Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1Jn 2:1 We have an Advocate

We have an Advocate

1Jn 2:1 My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have one who speaks to the Father in our defense— Jesus Christ, the Righteous One

Jesus is our defense attorney such that we need not be concerned of speaking in our own defense on the judgement day as others must. Jesus speaks on our behalf. So in answer to the question as to how you should respond if God were to ask you on the judgement day, "Why should I let you into my kingdom?", you only need answer, "You'll have to talk to my attorney. He's sitting at your right hand side."

Another thing from this verse is the fact that though our sins are forgiven, this does not imply we have a license to sin. Much to the contrary, for Jesus "gave himself for us to redeem us from all wickedness and to purify for himself a people that are his very own, eager to do what is good." Titus 2;14 But at the same time, realize that those born of God might sin from time to time. The verse "does sin" is in the Aorist tense. It is not referring to one's lifestyle, but to events which occur from time to time uncharacteristic of one's lifestyle.

Originally posted by bcbsr View Post
    We have an Advocate

1Jn 2:1 My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have one who speaks to the Father in our defense— Jesus Christ, the Righteous One

Jesus is our defense attorney such that we need not be concerned of speaking in our own defense on the judgement day as others must. Jesus speaks on our behalf. So in answer to the question as to how you should respond if God were to ask you on the judgement day, "Why should I let you into my kingdom?", you only need answer, "You'll have to talk to my attorney. He's sitting at your right hand side."
    Hi BCBSR, actually, our Defense Attorney is so good at His job that He told us we won't even need to make an 'appearance' at the Judgment, not the one that you are referring to above anyway, PTL (Revelation 20:11-15) :)

See John 3:18a and John 5:24.

Yours and His,
    David
    "He who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me,
    has eternal life, and does not come into judgment,
    but has passed out of death into life"

John 5:24
    Simul Justus et Peccator ~Martin Luther

"We are justified by faith alone, but the faith that justifies is never alone" ~John Calvin

"The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us." ~C. S. Lewis

"The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances" ~Elisabeth Elliot

"The law is for the self-righteous to humble their pride; the Gospel is for the lost to remove their despair. ~C. H. Spurgeon
    Comment>

Excellent observation. I often use the John 5:24 with Catholics who don't realize that our final salvation from God's wrath is secured and guaranteed when we come to faith in Christ. Even the usage of the illustration of passing from death to life speaks of an event, and that unrepeatable, rather than an ongoing process or that which one can go in and out of.
      Comment>
      Working...
      X
      Articles - News - SiteMap