Enhance and deepen your study of God's Word by asking Bible questions and sharing your answers.

What is your proper way to study the bible?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is your proper way to study the bible?

[FONT=verdana] Althrough we don't have blood relation, because of believing in God and Lord's love, we meet in the forum. I always regard believer as my brothers and sisters. Hope that we can help each other. One of my sisters feels it hard to read bible. She wants to know more about the bible and wants to look for a good way to study the bible. How do you study the bible?[/FONT]
    God bless
    Happy life

Hi Happy Life,

We are Blood Covenant Children. We do have a blood relation. The blood of Christ is the basis of the New Covenant. On the night before Jesus went to the cross, Jesus offered the cup of wine to His disciples and said, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which is poured out for you” (Luke 22:20).

As for reading or studying the Bible, I suggest downloading Esword.

Esword has a nice daily planner, if you wish to read the Bible in a year the program will produce enough material day by day to reach your goal. I used to read the Bible in order from cover to cover, then I began reading my most favorite books, sometimes repeatedly. Now I read the Bible Systematically or by Doctrine. Another words, If I am studying Soteriology then I cover all verses related to Soteriology as outlined by a Systematic study. If I study Doctrine, for example, Total Depravity, then I am researching and studying all verses related to that particular Doctrine in its appropriate context. Much of my reading now-a-days is paralleled with a few of my favorite commentators. Consider them being gifted teachers holding the readers' hand while covering Biblical material. When specifically dealing with commentators I prefer dead ones to living ones. I prefer to know the commentator personally, how they persevered and how they died and what Doctrine they held consistently to until death. Too many people like Harold Camping turned out for the worse during their last days, turning out to be "false teachers", and if prophetic, a "false prophet."

God bless,
    William
    Comment>

I would suggest a few book.
      How to Read the Bible for All Its Worth by Gordon D. Fee and Douglas Stuart

I would also suggest the "How to Read Series" all by Tremper Longman III.

How to Read Genesis
      How to Read Exodus
      How to Read the Psalms
      How to Read Proverbs
      How to Read Job
      by Tremper Longman III and John H. Walton

These were all written with the layperson in mind.
      Comment>

It's easier to read the Bible, for me, when there's a particular topic of interest that I'm studying.
        Comment>

I agree with Cornelius. If one wants to find out what someone says about a topic, ask them or read it or whatever. If one wants to know what the Bible says about that topic, read the Bible alone, without commentary or distraction.
          Comment>

Hi Willian, Thank for sharing your way of study bible, I think that is a good way to study bible.

God bless,
            Happy life
            Comment>

Originally posted by happy life View Post
              [FONT=verdana] Althrough we don't have blood relation, because of believing in God and Lord's love, we meet in the forum. I always regard believer as my brothers and sisters. Hope that we can help each other. One of my sisters feels it hard to read bible. She wants to know more about the bible and wants to look for a good way to study the bible. How do you study the bible?[/FONT]
              God bless
              Happy life

I don't understand why it should be hard for a believer to read the Bible. If she indeed expects to know everything in the Bible because she reads it, then it would be hard...rather impossible. All she needs to do is read it. From cover to cover. Let God reveal Himself to her as He wants to. Line upon line. Precept upon precept upon precept. Underline those things that speak to you or you find interesting, writing notes in your margins. And when you finish, start over again, and let God show you more.

You can always have your own Bible study concerning a book or topic. But always have your constant reading of the Bible all the way through. We have the Holy Spirit and the written Word of God.

Ship Alone
              Comment>

[FONT=Verdana]What I've learned about Bible interpretation (hermeneutics) is that if people don't believe the Bible is God breathed (all writings God breathed) then they will have the wrong focal points in interpreting the Bible. If salvation is to know Jesus then we are at a loss to know Him if we think the Bible is just a historical book that was for them and not for us to live our lives by and with then most likely they aren't a Christian in the strongest sense and will receive the wrong interpretation. If the Bible doesn't make sense then we have to ask God.[/FONT]
                [FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
                [FONT=Verdana]All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: - 2 Timothy 3:16[/FONT]
                [FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
                [FONT=Verdana]If the Bible is scripture then the interpretation is that the Bible is all given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction in righteousness and that is my hermeneutic.[/FONT]
                Comment>
                Working...
                X
                Articles - News - SiteMap