Our Way of Life

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our Way of Life

I was struck by a phrase I heard quoted from a contemporary Bible translation. When I Google the phrase "our way of life" to locate the passage, many of the results focused on things people felt were threatening their expected way of living. Prominent among the perceived threats were climate change, terrorism, and government policies.

What really is our way of life as followers of Jesus? I wondered. IS it what makes us comfortable, secure, and happy, or is it something more?

Paul reminded the Christians is Ephesus of the remarkable way God had transformed their lives. "God , who is rich in mercy, out of the great love with which he loved us even when we were dead through our trespasses, make us alive together with Christ-by grace you have been saved: (Ephesians 2:4-5). The result is that we are "created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand to be our way of life" (verse 10 NRSV).

Doing good works, helping others, giving, loving, and serving in Jesus's name-these are to be our way of life. They are not optional activities for believers, but the very reason God has given us life in Christ.

In a changing world, God has called and empowered us to pursue a life that reaches out to others and honors Him.
    -Davide McCasland

Originally posted by LeapOfFaith89 View Post
    Doing good works, helping others, giving, loving, and serving in Jesus's name-these are to be our way of life. They are not optional activities for believers, but the very reason God has given us life in Christ.

In a changing world, God has called and empowered us to pursue a life that reaches out to others and honors Him.
    Truly that's the true way of life. I too sometimes windward but God doesn't let his people astray for long.
    Comment>

The way of life, according to the Bible, and the countless years I have spent listening to my Theology professors, is that, in its essence, being able to love your neighbor as you love yourself. They always say that, and at the core of every decision, you should have this one in mind. Not that God is watching, or you will go to eternal damnation if you don't, it's just that you should treat people in the same way that you would have done to yourself. Or better yet, think of it on their shoes, and a little bit of helping hand can go a long way. I have always found that to be a really simple mentality, and you really don't have to change the world, just changing the life of a friend, a coworker, or even a stranger on the bus to follow Jesus' way of life.
      Comment>

Many Christians often focus more on things that don't really matter when our focus should be on trying to be more like Christ. We must love God with all our hearts. Saying we love God doesn't make it so. We must prove that we do. How? By keeping His commandments one of which is to love our neighbors. If only Christians could love each other the world would be a much better place for everyone not just Christians.
        Comment>
        Working...
        X
        Articles - News - SiteMap