Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1Jn 2:3,4*Evidence from Obedience

Evidence from Obedience

1Jn 2:3,4 We know that we have come to know him if we obey his commands. The man who says, "I know him," but does not do what he commands is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

This is one of the external evidences that one has come to know Christ. Jesus said, "Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven." Mt 7:21 In fact referring to Jesus as Lord is not supposed to be simply an acknowledgement of his Diety, but rather it's supposed to imply one's intention of doing what he says. Thus Jesus asks the rhetorical question, "Why do you call me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ and do not do what I say?" Luke 6:46

A person has not come to know Christ, let alone believe in him, if they have simply prayed a prayer to be saved without any actual intention of obeying him. That is not the kind of faith the qualifies one for salvation. But unlike Catholicism this is not to say that one's works are a cause and not merely a fruit of one's justification. Neither behavior nor ceremony, but rather attitude is the prerequisite for justification. One's works reflect rather than cause one's salvation status.
Working...
X
Articles - News - SiteMap