Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1John 2:28 Confident Faith

Confident Faith

1John 2:28 And now, dear children, continue in him, so that when he appears we may be confident and unashamed before him at his coming.

To shrink back in shame at his coming indicates one is not saved, as it says in Heb 10:37-39 "For in just a very little while, 'He who is coming will come and will not delay. But my righteous one will live by faith. And if he shrinks back, I will not be pleased with him.' (Hab 2:4 LXX) But we are not of those who shrink back and are destroyed, but of those who believe and are saved."

Jesus said, "If anyone is ashamed of me and my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, the Son of Man will be ashamed of him when he comes in his Father’s glory with the holy angels." Mr 8:38

Furthermore the Greek word for "confident" indicates "freedom in speaking, unreservedness in speech", much as Jesus said, "whoever confesses Me before men, him I will also confess before My Father who is in heaven. But whoever denies Me before men, him I will also deny before My Father who is in heaven." Mt 10:32,33

Thus what constitutes legitimate faith in Christ is not the "secret" faith of the rulers of John 12:42 who "believed in him. But because of the Pharisees they would not confess their faith for fear they would be put out of the synagogue" Rather, saving faith confidently confesses Christ.

Greetings bcbsr,

I agree (with the slight caution that I would not want to OVER emphasize speech) ... I actually like the word 'deportment' ... walk like you believe it!

Strong's lists ...
    1. freedom in speaking, unreservedness in speech
    1a. openly, frankly, i.e without concealment
    1b. without ambiguity or circumlocution
    1c. without the use of figures and comparisons
    2. free and fearless confidence, cheerful courage, boldness, assurance
    3. the deportment by which one becomes conspicuous or secures publicity

And looking just at other places in 1 John where the same word is used ...

1Jo 2:28 And now, dear children, continue in him, so that when he appears we may be confident and unashamed before him at his coming.
    1Jo 3:21 Dear friends, if our hearts do not condemn us, we have confidence before God
    1Jo 4:17 This is how love is made complete among us so that we will have confidence on the day of judgment: In this world we are like Jesus.
    1Jo 5:14 This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us.

I am not sure that I am comfortable with the mental picture of our confidence before God also being "unreserved speech" in some of these other cases.

With that caveat, I completely agree that we are to carry ourselves tall and proud (not pride in me, but pride in Jesus) that Christ has chosen us. Built up by Him and empowered to do the work He prepared in advance.
    I read many calls for humility among Christians in scriptures, but can't recall any admonitions to stealth in our Christian walk.

God Bless,
    Arthur

Comment>

Online Bible Lexicon for "parrhesia"

1) freedom in speaking, unreservedness in speech
      1a) openly, frankly, i.e without concealment
      1b) without ambiguity or circumlocution
      1c) without the use of figures and comparisons
      2) free and fearless confidence, cheerful courage, boldness, assurance
      3) the deportment by which one becomes conspicuous or secures publicity

And here are examples of its usage

Mr 8:32 He spoke this word openly <3954>. And Peter took Him aside and began to rebuke Him.
      Joh 7:4 "For no one does anything in secret while he himself seeks to be known openly <3954>. If You do these things, show Yourself to the world."
      Joh 7:13 However, no one spoke openly <3954> of Him for fear of the Jews.
      Joh 7:26 "But look! He speaks boldly <3954>, and they say nothing to Him. Do the rulers know indeed that this is truly the Christ?
      Joh 10:24 Then the Jews surrounded Him and said to Him, "How long do You keep us in doubt? If You are the Christ, tell us plainly <3954>."
      Joh 11:14 Then Jesus said to them plainly <3954>, "Lazarus is dead.
      Joh 16:25 "These things I have spoken to you in figurative language; but the time is coming when I will no longer speak to you in figurative language, but I will tell you plainly <3954> about the Father.
      Joh 16:29 His disciples said to Him, "See, now You are speaking plainly <3954>, and using no figure of speech!
      Joh 18:20 Jesus answered him, "I spoke openly <3954> to the world. I always taught in synagogues and in the temple, where the Jews always meet, and in secret I have said nothing.
      Ac 2:29 "Men and brethren, let me speak freely <3954> to you of the patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried, and his tomb is with us to this day.
      Ac 4:13 Now when they saw the boldness <3954> of Peter and John, and perceived that they were uneducated and untrained men, they marveled. And they realized that they had been with Jesus.
      Ac 4:29 "Now, Lord, look on their threats, and grant to Your servants that with all boldness <3954> they may speak Your word,
      Ac 4:31 And when they had prayed, the place where they were assembled together was shaken; and they were all filled with the Holy Spirit, and they spoke the word of God with boldness <3954>.
      Ac 28:31 preaching the kingdom of God and teaching the things which concern the Lord Jesus Christ with all confidence <3954>, no one forbidding him.
      2Co 3:12 Therefore, since we have such hope, we use great boldness of speech <3954>——
      2Co 7:4 Great is my boldness of speech <3954> toward you, great is my boasting on your behalf. I am filled with comfort. I am exceedingly joyful in all our tribulation.
      Eph 6:19 and for me, that utterance may be given to me, that I may open my mouth boldly <3954> to make known the mystery of the gospel,
      Php 1:20 according to my earnest expectation and hope that in nothing I shall be ashamed, but with all boldness <3954>, as always, so now also Christ will be magnified in my body, whether by life or by death.
      Col 2:15 Having disarmed principalities and powers, He made a public <3954> spectacle of them, triumphing over them in it.

The word "parrhesia" is from "pas" + "rheo"
      "rheo" means to speak.

So while there are other types of boldness, John is primarily focusing on speech and public testimony.
      Comment>
      Working...
      X
      Articles - News - SiteMap