Enhance and deepen your study of God's Word by asking Bible questions and sharing your answers.

How do you study the Bible?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you study the Bible?

We hear constantly that we should study the Bible. But how should we really study the Bible?

There are many helps for daily reading short stories connected with Bible verses that help get our day focused on God. Our Daily Bread is one, but there are so many more. But that's not a Bible study.

So would you tell us How do you study the Bible?

Sometimes studying the Bible can feel like a chore, but we shouldn't think of it that way, for all scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness. But one thing that I've noticed when reading the Bible is I can't understand it. That is, not in the light of my natural understanding. (1Co2.14). Only when I get my mind anointed, in the Spirit, am I ever able to understand what God is saying in the scriptures. (1Jo2.27). Therefore, the reading is our job, but the interpretation of what we read must be done by the Holy Ghost. If we are going to walk this narrow path all the way, we must be taught the way to go, for "we have not passed this way before," and the scriptures make it very clear that no woman or man can teach us. This is why Jesus said in Mat11.29: "Take my yoke upon you, and LEARN OF ME; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls."

A buddy of mine once made this point very pronounced when he said "Don't study the scriptures. READ the scriptures, and let God unveil them to you. He will make sure you don't miss one ounce of truth."

Amen.
    Comment>

First I go to the Lord in prayer. I read slowly to take note of every word and sometimes I'll read the same verses I read the day before. And sometimes I'll keep notes on what Scripture says on a subject.
      Comment>

Study the Bible systematically...
        consider ...
        Jerimiah 9:23 Thus says the Lord, “Let not the one who is wise and skillful boast in his insight; let not the one who is mighty and powerful boast in his strength; let not the one who is rich boast in his [temporal satisfactions and earthly] abundance; 24 but let the one who boasts boast in this, that he understands and knows Me [and acknowledges Me and honors Me as God and recognizes without any doubt], that I am the Lord who practices lovingkindness, justice and righteousness on the earth, for in these things I delight,” says the Lord.
        Systematic Theology is a field of systematization of the supernatural based almost wholly on one Book which is God-breathed. The power to comprehend this Book is gained only as taught by the Spirit of God: 1 Corinthians 2:13 And we impart this in words not taught by human wisdom but taught by the Spirit, interpreting spiritual truths to those who are spiritual. The Bible is not understood nor received by unregenerate men per: 1 Corinthians 2:14 The natural person does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned. One cannot argue with those who are dead in sin and have not received, as yet, spiritual senses. What can they know? Why should we dispute with the blind concerning colors? How can we discuss music with the deaf?” … Therefore, only men of faith need read further. (Hebrews 11:6b But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.)
        The Bible is to the theologian what nature is to the scientist,--a body or unorganized or only partially organized facts. It is necessary, therefore, if we are to know all the facts on any given subject for us to gather together the scattered teachings and to construct them into a logical and harmonious system. The function of systematic theology is to unfold the Bible using revelation and reason; where the former trumps the latter. It is the orderly collecting, scientifically arranging, comparing, exhibiting and defending of all facts from any and every biblical source concerning God and His works. Ideally, all facts forming a doctrine are harmonious; on occasion not all the facts are harmonious for man is finite and God is infinite.
        The inspiration and authority of the Scriptures and existence of God is in no way open to question in regards to Systematic Theology.
        In its natural state, gold is often passed over by those with undiscerning eyes. Likewise, the treasures of divine truth are observed only by those who are trained to recognize them. The message of the Bible is complete. The mastery of any part necessitates the mastery of the whole.
        Comment>

A person can do a book study -- take a particular book of Bible and read through it -- ask the 5 W's -- who, where, when, why, wherefore.

Asking the W's can apply to chapter study , also.

Outline a chapter at a time through a book -- works easier in a small book.

A word study -- go back to the original Greek / Hebrew -- find all the places in Scripture where that word is used.

Study a topic of interest.

Lots of possibilities.

There are study guides to reading through the Bible in a year. A few chapters in the O. T. and then the Psalms / Proverbs and then a chapter or two in the N.T. Lots of reading, but it's Good reading. Some books are more interesting than others. Some are harder to understand than others.
          And with some books -- you'll read and not understand a word your reading and then other parts will make more sense. Don't get discouraged, just continue reading.
          Comment>
          Working...
          X
          Articles - News - SiteMap