Enhance and deepen your study of God's Word by asking Bible questions and sharing your answers.

Did God create evil?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did God create evil?

To describe God as either good or evil equally involves us putting ourselves in the judgment seat, God in the dock, and us passing a moral judgment upon God.

God himself could be forgiven for finding that impertinant.
    Comment>

Evil came into the world through Lucifer -- he had a prideful heart. So --did God create the angelic world with the freedom of choice? God did Not create evil. And He gave Adam and Eve the freedom of choice, also.

God -- in His omniscience knew evil would enter the world -- so He make provisions for that by providing the cross for our redemption.

@TWT -- you have an interesting way of saying things sometimes.
      Comment>

Originally posted by Sue D. View Post
        Evil came into the world through Lucifer -- he had a prideful heart. So --did God create the angelic world with the freedom of choice? God did Not create evil. And He gave Adam and Eve the freedom of choice, also.
        This is the proper understanding of how evil entered into the world. But those who claim that God preordained (or decreed) everything --good and evil -- forget that if we take that premise to its logical conclusion, then God ultimately becomes responsible for evil.

And since that is absurd, what we need to say is that God -- knowing all things from the very beginning -- gave men and angels freedom of choice and therefore ALLOWED sin and evil to enter the world FOR A SEASON. Since a thousand years are as one day in the sight of God, sin and evil will be on this earth for just a "few" days before He creates the New Heavens and the New Earth. Following which there will be eternal righteousness and peace on this earth.
        Comment>

Originally posted by Lucas View Post
          This is the proper understanding of how evil entered into the world. But those who claim that God preordained (or decreed) everything --good and evil -- forget that if we take that premise to its logical conclusion, then God ultimately becomes responsible for evil.

And since that is absurd, what we need to say is that God -- knowing all things from the very beginning -- gave men and angels freedom of choice and therefore ALLOWED sin and evil to enter the world FOR A SEASON. Since a thousand years are as one day in the sight of God, sin and evil will be on this earth for just a "few" days before He creates the New Heavens and the New Earth. Following which there will be eternal righteousness and peace on this earth.
          I form the light, and create darkness:
          I make peace, and create evil:
          I the Lord do all these things.
          (Isaiah 45.7)

Do you think God left to chance the crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus, or was the treachery of Judas preordained?
          Comment>

I can best imagine sin(evil) in the example of a flashlight. God would be the light, and the darkness surrounding the cone of luminescence we'll call sin. Without the light, you have darkness, but the flashlight does not "create" darkness by flicking the switch or by moving in a separate direction. In the same sense, sin is merely the absence of Truth, and by no means a thing in and of itself.

While this may seem as a contradiction to Isaiah 45:7 KJV, but evil was translated from the word ra' [7451] which means "adversity."

Being a man who loves two books of the bible above the rest; Genesis and Proverbs, I've recalled a verse that will certainly make many scratch their heads. Proverbs 16:4 KJV Enjoy figuring this one out if you haven't already; consider it a little personal challenge.
            Comment>

Originally posted by Trist View Post
              Being a man who loves two books of the bible above the rest; Genesis and Proverbs, I've recalled a verse that will certainly make many scratch their heads. Proverbs 16:4 KJV Enjoy figuring this one out if you haven't already; consider it a little personal challenge.
              i know exactly what that verse says.

Comment>

Originally posted by ThyWordisTruth View Post

i know exactly what that verse says.
                Don't give it away!
                Comment>

Originally posted by ThyWordisTruth View Post
                  I form the light, and create darkness:
                  I make peace, and create evil:
                  I the Lord do all these things.
                  (Isaiah 45.7)
                  This Scripture is often misunderstood. Since God is Light, and in Him is no darkness at all, we should be thoroughly convinced that God does NOT create evil. At the same time, God brings about natural disasters and He even allows evildoers to do their evil deeds. So that word "evil" in the quoted Scripture actually means calamity, adversity, disasters, etc. The terrible earthquakes and tsunamis we all know about are indeed evil in their results, but they are in fact natural disasters or calamities.

Strong's Concordance [from Bible Hub]
                  ra: evil, distress, misery, injury, calamity
                  Transliteration: ra
                  Short Definition: evil
                  NAS Exhaustive Concordance
                  Word Origin
                  from the same as roa
                  Definition
                  evil, distress, misery, injury, calamity
                  NASB Translation
                  adversity (7), calamity (4), disaster (2), evil (94), harm (2), harmful (1), hurt (1), ruin (3), surely (1), trouble (2), unpleasant (1), wickedly (1), wickedness (1).

Do you think God left to chance the crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus, or was the treachery of Judas preordained?
                  Now we come to an entirely different matter. There is no question that God foreordains, or preordains, or predetermines some things. One of those things was the betrayal and crucifixion of Christ. Scripture says that the Lamb of God was slain from BEFORE THE FOUNDATION OF THE WORLD. So God already had a plan which would involve evil men bringing about the betrayal, the unjust sentencing, and death of Christ on the cross.

Did God put evil thoughts into those men's hearts, or did Satan? Did Satan enter into Judas Iscariot or did God prompt him to betray His Master? The answers are obvious. Because of God's foreknowledge and omniscience, He uses evil men for His own purposes. By the same token, He holds them solely accountable for their sins. Please see Acts 2:36; 3:14,15;4:10; 7:51,52.
                  Comment>

This question is very important for me because recently I asked about Satan in another thread. From my reading of theology, I believe God did not create evil. Good created Angels. Some of these angels changed to evil force because they wanted to be worshipped as God. I cannot quote the source though.
                    Comment>

#5 -- good point --it's right there in black and white

Prov 16:4 NIV " The Lord works out everything for His own ends -- even the wicked for a day of disaster."

Sure does.

Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light and create darkness, I bring prosperity and create disaster; I, the Lord, do all these things.

He IS the boss -- He has the master plan -- aren't we glad that He is on Our side -- our best interest.
                      Comment>

No
                        Comment>

To me it would be like blaming, Henry Ford for every death in an automobile, because he invented the car.

If Henry Ford is not guilty of the million deaths caused by cars, how can we say God created evil
                          Comment>

In other words. if everything God created was good, how could he be responsible for the bad that happens afterword

Like Henry Ford we would not hold him guilty for the deaths caused by automobiles caused by others not observing the rules
                            Comment>

Since, in Genesis, we are told that everything created by God was good, He also created Lucifer -- who He also knew would entice Eve into disobeying God's instructions. God told her the consequences Of -- physical death,. AND God Also planned the redemption for us -- Because He already knew what we'd choose to do. And He Also knows who will or won't accept - the redemption that is available.

He did Not create us as puppets. We have choice. Follow Him or satan. And we're told the results that we can expect for either choice we make.

God wants us to trust in Him. Not ourselves.

He has given us guidelines to follow to Enjoy a healthy / enjoyable life.
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap