Enhance and deepen your study of God's Word by asking Bible questions and sharing your answers.

Hardest Book in the Bible?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardest Book in the Bible?

I'm slowly making my way through the Bible and I've been having trouble reading through Deuteronomy, Numbers, and Leviticus. Mostly because they are just really dense chapters. In comparison, I found other parts easier like Genesis, Psalms, and Exodus. part of the reason is probably because Psalms can be broken up into parts, each individual Psalm can be studied by itself instead of as a greater whole. And the stories in Genesis and Exodus are familiar because they're some of the most retold stories growing up. Are their chapters in the bible you found you needed to reread or just seemed to take forever to complete?

Those are some of the more difficult books to get through, though if you skip through the geneology parts it does go a bit easier as you don't have to try and pronounce any of those names.

Aside from that I would say that Song of Solomon and Revelations can be pretty difficult to get through.
    Comment>

There's also the book of Zechariah. It can be easy to get through but since most of the prophecy's are about the end times it can be pretty hard to interpret the prophecies where no interpretation is provided. Apart from it I think 1 Chronicles can also be quite difficult to read. The geneologies . . .
      Comment>

Originally posted by Knotical View Post
        Those are some of the more difficult books to get through, though if you skip through the geneology parts it does go a bit easier as you don't have to try and pronounce any of those names.

Aside from that I would say that Song of Solomon and Revelations can be pretty difficult to get through.
        Oh, I liked Revelations. I read it while I was going through the Left Behind series, which I think was an interesting modern interpretation of what could happen. I'll be mindful of the Song of Solomon though and Zachariah.
        Comment>

I would say that Song of Solomon ... can be pretty difficult to get through.
          Hey Brother, just be happy that you don't have to figure out how to "preach" through it to your congregation ;)

Or do you? :eek:

Simul Justus et Peccator ~Martin Luther

"We are justified by faith alone, but the faith that justifies is never alone" ~John Calvin

"The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us." ~C. S. Lewis

"The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances" ~Elisabeth Elliot

"The law is for the self-righteous to humble their pride; the Gospel is for the lost to remove their despair. ~C. H. Spurgeon
          Comment>

Originally posted by St_Worm2 View Post

Hey Brother, just be happy that you don't have to figure out how to "preach" through it to your congregation ;)

Brothers!! Group hug!

Ours did, that is, the Song of Solomon. I was blown away. Christ, the whole thing was about Christ, and I never saw that before. Some theologians have a saying, "Christ on every page". That pretty much sums it up. How we read Song of Solomon and Revelation takes a great deal of study. One thing I know, perverted minds come up with all kinds of interpretations in the Song of Solomon.

I was going to say John was difficult with all its allusions. One has to have a familiar understanding of the OT to really understand John. A hermeneutical circle is formed in John. Each time one goes back around more and more is discovered. It is impossible to plumb its depths. Then Knotical mentioned Song of Solomon and I went silent, because that is one cryptic book to which I haven't applied the key (Christ) yet.

God bless,
            William
            Comment>

Originally posted by St_Worm2 View Post

Nope, not in the position to want or need to preach on that book. Though, I have heard in one place that it is about Christ, and in another place that it is about two lovers (husband and wife). Of course it could very well be the relationship between Jesus and His church (His bride).
              Comment>

Originally posted by William View Post

Brothers!! Group hug!

Ours did, that is, the Song of Solomon. I was blown away. Christ, the whole thing was about Christ, and I never saw that before. Some theologians have a saying, "Christ on every page". That pretty much sums it up. How we read Song of Solomon and Revelation takes a great deal of study. One thing I know, perverted minds come up with all kinds of interpretations in the Song of Solomon.

I was going to say John was difficult with all its allusions. One has to have a familiar understanding of the OT to really understand John. A hermeneutical circle is formed in John. Each time one goes back around more and more is discovered. It is impossible to plumb its depths. Then Knotical mentioned Song of Solomon and I went silent, because that is one cryptic book to which I haven't applied the key (Christ) yet.

God bless,
                William

Nope, not in the position to want or need to preach on that book. Though, I have heard in one place that it is about Christ, and in another place that it is about two lovers (husband and wife). Of course it could very well be the relationship between Jesus and His church (His bride).
                Hi Brothers, I'll have to mention that possibility to my senior pastor (who is nearly done preaching or teaching through all the books of the Bible in an expository manner (except SoS) .. either in Adult Sunday School or, of course, in church). He is someone who finds and points out, "Christ on every page", to us each week, but he normally deals with the text as it was written as well. Therein lies the problem with preaching or teaching a book to a room that is normally full of kids, a book that the Jews (if memory serves) restricted to those were married, or to singles who were 30 or older ;)
                Simul Justus et Peccator ~Martin Luther

"We are justified by faith alone, but the faith that justifies is never alone" ~John Calvin

"The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us." ~C. S. Lewis

"The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances" ~Elisabeth Elliot

"The law is for the self-righteous to humble their pride; the Gospel is for the lost to remove their despair. ~C. H. Spurgeon
                Comment>
                Working...
                X
                Articles - News - SiteMap