Enhance and deepen your study of God's Word by asking Bible questions and sharing your answers.

Christ atonement covers or washes away sin?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christ atonement covers or washes away sin?

Hebrews 9 & 10 I think, was just thinking about this today. What is the difference between the terms covering and washing away when talking about sin? Is there one? Sacrifices of bulls and goats vs. the work of Christ? Thoughts

The sacrifices of the lambs was merely a covering of our sins. They used the lambs blood because it symbolized Jesus's blood the ultimate sacrifice that would come in later although I doubt they knew this. Jesus didn't cover our sins he washed it clean as if it was never there in the fathers eyes we are clean we are spotless we are pure even though many as well as me don't feel that way. Even though I know this I still feel unworthy and sinful I still do not believe I am clean and righteous because there is a difference between knowing grace and understanding it, I have the knowledge but I can't seem to believe it
    Comment>

Originally posted by RS Presbyterian View Post
      Hebrews 9 & 10 I think, was just thinking about this today. What is the difference between the terms covering and washing away when talking about sin? Is there one? Sacrifices of bulls and goats vs. the work of Christ? Thoughts
      Matthew 22:1-14 comes to mind. The parable was Jesus’ way of teaching the inadequacy of self-righteousness. From the very beginning, God has provided a “covering” for our sin. To insist on covering ourselves is to be clad in “filthy rags” (Isaiah 64:6). Adam and Eve tried to cover their shame, but they found their fig leaves to be woefully scant. God took away their handmade clothes and replaced them with skins of (sacrificed) animals (Genesis 3:7, 21). In the book of Revelation, we see those in heaven wearing “white robes” (Revelation 7:9), and we learn that the whiteness of the robes is due to their being washed in the blood of the Lamb (verse 14). We trust in God’s righteousness, not our own (Philippians 3:9).

Originally posted by FireHeart View Post
      The sacrifices of the lambs was merely a covering of our sins. They used the lambs blood because it symbolized Jesus's blood the ultimate sacrifice that would come in later although I doubt they knew this. Jesus didn't cover our sins he washed it clean as if it was never there in the fathers eyes we are clean we are spotless we are pure even though many as well as me don't feel that way.
      “The blood shall be a sign for you, on the houses where you are. And when I see the blood, I will pass over you, and no plague will befall you to destroy you, when I strike the land of Egypt” (Ex. 12:13). God’s wrath was not against Egypt alone for its sin and idolatry, but against Israel as well. God is not a respecter of persons when it comes to the judgment of sin. His judgment was going to wreak havoc not only on the Egyptians but also on the people of Israel—unless they figuratively covered themselves in blood by literally covering their doorposts with it.What did the blood of the lambs do? It turned away God’s wrath and appeased His anger against sin. It satisfied His justice. The blood of the lambs caused God to pass over each house—for a time. The blood satisfied on the night of the Passover, but each year the sacrifices of the lambs had to be made anew. Every year, the sounds of the slaughter of lambs for sacrifices could be heard. For this reason, Israel always longed for an unblemished male lamb who would take way sin once and for all; the One about whom God would say finally, “When I see the blood, I will pass over you forever.”

Even though I know this I still feel unworthy and sinful I still do not believe I am clean and righteous because there is a difference between knowing grace and understanding it
      We are unworthy, sinful and unrighteous apart from Christ in ourselves, by faith we become partakers of Christ and flee to Him for salvation. "He by himself made purification for sins" (Hebrews 1:3). There is nothing for us to do in order to complete or make salvation whole. It is rather the blood of Christ that atones (Romans 5:11), i.e., brings reconciliation with God. And while our faith and repentance are never said to atone for personal sins., they are described as gifts from the risen Christ (Philippians 1:29; Acts 5:31), and instrumental means of salvation, i.e., by faith we become partakers of Christ and flee to him for salvation. Repentance is a saving grace, given from above; but man has to repent, not Christ. Repentance, in other words, is man's duty and responsibility. "Repent ye, and believe the gospel," Christ preached. Christ died a substitutionary death, the just for the unjust; in the application of his atonement, the Spirit then works repentance in us, having given us a new heart in regeneration.

I have the knowledge but I can't seem to believe it
      Keep your eyes fixed upon the object of our faith....

Consider:

Numbers 21:4-9:

4 From Mount Hor they set out by the way to the Red Sea, to go around the land of Edom. And the people became impatient on the way. 5 And the people spoke against God and against Moses, “Why have you brought us up out of Egypt to die in the wilderness? For there is no food and no water, and we loathe this worthless food.” 6 Then the Lord sent fiery serpents among the people, and they bit the people, so that many people of Israel died. 7 And the people came to Moses and said, “We have sinned, for we have spoken against the Lord and against you. Pray to the Lord, that he take away the serpents from us.” So Moses prayed for the people. 8 And the Lord said to Moses, “Make a fiery serpent and set it on a pole, and everyone who is bitten, when he sees it, shall live.” 9 So Moses made a bronze[c] serpent and set it on a pole. And if a serpent bit anyone, he would look at the bronze serpent and live.

