Enhance and deepen your study of God's Word by asking Bible questions and sharing your answers.

Joshua's long day

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joshua's long day

[FONT=trebuchet ms][SIZE=16px]Ever wondered how Joshua's long day worked? The KJV describes it as the sun standing still in the sky. That may be the language of observation without any real reference to how the sun was made to stand still but have you given much thought to how it worked?

Then spake Joshua to the LORD in the day when the LORD delivered up the Amorites before the children of Israel, and he said in the sight of Israel, Sun, stand thou still upon Gibeon; and thou, Moon, in the valley of Ajalon. And the sun stood still, and the moon stayed, until the people had avenged themselves upon their enemies. Is not this written in the book of Jasher? So the sun stood still in the midst of heaven, and hasted not to go down about a whole day. And there was no day like that before it or after it, that the LORD hearkened unto the voice of a man: for the LORD fought for Israel. (Joshua 10:12-14 KJV)[/SIZE][/FONT]

Maybe someone could think of a natural explanation for a longer day, but I can't. I can think of several miraculous ways to go about it, such as creating a bubble of time dilation around the area.
    Comment>

Originally posted by Cornelius View Post
      Maybe someone could think of a natural explanation for a longer day, but I can't. I can think of several miraculous ways to go about it, such as creating a bubble of time dilation around the area.
      [FONT=trebuchet ms][SIZE=16px]Too much science fiction is evident in the above quote. Time can be dilated in a couple of ways (1) by increasing gravity to near black-hole event horizon proportions and (2) by travel at speeds near the speed of light relative to the 'stationary' observer. Both ways seems decidedly unnatural for the earth in relation to the sun. But a bubble of time dilation is a thing of SG1 style sci-fi space opera.[/SIZE][/FONT]
      Comment>

Originally posted by peppermint View Post

[FONT=trebuchet ms][SIZE=16px]Too much science fiction is evident in the above quote. Time can be dilated in a couple of ways (1) by increasing gravity to near black-hole event horizon proportions and (2) by travel at speeds near the speed of light relative to the 'stationary' observer. Both ways seems decidedly unnatural for the earth in relation to the sun. But a bubble of time dilation is a thing of SG1 style sci-fi space opera.[/SIZE][/FONT]
        Good show, until Macgyver got too flippant.
        Comment>

[FONT=trebuchet ms][SIZE=16px]Having dispensed with time acceleration (contraction) bubbles that could (if they were not a silly sci-fi invention) explain Joshua's long day what explanation can account for the Earth stopping its rotation for a day and then starting up again without any problems?[/SIZE][/FONT]
          Comment>

We understand the long day to be the work of God, not a coincidental natural phenomenon. And, it really doesn't matter how God did it. I chose time dilation as the method of least divine meddling. God could have also stopped the rotation of the Earth and the orbit of the moon, but then he would also need to tweak gravity to compensate for the loss of centrifugal force from Earth's rotation. And, if God stopped the sun and moon in the sky, maybe he stopped all the stars, which would require universal meddling. And, if he stopped the rotation of the Earth, everyone else on the planet would have noticed, so we might expect records from other regions noting the long day, but which we haven't found.

Comment>
            Working...
            X
            Articles - News - SiteMap