Enhance and deepen your study of God's Word by asking Bible questions and sharing your answers.

The Beloved Disciple !?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Beloved Disciple !?

Who was he and why extra beloved more than these - even than Peter - wincam

Originally posted by wincam View Post
    Why don't you just tell us what you think and lets not play a guessing game.

Comment>

Originally posted by wincam View Post
      If by who you mean by name then that is unknown. The beloved disciple stands in sharp contrast to Peter who exhibits confusion, doubt, and even denied Jesus 3x. The beloved disciple:
      1. Found favorably in places which express loyalty to Christ Jesus: John 18:15-18, John 19:26-27
      2. Responses are appropriate by believing John 20:3-8
      3. Leans back on Christ Jesus when everyone else is doubting John 21:7

God bless,
      William
      Comment>

I think it's historically been believed by scholars to be John and scholars think that Jesus and John had a close friendship. " Got questions", I think, gives a nice succinct answer here: Who was the disciple whom Jesus loved?
        Comment>

Originally posted by Parousia View Post
          I think it's historically been believed by scholars to be John and scholars think that Jesus and John had a close friendship. " Got questions", I think, gives a nice succinct answer here: Who was the disciple whom Jesus loved?
          I agree that it's John. I think "the beloved disciple" is mentioned in the book of John most often right? My youth pastor told us he used to think that John had a big head calling himself the "beloved disciple." He later came to reason that maybe John was proud of his closeness to Jesus and just liked to reminded himself of that. I thought that was a cool perspective.
          Comment>

Or I've thought maybe the focus of his phrase "the disciple whom Jesus loved" is supposed to be on the grace of Jesus. In other words, he is not lifting himself up as a special disciple BUT implying that he is the grateful and undeserving recipient of Jesus' love?
            Comment>

Right, acknowledging how dear he is in a spirit of humility.
              Comment>
              Working...
              X
              Articles - News - SiteMap