John 3:14-15:

14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, so must the Son of Man be lifted up, 15 that whoever believes in him may have eternal life.
      One can have a thorough knowledge of the doctrine of depravity, a need for a savior, how and why the savior died upon the cross, but if one places salvation in themselves and not the object of our faith Jesus Christ - they are misplacing faith in the wrong object, they themselves become the object of faith, thus they are guilty of self righteousness and self-idol worship.

God bless,
      William
      Comment>

Originally posted by William View Post
        One can have a thorough knowledge of the doctrine of depravity, a need for a savior, how and why the savior died upon the cross, but if one places salvation in themselves and not the object of our faith Jesus Christ - they are misplacing faith in the wrong object, they themselves become the object of faith, thus they are guilty of self righteousness and self-idol worship.
        Yes, and this is why I can't stand the free will doctrine to salvation; just for that reason. Jesus is to be the object of our salvation all the way.
        Comment>

[SIZE=14px][FONT=Lato]I have had these thoughts about the word "covering" and sin being "washed away." Hebrews 10:4 For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins. Clearly God ordered the sacrifices in the Old Testament. They pictured aspects of Christ. They were accepted by God. The person offering the animal in faith, was showing that he was a sinner and needed a Substitute to take away his sins. The animal was offered and the blood was shed. In reality though, all of the Old Testament believers' sins were laid on Christ when He hung at Calvary. Remember Lazarus and the rich man in Luke 16? Hell was in two compartments- Abraham's bosom where the saved (Lazarus and Abraham) were and hell where the rich man was. [/FONT][FONT=Lato]Luke 16:26 And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence. The believers had to await the Sacrifice of Jesus Christ before their sins were washed away to be remembered no more. We never read of Abraham's bosom after the resurrection of Jesus from the dead. [/FONT]
          [FONT=Lato]Mat_27:52 And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose, [/FONT]
          [FONT=Lato]I believe their sins were gone.[/FONT][/SIZE]
          Comment>

Heb.10:4 is an allusion to the old testament sacrifices offered through the High Priest . The sins of the people were forgiven,but resurrection to Heaven was not possible . yet . In Lk. 16 Abraham's bosom was the righteous side of Hades. While the Rich man was on the side that received sinners .Later to be judged and then enter Hell as their final abode. However Heaven could not be entered into until the death of Christ and the fulfiling of the law. Even though the souls of the righteous were saved, their bodies were still in corruption and had to be raised incorruptible. 1st.Cor.15:42 ff. This happened upon the Upon the death of Christ when the temple curtains were torn down exposing the Holy of Holies .Something the people could never imagine seeing . Then the righteous were raised incorruptible. While the unrighteous sinners will remain in Hades until the Judgment . LD
            I gather from Matt. 27:52 that God reserved a special group of people that died in Christ and were buried, Later to be seen of by many who bore witness to His Resurrection.
            Comment>

Christ blood I believe covers our sins so that the Father does not see our sins but sees the blood of Christ.
              Comment>

As far as the east is from the west, so are our sins removed from us. So, if one travels west, they keep going west; likewise, if they travel east, they keep going east. Notice the Lord did not say north and south. Once one has reached the north pole, then they head south, and vice-versa. Our sins are removed, as if they never happened. After judgement, they are expunged from God's record.
                Comment>

Rom 3:24-25
                  24 Being justified freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:

25 Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in His blood, to declare His righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;
                  KJV

I must bring this point up also. Notice Apostle Paul said, "...for the remission of sins that are past,...".

Once the believer comes to Christ Jesus, confesses Him as The Saviour and is baptized into His death and resurrection, then we are forgiven of all sins past. Then we are to maintain a walk with Him, and ask Him forgiveness of sins we may commit in the future.

I know some of you are not taught this about the need for repentance after... confession and baptism. 1 John 1 gives more about this requirement.

Comment>

"ANY man who says he is without sin is a liar and the love of the Father is not in him."
                    Comment>

Originally posted by Stratcat View Post
                      "ANY man who says he is without sin is a liar and the love of the Father is not in him."

Which also is why our Lord Jesus showed us 'how' to pray (Luke 11), which includes a petition to Him to "forgive us our sins", even after our declaration of Faith on Him.
                      Comment>

No argument there. When we sin, we are shown the correct way to pray for forgiveness of sins. He is talking to believers, as non-believers by definition reject the teachings of Jesus.
                        Comment>
                        Working...
                        X
                        Articles - News - SiteMap