is righteous, just as he is righteous. He who does what is sinful is of the devil, because the devil has been sinning from the beginning. The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the devil’s work.

There are many warnings in the New Testament concerning being led astray in this matter. Both in the early church and today many Christians are led astray to believe that there is not necessarily any correlation between one's behavior and one's salvation status. The Bible warns:
    1Cor 6:9,10 Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.

Galatians 6:7 Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows.

Ephesians 5:5,6 For of this you can be sure: No immoral, impure or greedy person— such a man is an idolater— has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God. Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of such things God’s wrath comes on those who are disobedient.
    To the unbelievers Jesus said, "You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father’s desire. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies." John 8:44 Those who are children of God reflect the character of their Father, and likewise the children of the devil theirs as will further be elaborated upon in the next verses.

Thank you for the scriptures. In the past I believe perhaps I have been deceived. I wonder how to tell when I am being deceived. Does this mean we should examine someone's fruit before ingesting their teaching? How can I know if they are wicked in private? Actually now that I think about it, it seems to mean not to be deceived by believing we can live wickedly and get away with it. Is that a good summation? So now I am wondering, does this mean being greedy occasionally will instantly forfeit someone's inheritance, or is it just a symptom of not having the inheritance in the first place?
    Comment>

Originally posted by bluebetta View Post
      Thank you for the scriptures. In the past I believe perhaps I have been deceived. I wonder how to tell when I am being deceived. Does this mean we should examine someone's fruit before ingesting their teaching? How can I know if they are wicked in private? Actually now that I think about it, it seems to mean not to be deceived by believing we can live wickedly and get away with it. Is that a good summation? So now I am wondering, does this mean being greedy occasionally will instantly forfeit someone's inheritance, or is it just a symptom of not having the inheritance in the first place?
      G'day Bluebetta,

I have a motto that I base on Matthew 15:14 - "it is not what goes into the mouth that defiles a person, but what comes out of the mouth; this defiles a person.”

A person will tell you everything you need to hear. We just need to listen, and sometimes we need to listen longer while exhibiting patience before we act.

First, I am not suggesting you to be ungracious or uncharitable towards others, but you can use this forum as an exercise. Listen to what people say, listen to what they say compared to biblical teaching, even on the topic of politics, music, movies etc... If you are reading the bible and can compare what it says to what some are saying....
      • Matthew 10:16 “Behold, I am sending you out as sheep in the midst of wolves, so be wise as serpents and innocent as doves.

God bless,
      William
      Comment>

Originally posted by bluebetta View Post
        I would say that one's behavior is a symptom of one's salvation status rather than the cause of it.

And the application John is alluding to both includes examining ourselves and others. "Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves. Do you not realize that Christ Jesus is in you— unless, of course, you fail the test? And I trust that you will discover that we have not failed the test." 2Cor 13:5,6 In saying this the apostle Paul expected Christians not only to examine himself, but also to examine him, as did the Bereans in Acts 17:11.

Trust and aligning ourselves with someone should involve examining their fruit. But as for teaching, it's possible for the wicked to be scripturally correct from time to time.
        Comment>

I believe the easiest way to see if you have been deceived is to go straight to scripture. That is all a person needs to determine if a person is a false teacher or not. If the person is adding to the scripture, or taking away from it, then the person is a false teacher in my opinion. And if the blind lead the blind, they do both fall in the ditch. This is why many people are particularly careful about listening to another person's teachings.
          Comment>
          Working...
          X
          Articles - News - SiteMap