Enhance and deepen your study of God's Word by asking Bible questions and sharing your answers.

What verse do you think sufficiently communicates the gospel?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What verse do you think sufficiently communicates the gospel?

I think Genesis 3:15 - "I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heel.”

My reason is simple. It was enough that the faithful remnant of Israel looked towards His coming in faith. Now that He has come, our historical looking faith can look at verses such as these and understand them.

Matthew Henry breaks this verse down:

1. His incarnation, or coming in the flesh. It speaks great encouragement to sinners, that their Saviour is the Seed of the woman, bone of our bone, Heb 2:11,14.

2. His sufferings and death; pointed at in Satan's bruising his heel, that is, his human nature. And Christ's sufferings are continued in the sufferings of the saints for his name. The devil tempts them, persecutes and slays them; and so bruises the heel of Christ, who is afflicted in their afflictions. But while the heel is bruised on earth, the Head is in heaven.

3. His victory over Satan thereby. Christ baffled Satan's temptations, rescued souls out of his hands. By his death he gave a fatal blow to the devil's kingdom, a wound to the head of this serpent that cannot be healed. As the gospel gains ground, Satan falls.

God bless,
    William

In reading the Bible, I've noticed that the Gospel message is repeated over and over, many times. This is often overt and succinct in the New Testament, but subtle and verbose in the Old Testament. John 3:16 earns its fame for a one-verse gospel message. Genesis 3:15 is powerful, and as subtle as would be expected from the Old Testament.
    Comment>
    Working...
    X
    Articles - News - SiteMap