What does it mean to truly pray?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does it mean to truly pray?

It means speaking the words within your heart to God, and communing with God having grasped His will and based upon His words; it means feeling particularly close to God, feeling that He is in front of you, and that you have something to say to Him; and it means being especially radiant within your heart, and feeling that God is especially lovely. ” (The Word Appears in the Flesh)

I always think of Hebrews 4:16 when prayer is the topic of discussion. We get to "boldly" come before God and ask Him for grace, mercy, and help. It is bold of us to ask Him for anything really, and through Jesus' we have this amazing privilege. I feel so blessed to know that God Himself wants to hear from me, and listens to me. It's an awesome feeling. God is awesome.
    Comment>

Pray for me is communicating with God. Talking to Him. I agree with Thisnthat, we are really privileged to ask God for anything through Jesus.
      To truly pray is that you are totally into God. You are so close to God that it is as if He is there with you and you are having a direct conversation with Him.
      Comment>

I feel the same way, like it's a direct conversation with Him. I can just talk to Him any time. Even just say what's on my mind. We get to talk to God, and He listens.

Sometimes, I think maybe I shouldn't "bother" Him with such little things (compared to what's going on in the rest of the Universe), but my mother keeps reminding me that He cares about every single thing that effects us. I honestly think it's the little stuff that means the most to me sometimes. Like how could He take the time to address something little just for me? It's amazing.
        Comment>

I believe a prayer is one where one is 100% honest and is praying in the spirit.
          I love Jesus' prayers they were always straight forward.
          But the most important thing about prayer is connection to the spirit as it leads and intercedes for us in ways we cannot comprehend. Additionally, only the spirit knows the will of God.
          Comment>

For me, to truly pray means to communicate with God and pour my heart out to Him trusting that He is listening to every word that I say, and knowing that He is a living, loving,and merciful God who is always looking after his children. Who is man that God should be mindful of him? Yet my God has been there for me all the time and has taken care of me throughout my life. He has repeatedly proven His faithfulness. I didn't deserve His grace, yet it was given to me. I can't help but be thankful for His love and for his presence in my life. I've always prayed as a child, but my prayers had always been memorized prayers. I've since grown up and I've learned to appreciate the value of truly praying to God and thanking Him for everything that's happening in my life.
            Comment>

In my view before going into prayers we should start by rendering songs and praises to God. We must acknowledge the fact we are sinners and pray for forgiveness before prayers. This way we are presenting ourselves clean to approach God who is Holy. Believing we have been forgiven then we can approach God in prayers pour out our heart desires to him tell him what we want him do for us. We should also ask God in what areas we should be more responsible to him. It's also important to hear from God.
              Comment>

Originally posted by Jamsy View Post
                For me, to truly pray means to communicate with God and pour my heart out to Him trusting that He is listening to every word that I say, and knowing that He is a living, loving,and merciful God who is always looking after his children. Who is man that God should be mindful of him? Yet my God has been there for me all the time and has taken care of me throughout my life. He has repeatedly proven His faithfulness. I didn't deserve His grace, yet it was given to me. I can't help but be thankful for His love and for his presence in my life. I've always prayed as a child, but my prayers had always been memorized prayers. I've since grown up and I've learned to appreciate the value of truly praying to God and thanking Him for everything that's happening in my life.
                Thanks Jamsy, you have reminded me of another point about memeorized prayers. I have always wondered why we memorize prayers while God wants us to have a real conversation.
                Comment>

Well said, Jamsy.

I don't think there is anything wrong with memorized prayers, like the Lord's prayer. I just think there needs to be more than that. At least for me there needs to be more. I feel the need to pour out my heart sometimes, and I also feel the need to thank Him, like you said.

I think memorized prayers are learning tools. Tools that teach us how to pray, and I don't see a problem with that. I just don't feel like they are enough for me, on their own, to have real communication with the Lord.
                  Comment>

I definitely agree with you on this, praying is the closet thing we have to communicate with God, it enables us to speak freely to him and ask for his forgiveness or help, it makes us feel whole and that he is truly by our side in every step of the way.
                    Comment>

I agree with memorized prayers. When I was young, it didn't sink in to me how wonderful the words are. But as I grow older, I get to understand everything and I pray wholeheartedly. The feeling that God is listening makes me at ease.
                      Comment>

The word of God says we should pray without ceasing, so I think for us to pray all the time we can always pray in our minds and also talk to God boldly. I feel the most important thing is praying according to the word and will of God. Just my opinion
                        Comment>

You make another really good point, befocused. Pray without ceasing was a hard thing for me to understand. Someone explained it to me as praying in regard to all things, no matter how great or how small. I was of the mindset that some things were just too small or unimportant to "bother" God with. The person told me that like a parent with His child, nothing is unimportant to Him. That was quite a blessing to me, to think that God himself cares even about the little things in my life.
                          Comment>

Reading these responses have been a blessing to me.

The only one I question is #7 -- praying for forgiveness for our sins Before praying to God. Being in a proper spirit / frame of mind For praying? We Are to bring our cares and concerns to Him. Isn't that like 'cleaning up our life' Before approaching Him For salvation. He wants our hearts / us /just the way we are.

He Wants us Before we brush our hair or put on our make-up. :)
                            Comment>

When you are out of resources and about to die, you learn how to pray really quick.
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap