Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1Jn 1:8 Claiming to be Without Sin

Claiming to be Without Sin

1Jn 1:8 If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us.

There are those in the Christian community who claim to be without sin. Such people are also self-deceived, turning a blind eye to their own sins.
    This is not simply a denial of one's sinful nature. For in clarifying what is meant by the claim to be "without sin", John contrasts it with the idea of confessing our sins. Thus to claim to be without sin is the claim that a person no longer commits sins.

True that perhaps every Christian has certain blind spots in their lives, areas in which they are not aware of committing sin. For God tends to progressively reveal sin so that the person may mature gradually and not be overwhelmed and discouraged in the light of the depth of their sinfulness. But for a person to be completely bind to their own sin, such is indicative of one who is unsaved, walking in complete darkness.

Unfortunately it is these kinds of people who attend the mega-churches and get offended when they hear other preachers give sermons about sin. They are also the ones that try to promote "tolerance" of unbelievers and the sinful lives they live. Generally, you will find these people in Universalist churches.
    Comment>

The more "puffed" up, and the more "prideful" a person is the harder they fall when they realize they can't live up to that "perfect" expectation. If they only dare to examine themselves they may notice a thick layer of callous self deception that only the word of God - a double edge sword cuts through. What I also observe about these followers of "perfectionism" is that they like to take upon themselves the role of the Holy Spirit and convict others of sin while denying any wrong action/or inaction in their own lives. The irony is that they tend to separate themselves from the Church, and according to them all churches are apostate and fail to live up to their individual standard (as they are the standard bearer).

But on the topic of Universalist churches, ever notice that churches with Universal, Unitarian, or United in their name have questionable doctrine and liberal tendencies? Just something I noticed a little while back.

God bless,
      William
      Comment>

Actually the most common sects that use the rhetoric of sinless perfection are the holiness crowd. Followers of Charles Finney in particular. Though Wesley uses the term "Perfect Sanctification" which would seem to imply sinless perfection, but in fact if you analyze his writings he doesn't exclude sins due to ignorance, unintentional and perhaps some other categories. For me see a contrast between Finney and Wesley on this subject at the link below

Sinless Perfection
        Last edited by bcbsr; 05-27-2016, 03:15 PM. Reason: Link didn't work
        Comment>

Originally posted by bcbsr View Post
          Actually the most common sects that use the rhetoric of sinless perfection are the holiness crowd. Followers of Charles Finney in particular. Though Wesley uses the term "Perfect Sanctification" which would seem to imply sinless perfection, but in fact if you analyze his writings he doesn't exclude sins due to ignorance, unintentional and perhaps some other categories. For me see a contrast between Finney and Wesley on this subject at the link below
          Is that your site bcbsr? We also have a "Perfectionism" category under controversial doctrines in the forum. Unfortunately, it has been used by a person claiming to be from the Nazarenes.

Was just curious as to whether bcbsr.com is yours, thanks for sharing if so. A pretty good perspective from that page.

God bless,
          William
          Comment>

Originally posted by William View Post

Is that your site bcbsr?
            William
            Yes that's mine
            Comment>

No human can be sinless as Jesus was when He was here 2000 years ago. You know that even the apostles, after Jesus left, had their squabbles which I must was quite unChrist-like but we have His command that we should seek perfection. While we must admit that we are sinful [Isaiah admits that our most righteous deeds are like filthy rags] we should strive be more like Christ every day.
              Comment>
              Working...
              X
              Articles - News - SiteMap