Is what's in a name pivotal?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is what's in a name pivotal?

[FONT=trebuchet ms][SIZE=16px]My bible calls the Lord "Jesus" and in the Greek of the new testament text his name looks like this "[/SIZE][/FONT]Ἰησοῦς[FONT=trebuchet ms, helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=16px]" (in our letters that is "iesous"). Some folk prefer "Yeshua". Those folk are mainly from the Messianic Jews movement and from the Hebrews Roots movement. As far as I am able to tell "Yeshua" is a conjectural spelling derived from the Hebrew name that the KJV translates as Joshua in the books of Moses and elsewhere in the old testament. It's conjectural because ancient Hebrew doesn't have any vowels so the only letters in the name are consonants [/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=16px][FONT=trebuchet ms]ְיהוֹֻשַׁע it means "Jehovah is salvation".

Some of the Hebrew Roots people say that using "Jesus" a mistake. Some claim that the entire new testament was originally written in Hebrew. Is this credible? Is using "Jesus" a mistake?[/FONT][/SIZE]

Greek was the common language in New Testament times so that was the language used to write the New Testament. The names Yeshua and Jesus are really the same name in different languages so I don't think it would make any difference which one you use.
    Clyde Herrin's Blog
    Comment>

Originally posted by theophilus View Post
      Greek was the common language in New Testament times so that was the language used to write the New Testament. The names Yeshua and Jesus are really the same name in different languages so I don't think it would make any difference which one you use.
      [SIZE=16px][FONT=trebuchet ms]Ordinarily I'd agree that "Jesus" and "Jehovah" compared to "Yeshua" and "Yahweh" could merely be a matter of one's spoken & written language but Yeshua and Yahweh belong in modern Hebrew (though I dare say Orthodox Rabbinic Jews would not use the latter) but I do get a little concerned when Hebrew Roots preachers insist that those who say "Jesus" don't know the Lord's name and that unless one submits to their theories about the Hebrew Roots of Christianity and the meaning of the new covenant then one simply does not understand the bible or the new covenant.[/FONT][/SIZE]
      Comment>
      Working...
      X
      Articles - News - SiteMap