Who wrote the king James bible?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Who wrote the king James bible?

    Who wrote the king James bible?

  • #2
    Originally posted by phil boyce-bottoms View Post
    Who wrote the king James bible?
    No one wrote the KJV. The KJV is a translation of the Hebrew and Greek texts of the Bible. The translators were divided up into six groups. Each group was responsible for a different section of the Scriptures. There were a number of translators in each group. I believe there were a total of 54 scholars that made up the translation committee.
    Last edited by Origen; 11-25-2015, 02:22 PM.
    Comment>

    • #3
      Is it true that there was more then one version of the bible that king James could of chosen from?
      Comment>

      • #4
        Originally posted by phil boyce-bottoms View Post
        Is it true that there was more then one version of the bible that king James could of chosen?
        I am not really sure what you mean by version. The translators went back to the Hebrew and Greek texts. Contrary to what you may have heard, there is not more then one version of the Bible. Almost all translations use the Hebrew and Greek texts.

        Comment>

        • #5
          I knew a johova witness, and his bible was different.
          Do you about the 'book of enoch'?
          And why it was taken out of the bible?
          Comment>

          • #6
            The king James Bible translation has nothing to do with the Watchtower Bible or Jehovah's Witnesses. The book of Enoch is mentioned in the bible, it was merely common reading in the day but was never considered inspired. It was never in the bible. Consider it extra-biblical.

            God bless,
            William
            Comment>

            • #7
              Originally posted by phil boyce-bottoms View Post
              I knew a johova witness, and his bible was different.
              The Jehovah Witness bible (i.e. NWT) is a translation (if it can even be called that) and not a very good one. No Greek or Hebrew scholar recognizes it as a legitimate translation. Its sole purpose is to promote JW doctrines.

              Originally posted by phil boyce-bottoms View Post
              Do you about the 'book of enoch'?
              The earliest section(s) of the Book of Enoch date to around 300 B.C., and the rest of the text to sometime after that. Consequently, it could not have been written by Enoch.

              Originally posted by phil boyce-bottoms View Post
              And why it was taken out of the bible?
              This is a false view held by many. The Book of Enoch was never part of the Scriptures. Therefore it was never taken out because it was never part of the canon.
              Comment>

              • #8
                shakespeare -- just kiddin' :P
                Comment>

                • #9
                  Originally posted by William View Post
                  book of Enoch is mentioned in the bible

                  The book of Enoch isn't mentioned in the Bible, but gives prophesy from Enoch. It could be a quote from the book, or from another source that maybe the author of the book of Enoch used.
                  Comment>

                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Cornelius View Post


                    The book of Enoch isn't mentioned in the Bible, but gives prophesy from Enoch. It could be a quote from the book, or from another source that maybe the author of the book of Enoch used.
                    Good point.

                    God bless,
                    William
                    Comment>

                    • #11
                      This might help

                      God's Secretaries King James Bible, May 21 2003 | C-SPAN.org
                      Comment>

                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Llola View Post

                        In the above video, Adam Nicolson, author of God's Secretaries: The Making of the King James Bible, says that the translators of the Geneva Bible translated the word, king, with the word, tyrant. That irritated King James enough to make him want an new translation.

                        When I checked the Geneva Bible at the Bible Gateway website, it does use the word king, so I'm not sure what to make of Nicolson's claim.

                        Llola
                        Comment>

                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Llola View Post
                          When I checked the Geneva Bible at the Bible Gateway website, it does use the word king, so I'm not sure what to make of Nicolson's claim.
                          There was more than one edition of the Geneva Bible. Perhaps there were some changes made so that some had king while others had tyrant.
                          Clyde Herrin's Blog
                          Comment>

                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Llola View Post


                            In the above video, Adam Nicolson, author of God's Secretaries: The Making of the King James Bible, says that the translators of the Geneva Bible translated the word, king, with the word, tyrant. That irritated King James enough to make him want an new translation.

                            When I checked the Geneva Bible at the Bible Gateway website, it does use the word king, so I'm not sure what to make of Nicolson's claim.

                            Llola
                            Read post # 8, Llola: Which Translation

                            Comment>

                            • #15
                              Originally posted by theophilus View Post
                              There was more than one edition of the Geneva Bible. Perhaps there were some changes made so that some had king while others had tyrant.

                              Yes, some Geneva Bibles might have used the word, tyrant more than others.

                              According to the Bible Gateway, the 1599 edition of the Geneva Bible uses the word, tyrant eleven times. The KJV does not use the word tyrant. That must be what Nicolson meant.

                              Llola
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap