What do you look for in a bible?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you look for in a bible?

What do you look for when buying a bible?, what is your preferences..

Do you go for a few cheaper versions of the bible or do you like to get one quality goatskin or leather bible?...

Is there a preferred font size you go for, a certain colour/pattern or material, is red letter important to you?.. single/double column, paragraphs, matching lines etc etc.

I like the quality large font Bibles to keep just one at home (brown or black leather). Aside from that my other Bibles are just the less expensive type.
    Comment>

Since I do most of my reading on a screen these days, I tend to look for pretty pictures and a good graphic novel format for printed bibles.
      Comment>

I'm in the process of of simply writing my own New Testament.
        Comment>

Originally posted by Faber View Post
          I'm in the process of of simply writing my own New Testament.
          Like the Book of Mormon?
          Comment>

Originally posted by atpollard View Post

Like the Book of Mormon?
            Oh gosh, I hope not.
            Comment>

Originally posted by atpollard View Post

Like the Book of Mormon?
              Oh don't you worry yourself atpollard. It is nothing like that.

For many years I have used both the KJV and NASB. When I read one I miss the other. I constantly say to myself, "Ya know, the ____ reads better or is clearer in meaning than __ in this passage."
              So what I have been doing is going through each passage of each book with my KJV and NASB and writing out each passage based on what they say. Sometimes I will have the KJV while I think slightly more times I will have the NASB. Oftentimes it is a mix. Some passages that I have memorized from the KJV I simply keep even though it contains words such as "ye". I also chose to stick with the NASB in capitalizing the He/Him/His when it is referring to God. There are quiet a few times I supply a different word than what both versions may happen to use. Also, for "doulos" I always have it read simply "slave" when it reads we are "servants/bond-servants of God (or of Christ)". I cut down on many of the italicized words employed in both versions. I simply kept the Greek words in some instances such as when God the Father or the Lord Jesus is referred to as Despotēs (Strong's #1203) or when the Lord Jesus is referred to as poimēn and episkopos of your souls in 1 Peter 2:25.
              In addition to both versions I also refer to the Greek New Testament and the BDAG (3rd Edition). A few times I will go to biblegateway.com and see how many other versions translate the same verse.

Comment>

It is true that online you can easily see many versions at once and is good for study.. However you must admit you can't beat the good old fashioned book.

I myself have various versions... Most low quality bibles, I do have some half decent leather bibles.. My main choice at the moment is my ESV journal bible.

I am looking to get a high quality goatskin ESV or NASB in a 10/11 font with red lettering and paragraphed. At around £150 it needs to be near perfect for a main Bible but so far I've not seen any that fit the bill.
                Comment>

Originally posted by Faber View Post

Oh don't you worry yourself atpollard. It is nothing like that.

For many years I have used both the KJV and NASB. When I read one I miss the other. I constantly say to myself, "Ya know, the ____ reads better or is clearer in meaning than __ in this passage."
                  So what I have been doing is going through each passage of each book with my KJV and NASB and writing out each passage based on what they say. Sometimes I will have the KJV while I think slightly more times I will have the NASB. Oftentimes it is a mix. Some passages that I have memorized from the KJV I simply keep even though it contains words such as "ye". I also chose to stick with the NASB in capitalizing the He/Him/His when it is referring to God. There are quiet a few times I supply a different word than what both versions may happen to use. Also, for "doulos" I always have it read simply "slave" when it reads we are "servants/bond-servants of God (or of Christ)". I cut down on many of the italicized words employed in both versions. I simply kept the Greek words in some instances such as when God the Father or the Lord Jesus is referred to as Despotēs (Strong's #1203) or when the Lord Jesus is referred to as poimēn and episkopos of your souls in 1 Peter 2:25.
                  In addition to both versions I also refer to the Greek New Testament and the BDAG (3rd Edition). A few times I will go to biblegateway.com and see how many other versions translate the same verse.

KJV and NASB are the combinations I use as well.
                  Comment>

I like to use a NKJV, although I want to transition to the KJV. I like Bibles that aren't filled with a lot of notes. Although if I was to use a study Bible I like the Thompsham Chain.
                    Comment>

Bliss; I am at the other end of life that you most likely are. I bout all my many Bibles with not thinking about how small the print was. Now that my eyes have slowly changed its hard to read small print. I had my eye doctor give me a prescription for special reading glasses so I could read the smaller print. It does not help much as the larger print is what helps me now.

I am having eye surgery later this month (Oct. 2017) hopefully this will help too. My point is if at all possible don't buy the smallest print to get a smaller Bible.

justme
                      Comment>

You should get a Bible that has cross references. Sometimes you can understand a particular passage better if you know what the Bible says someplace else.
                        Clyde Herrin's Blog
                        Comment>

Originally posted by justme View Post
                          Bliss; I am at the other end of life that you most likely are. I bout all my many Bibles with not thinking about how small the print was. Now that my eyes have slowly changed its hard to read small print. I had my eye doctor give me a prescription for special reading glasses so I could read the smaller print. It does not help much as the larger print is what helps me now.

I am having eye surgery later this month (Oct. 2017) hopefully this will help too. My point is if at all possible don't buy the smallest print to get a smaller Bible.

justme
                          Funnily enough I have just got back from the opticians a couple hours ago, I pick up my new glasses next week.. I am still young ish but my eyes aren't perfect, I have one bad eye.. That is hard to read anything at all even with glasses.. I'm lucky that my other eye is good..
                          I purposely avoid small font, a font size 10 is the smallest I'd buy in a book.. Small bibles would look silly on me anyway.. I'm a big guy,
                          who wants a small Bible anyway.. No need to be discreet about having a Bible on you.
                          Comment>

Originally posted by theophilus View Post
                            You should get a Bible that has cross references. Sometimes you can understand a particular passage better if you know what the Bible says someplace else.
                            Having been a Pastor and gone to Seminary i better have more than one Bible right? I have about 30 different Bibles, maybe a few more. the Bible that i have used for a long time and preached out of is the NIV Study Bible 1985. this is the ONLY NIV Bible I would ever suggest anyone to use or buy. I have two Bibles I read and study from the NASB and the Holman Christian Standard Bible now out of print. I often refer to my INTERLINER GREEK ENGLISH NEW TESTAMENT which I use in coordination with the NASB Exhaustive Concordance.

A couple of tools I suggest for added fun in Bible study would be a HARMONY OF THE GOSPELS, in a version you read most, and VINES EXPOSITORY DICTIONARY OF NEW TESTAMENT WORDS. As a person adds to their collection of books that are tools, which we call a LIBRARY, I suggest rather tan buying a set of commentaries, buy each commentary from a author you know or your pastor suggests, for a book of the Bible your Subday School class is in or from what book of the Bible your pastor is preaching from.

Just a few ideas of mine I hope you might enjoy.

justme.
                            Comment>

Originally posted by justme View Post

Having been a Pastor and gone to Seminary i better have more than one Bible right? I have about 30 different Bibles, maybe a few more. the Bible that i have used for a long time and preached out of is the NIV Study Bible 1985. this is the ONLY NIV Bible I would ever suggest anyone to use or buy. I have two Bibles I read and study from the NASB and the Holman Christian Standard Bible now out of print. I often refer to my INTERLINER GREEK ENGLISH NEW TESTAMENT which I use in coordination with the NASB Exhaustive Concordance.

A couple of tools I suggest for added fun in Bible study would be a HARMONY OF THE GOSPELS, in a version you read most, and VINES EXPOSITORY DICTIONARY OF NEW TESTAMENT WORDS. As a person adds to their collection of books that are tools, which we call a LIBRARY, I suggest rather tan buying a set of commentaries, buy each commentary from a author you know or your pastor suggests, for a book of the Bible your Subday School class is in or from what book of the Bible your pastor is preaching from.

Just a few ideas of mine I hope you might enjoy.

justme.
                              I agree with not buying any recent NIV translation, they have gone way off track with the gender issue.. I am sure you know all about it,
                              I have around 10-12 bibles.. And about 8 or so other Christian books related to fasting, prayer etc etc.. I have more books than I'll ever probably read but if your anything like me it doesn't stop you buying more.
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap