Enhance and deepen your study of God's Word by asking Bible questions and sharing your answers.

How about Tithe

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How about Tithe

I see divided opinions when it comes to the issue of paying Tithe these days. A group of Christians teach it's an old Testament doctrine and that the Tithe was meant for one particular Tribe. They believe it is not for this dispensation.
    On the other hand those in support of giving Tithe believe It's a commandment that Christians up to these days most obey.
    What's your opinion in this sensitive matter.

Yes, tithing has a long history going back to the days of Abraham Genesis 14:19-20. It was most recently re-instituted by Nehemiah Nehemiah 10:35-37. I believe it is still relevant today as well Mark 12:17. Not only are we to tithe, but I also believe that giving is a privilege 2 Corinthians 9:7 and we should do without anything holding us back Mark 12:41-44. As far as I understand (which is quite limited) it is important for those employed by the church.
    Comment>

1 Corinthians 16:2 states the day the NT church was to continue the tithe: "2 On the first day of every week, each of you is to put something aside and store it up, as he may prosper, so that there will be no collecting when I come". I do not believe there is a explicit statement as to how much a person is limited to tithe in the NT, but 10% was the pattern set throughout the OT with an exception found in Mark 12:44.

God bless,
      William
      Comment>

Originally posted by wfredeemed009 View Post
        I believe it is still relevant today as well Mark 12:17.
        The tithe is not a tax, one should give without compulsion and out of generosity. Remember 2 Corinthians 9:7? Therefore, I do not believe Mark 12:17 really is applicable, unless our church be taxed, but even then that should be considered separate from the tithe.
        • Each one must give as he has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.

God bless,
        William
        Comment>

Yes, tithing has a long history going back to the days of Abraham Genesis 14:19-20. It was most recently re-instituted by Nehemiah Nehemiah 10:35-37. I believe it is still relevant today as well Mark 12:17. Not only are we to tithe, but I also believe that giving is a privilege 2 Corinthians 9:7 and we should do without anything holding us back Mark 12:41-44. As far as I understand (which is quite limited) it is important for those employed by the church.
          I am trying to see from the dimension that tithing has been a practice back in the days of Abraham. I'll like to know was it a command or voluntary giving which Abraham made. Let's take a look Malachi 3 verse 10, Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the Lord of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.
          Comment>

Malachi is a little tricky, because it is under the Covenant of Moses where the tithe was clearly no more optional than any other law that God commanded (like shellfish or tassels on your clothes). Thus the Jews who were not paying the tithe were indeed robbing God and bringing on themselves the curses promised along side the blessings.

Genesis records no LAW commanding Abraham to give 10% that I am aware of, so the tithe from Abraham to the King of Salem may have been voluntary.

I do not believe that the tithe (10%) is a command. I find ample NT evidence for the need for generosity and cheerful giving, but I see nothing to indicate that the dual blessing or curse of Malichi is applicable to those freed from the bondage to the Law. That said, I choose to give 10% and to give it 'off the top' (before any other bill is paid) but I do so as a reminder to me that my trust is NOT in my paycheck, but the God who provides it. Every time I let go of that money, it serves to remind ME what I hold as important. I am also a vehement opponent of those who argue that people are "robbing God". God is not the Godfather, demanding his cut off the top or else. I resent anything that presents God, and giving, that way.

If it bothers you to give, then keep the money. God does not need it and you have bigger issues to deal with. Issues of the heart. I advise anyone to do what scripture says, decide in your heart what you will give and give it cheerfully. Don't throw an extra dollar or five in the plate as an afterthought, if you choose to give one dollar a week, then give exactly $1 and give it every week. It is about the heart and the deliberate act of worship, not throwing God a fiver as an afterthought every now and again.

That's my view on the Tithe.
            (other people already provided the scriptures, so I didn't see a need to repeat them)
            Last edited by atpollard; 12-16-2016, 11:06 PM.
            Comment>

Yes Tithe is not tax..
              1. it is gratitude to God.. and obedience to God because He is giving all to us
              2. Tithe is the way to show the expression of gratitude..
              3. Tithe is the way to honor God,,
              4. Tithe is the source to strengthen the God's work (mission works)

In new testament there is no tithe..

He (Jesus) is purchased us..
              Through His blood He has purchased us..
              If we able to observe the new testament church people (early church people) they are able to show their great gratitude for 100%.. They are sold out the whole properties, and they poured all of their money to apostles,..
              i have admired when i read the matter how they gave to Lord

Totally i can say.. there is no tenth part in new testament
              we are belongs to new covenant.. we are people of God because Jesus purchased us
              we need to give more than tithes

So i have learn to give more.. right now i am giving more than 75% to ministry.. i have great satisfaction in soul and body too.. because i am not my own and i am belongs to Him... glory to God
              Comment>

Originally posted by tony View Post

I am trying to see from the dimension that tithing has been a practice back in the days of Abraham. I'll like to know was it a command or voluntary giving which Abraham made. Let's take a look Malachi 3 verse 10, Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the Lord of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.
                circumcision was practiced too
                Comment>

Originally posted by Papa Zoom View Post

circumcision was practiced too
                  Not clear how that relates? Can you elaborate?

God bless,
                  William
                  Comment>

Originally posted by William View Post

Not clear how that relates? Can you elaborate?

God bless,
                    William
                    Maybe it's not relevant. But some argue that tithing was practiced in the OT therefore.....
                    Comment>

This is from Murray J. Harris (NIDNTT):
                      The NT and tithing.
                      Is tithing an obligation under the new covenant? The NT writers maintain an eloquent silence on the matter (note especially 1 Cor. 9:13), choosing rather to emphasize: (1) the need for spontaneous generosity (Lk. 21:4; Acts 11:28-30; 2 Cor. 8:1-3, 7; 9:5-10; Eph. 4:28; 1 Tim. 6:18; Heb. 13:16; Jas. 2:15-16) in response to God's limitless giving (2 Cor. 8:8-9; 9:15; 1 Jn. 3:17); (2) the need for individual decision (1 Cor. 16:2; 2 Cor. 9:7; cf. Acts 11:29) apart from external pressure (2 Cor. 8:8; 9:5, 7); (3) the blessedness of giving (Acts 20:35); and (4) the consequences of giving as being the glory of God or Christ (2 Cor. 8:19; 9:12-13) (2:694, Number).
                      Comment>

Circumcision is somewhat important in the sense that it is something that God clearly and unambiguously commanded of Abraham and his decendents apart from and prior to the Law of Moses. Therefore, even though the Law covers lots of rules for circumcision, anyone operating under the Abrahamic Covenant should still honor the condition requiring circumcision.

With respect to the topic of tithes, circumcision shows that some Laws were established and abolished under the OT Law of Moses (like wearing tassels or cloth made of wool and linen) while other Laws predate Moses and may still be in effect for those under that covenant. The question then becomes is the tithe (10%) more like 'blended cloth' or more like 'circumcision' and does it apply to us?

Of course, if one just wanted to be a wise guy, then you could say that those who agitate you about the tithe should just go all the way and emasculate themselves! (Gal 5:12). :)
                        Comment>

Unless a command is repeated for us in the New Covenant all the Old Covenant laws have been abrogated/abolished (Hebrews 8:13). This pertains to the command to obey the 7th day Sabbath as well. I find it interesting that 9 of the 10 commandments are repeated in the New Covenant except this one.
                          Comment>

Originally posted by William View Post

The tithe is not a tax, one should give without compulsion and out of generosity. Remember 2 Corinthians 9:7? Therefore, I do not believe Mark 12:17 really is applicable, unless our church be taxed, but even then that should be considered separate from the tithe.
                            • Each one must give as he has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.

God bless,
                            William

Yes, I was making the point that we can never give enough to God and his church, for all things are his. Psalm 24:1
                            Comment>

I love what it says in 1 Chronicles 29:14.

from Your hand we have given You (NASB)
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap