Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1John 2:15,16*Do Not Love the World

Do Not Love the World

1John 2:15,16 Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For everything in the world— the cravings of sinful man, the lust of his eyes and the boasting of what he has and does— comes not from the Father but from the world.

We are not to love worldliness. We are not to conform our desires and goals to the sinful society in which we live, though the society rewards those who do so. The passions of the flesh and the praise of men, these are not what are to control the children of God. "Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is— his good, pleasing and perfect will." Rom 12:2

One can't have two masters. You can't love the world and also love God. Just like the rich young man who came to Christ but was unwilling to let his wealth go so do people these days. They are so engrossed with worldly pursuits for pleasure and material possessions that they choose them over God forgetting that we should not be storing up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal.
    Comment>

Is it just me, or has the Church embraced the world WAY too much.
      I kept hearing about some wonderful services happening on Monday nights and we attended this past Monday. Two hours of hearing how much God wanted to glorify Man left me wanting to weep. It was nothing new, just classic prosperity drivel and pseudo-prophecy. I was just shocked by the quantity of people, many long-time Christians, gathering to drink the kool-aid.

My daughter asked my wife what she thought of it. My wife avoided answering and passed the question on to me. I hate to speak negative about the Church, but when cornered had to admit that "I wanted to weep. Church is about glorifying God, and that was not what happened there, tonight." My wife said that she knew those were going to be my exact words.

Sometimes I struggle with when to remain silent and avoid stirring up dissent among the body, and when is it time to raise your hand and ask for 15 minutes to give a rebuttal? ;)
      Mostly I pray. often rather intensely, and give an honest answer to anyone who asks ... and focus on teaching what God says to the Tuesday Night men's group.

2 Timothy 4:3 "For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear."
      Comment>

Originally posted by atpollard View Post
        Is it just me, or has the Church embraced the world WAY too much.
        I kept hearing about some wonderful services happening on Monday nights and we attended this past Monday. Two hours of hearing how much God wanted to glorify Man left me wanting to weep. It was nothing new, just classic prosperity drivel and pseudo-prophecy. I was just shocked by the quantity of people, many long-time Christians, gathering to drink the kool-aid.

My daughter asked my wife what she thought of it. My wife avoided answering and passed the question on to me. I hate to speak negative about the Church, but when cornered had to admit that "I wanted to weep. Church is about glorifying God, and that was not what happened there, tonight." My wife said that she knew those were going to be my exact words.

Sometimes I struggle with when to remain silent and avoid stirring up dissent among the body, and when is it time to raise your hand and ask for 15 minutes to give a rebuttal? ;)
        Mostly I pray. often rather intensely, and give an honest answer to anyone who asks ... and focus on teaching what God says to the Tuesday Night men's group.

2 Timothy 4:3 "For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear."

Unfortunately, you are 100% correct. I couldn't agree more with the entirety of your comment. It is so sad to see what a lot of churches are coming to. Prayer is our only hope, and if God guides us to speak up then we speak up. All this type of doctrine does is tickle people's ears. I guess we should expect this, since it is Biblical prophecy, but it doesn't make it any less sad. People are flocking to it because it is so easy and makes you feel good. We don't need a feel good gospel, we need our hearts to break for this world. Only then can we have true revival.
        Comment>

I hate to speak negative about the Church,
          When a church is teaches error you must speak negatively about it to keep it from deceiving others and to warn those who have been deceived by its teaching.
          Clyde Herrin's Blog
          Comment>

Originally posted by theophilus View Post
            When a church is teaches error you must speak negatively about it to keep it from deceiving others and to warn those who have been deceived by its teaching.
            That sounds good, but I hope you don't mind if I call you on it.

Hypotetically, you are visiting a church and the guest speaker begins to preach that God wants to bless these people and give them more than they could possibly imagine. That "by His stripes we are healed" therefore they have already been healed of their sicknesses and now need to begin to thank God for the healing that has already taken place ...

... Clearly they are teaching error.

Would YOU disrupt the service to challenge this false teaching?

This is my struggle. If I speak, I sow disorder. If I remain silent, error goes unchallenged. I find myself in a loose-loose situation.
            Comment>

Would YOU disrupt the service to challenge this false teaching?
              Of course I wouldn't disrupt the service but if I had the chance I would speak privately to the people who attended the church.
              Clyde Herrin's Blog
              Comment>

Originally posted by theophilus View Post
                Of course I wouldn't disrupt the service but if I had the chance I would speak privately to the people who attended the church.
                Thank you for the clarification.

(Although technically, shouldn't I be confronting the person teaching error in private first. Then with the Pastor of that church and two or three witnesses. Only then should it be a matter for the full body?)

Speaking privately with the people feels a bit like gossip ... not quite, but too close for comfort.
                Or perhaps I just lack boldness. I know how innately distructive my old nature can be. This tongue requires a tight reign.
                Comment>
                Working...
                X
                Articles - News - SiteMap