Enhance and deepen your study of God's Word by asking Bible questions and sharing your answers.

Is the Word of God flawed?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the Word of God flawed?

Many christians believe that all translations of the Bible contain errors. If ALL translations of the Bible contain errors where is the truth?

Originally posted by Terry jones View Post
    Many christians believe that all translations of the Bible contain errors. If ALL translations of the Bible contain errors where is the truth?
    Hi Terry,

What makes them believe all translations of the Bible contain errors? And what kind of errors are they talking? Not only translations but interpretations can be wrong. They can only be wrong when held to a standard other than themselves. My question then is by what standard are they being held to?

God bless,
    William
    Comment>

They believe that, due to man writing the bible/interpreting original Scripture they have to contain errors because man is not perfect. They don't identify the errors but say on the basis of man being involved they must contain errors. They say there is no perfect version of the bible, whether you read the KJV or the new international version or any other version they are all flawed because man is flawed. They say there is the truth in the bible but there are also some honest mistakes. I would say the standards these people use are the standards of the world as opposed to the standards of God. How widespread is this belief? I've come across it on numerous occasions.
      Comment>

They believe that, due to man writing the bible/interpreting original Scripture they have to contain errors because man is not perfect. They don't identify the errors but say on the basis of man being involved they must contain errors. They say there is no perfect version of the bible, whether you read the KJV or the new international version or any other version they are all flawed because man is flawed. They say there is the truth in the bible but there are also some honest mistakes. I would say the standards these people use are the standards of the world as opposed to the standards of God. How widespread is this belief? I've come across it on numerous occasions.
        Hi Terry,

Interpreting "original" Scripture?

And if man is not perfect making anything he does erroneous why would we believe them? Why does the standard not apply to them?

If they can't produce an example backed by evidence then is that not slander?

You may want to congratulate them for doing the work of their father. Satan was a slanderer from the very beginning.

And to answer your question, this is actually very common among liberal churches. There you'll find many standards.

God bless,
        William
        Comment>

Thanks William, I'm encouraged to know that not all have fallen for this lie. It's a shame so many have though and worse still is the amount of church leaders who claim it to be true. They undermine the very foundations of the church and lead others into the same folly. It has made me sick to the stomach listening to these people to be honest. I've congratulated some of them just as you say, no doubt I'll get some hate mail but if nobody stands up for the Word of God they will just carry on as usual.That is of course until God puts an end to it :)

Take care mate and God Bless you,

Terry
          Comment>

The bible contains translation issues as it was first originally written in Hebrew. This may be true but they are slim and few. And in that respect the bible is still to be interpreted as Gods Holy Word therefore it's my belief that what it says can be interpreted though isn't meant to be interpreted all the time. I still believe it's meant in a literal sense.

Also the authors of the bible were inspired by the holy spirit to write it. And they were chosen by God to write it. I contemplate many times about how it could be possibly that they were just ordinary people. But that couldn't be further from truth. The writers of the bible were receiving direct orders from the Lord within the Holy Spirit. No fact can prove this to be true but it's my belief that it is indeed very true. Thanks Terry jones
            Comment>

Originally posted by Cloud View Post
              The bible contains translation issues as it was first originally written in Hebrew.
              It is insane for a professing Christian to say the Word of God they read has errors in it. You contradict the very thing you claim to believe!

Proverbs 30:5-6King James Version (KJV)

5 Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him.

Comment>

Originally posted by Cloud View Post
                The bible contains translation issues as it was first originally written in Hebrew. This may be true but they are slim and few. And in that respect the bible is still to be interpreted as Gods Holy Word therefore it's my belief that what it says can be interpreted though isn't meant to be interpreted all the time. I still believe it's meant in a literal sense.

Also the authors of the bible were inspired by the holy spirit to write it. And they were chosen by God to write it. I contemplate many times about how it could be possibly that they were just ordinary people. But that couldn't be further from truth. The writers of the bible were receiving direct orders from the Lord within the Holy Spirit. No fact can prove this to be true but it's my belief that it is indeed very true. Thanks Terry jones
                Again, one must prove this. Otherwise it seems that a person is appealing to a group of people and putting faith in that group as to whether it is true. For example, if a liberal unbeliever claims that then you can either take their word for it or prove otherwise.

I keep hearing people claim there are errors, but they rarely clarify the kind of errors. Does the Bible contain errors, contradictions, or discrepancies? No!!! I haven't run into any.

Now if you want to go into some kind of copy error in the original manuscripts then I'm all ears. Luckily there are over 20 thousand manuscripts by which to compare.

I think the main point to walk away with is that if someone says there is a translation error then they better know Hebrew and Greek better than the Translators. There are different kind of translations, for example, word for word, thought for thought etc. One must recognize whether they begin with giving God the benefit of the doubt or someone else. Not to mention we can parallel many translations together and see for our selves whether there is continuity or disconnect. If for example, someone were to turn to the Queen James Bible, I can easily compare in the English all versions of any given verse with that one particular translation/interpretation and make a case for or against from there. Though I think if one did know and study Hebrew/Greek that they would be far more educated in making an argument in defense of orthodoxy then someone that does not.

I believe the Bible is free from error and our only trustworthy source of inspired revelation.

Still waiting for those errors!

God bless,
                William
                Comment>

Originally posted by William

Still waiting for those errors!

God bless,
                  William

The only error to be found is made by the one who claims there are errors without any proof.

Comment>

If you believe the Scripture you read is flawed then you must accept that Jesus is flawed as He is the Word. If you believe the unflawed truth only exists in Hebrew and Greek you have given the devil the greatest foothold he could possibly have in your life, you give him the same avenue of deceit he used in the beginning "Did God really say this?" The authority of God cannot be usurped but you can deliver authority to him in your own life Matthew 24:35King James Version (KJV)

35 Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.

Comment>

It is insane for a professing Christian to say the Word of God they read has errors in it. You contradict the very thing you claim to believe!

Proverbs 30:5-6King James Version (KJV)

5 Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him.

I still believe there are translation issues, specifically as an example when it says the word Fear. The Fear of God. To me I believe in Hebrew it was meant as Respect rather than fear. This is just an example.

There are other examples that can't really come to mind at the moment. But nothing translated is every going to be exact. That's just the truth about it. You cannot translate any book and be exact in the translation. I am a professing Christian and have been for many years. I speak from the holy spirit when I tell you that it's not exact. I wasn't trying to say there were errors in it. Your putting those words in my mouth. When did I say there were errors in the bible? I simply said there were translation issues and I still believe there are very few but some translation issues.

You cannot translate a book and have 2 different languages mean exactly the same. I understand the devote Christian turning away from anything that isn't God. I am just like you in that aspect. However from devotion and experience I've learned that though God still intended for the english bible to be written the way it is there are still some translations that did not make it to the english text version.

I never said God didn't intend for the English bible to be the way it is either. But I still believe it does not have the exact translation. What's so bad about that?
                      Comment>

Originally posted by Cloud

I still believe there are translation issues, specifically as an example when it says the word Fear. The Fear of God. To me I believe in Hebrew it was meant as Respect rather than fear. This is just an example.

There are other examples that can't really come to mind at the moment. But nothing translated is every going to be exact. That's just the truth about it. You cannot translate any book and be exact in the translation. I am a professing Christian and have been for many years. I speak from the holy spirit when I tell you that it's not exact. I wasn't trying to say there were errors in it. Your putting those words in my mouth. When did I say there were errors in the bible? I simply said there were translation issues and I still believe there are very few but some translation issues.

You cannot translate a book and have 2 different languages mean exactly the same. I understand the devote Christian turning away from anything that isn't God. I am just like you in that aspect. However from devotion and experience I've learned that though God still intended for the english bible to be written the way it is there are still some translations that did not make it to the english text version.

I never said God didn't intend for the English bible to be the way it is either. But I still believe it does not have the exact translation. What's so bad about that?

You are correct in claiming the translation of Greek or Hebrew to English isn't​ Perfect. However, The Word of God itself is without flaw right?
                        Comment>

If you believe the Scripture you read is flawed then you must accept that Jesus is flawed as He is the Word. If you believe the unflawed truth only exists in Hebrew and Greek you have given the devil the greatest foothold he could possibly have in your life, you give him the same avenue of deceit he used in the beginning "Did God really say this?" The authority of God cannot be usurped but you can deliver authority to him in your own life Matthew 24:35King James Version (KJV)

35 Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.

Hi terry,

It's notable to submit to you that the Greek and Hebrew had no chapter and verse , no punctuation. Every Bible that has been translated from Greek to English is punctuated differently , thus giving each of them a possible different understanding. So which English text are you basing your point upon?

It's vital to go to the earliest texts to understand what the author is trying to communicate. But more important one must be "in Christ" in order to understand or to claim the promises that are in the Scriptures.

Here is an example , The Greek word "pisteuo" is the verb form of the noun "pistis". In English translations , Pistis is where we get our word Faith , the noun. I think pistis is used around 240 times in the NT. Now when they went to translate the corresponding verb , Pisteuo ,the English language has no word for the verb form of Faith. The words the English should have had are Faithe , faither , and faithing. This is really important because pisteuo is used 248 times in the NT alone.

So what would you do if you were the translator ? Arguably the most important word in the history of mankind , just not the Scriptures , "pisteuo" can't be translated into the English texts. (Remember , we are saved by Grace through faith (pisteuo). So whatever they choose to translate the Greek word pisteuo into English texts is ultimately how people will understand "This is what we must do to be saved".

The translators chose the words believe, believer, and believing to translate pisteuo into the English texts. Now pisteuo being a verb , an action word . A verb is an act , based upon a "belief" ,sustained by confidense. So the translators accually translated the definition of "a verb" , rather than the definition of pisteuo. The most accurate definition of pisteuo is found in the Vines Expository dictionary. Pisteuo, is" A personal surrender to Him , and a life inspired by such surrender." Much different than believing wouldn't you agree ?

Anyway , this mistranslation of Scripture has completely changed the act , based upon a belief, sustained by confidense , that will result in being "In Christ". But do i understand this to be contrary to Gods will ? Absolutely not ! i think it's been done for a specific reason known only to God Himself.

I finish by saying that this mistranslation is so rooted into our Bibles and churches , that as i showd you how it was mistranslated into the English , it's also now mistranslated back out of the English into thee Greek . That si as long as your reading it in "English". The Greek has the word pisteuo, which is Faith ,"or continually surrendering our lives to Christ" , or the opposite , they add an "A" to piteuo and get the Greek word "Apisteuo". Apisteuo is is the Greek word for Faith moving away from God , in reverse.

The Greek language doesn't even have a word in their dictionary for the English words believe ,believer ,and believing. "If you check me on that remember if your reading an English text , it will mistranslate pisteuo back out of the english into the Greek. I think that the Greeks did not have a word for believe ,believer ,or believing, "believing in God" because they didn't recognize that such a state of being even existed. The human being was either in a state of pisteuo , moving closer to God , or apisteuo , moving away from God. There was no neutral or middle ground by which someone could only "believe' and not commit to one way or another.

Thanks for this topic.
                          Comment>

Originally posted by wfredeemed009 View Post

You are correct in claiming the translation of Greek or Hebrew to English isn't​ Perfect. However, The Word of God itself is without flaw right?
                            No, I do not believe it is flawed in the least bit. Not in the eyes of God. However how one may perceive it could be flawed to ones own perception. That's all I was saying.

The way the bible is in English is how God intended it to be. I believe that with my whole heart.
                            Comment>

Originally posted by faither View Post
                              It's vital to go to the earliest texts to understand what the author is trying to communicate.
                              The author is God Himself, nobody needs to be able to read Hebrew or Greek to understand Him. 50 scholars took years in prayer and fasting in translating thousands of original Hebrew and Greek manuscripts into the king James version. These men did the job right. Luke 24:45King James Version (KJV)

45 Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures,

Did God not know there would be people unable to read Hebrew or Greek, did He not consider this? Is He such an inept God that He has somehow allowed man to make a make of mess of His own Words? Has He opened your eyes to see His Word is flawed?

Congratulations Mr. Faither.
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap