Enhance and deepen your study of God's Word by asking Bible questions and sharing your answers.

How to come to know God—The process of the Samaritan knows Jesus

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to come to know God—The process of the Samaritan knows Jesus

Someone asked such a question: who is your favorite person in the whole Bible? The answers were various, such as Jesus, Paul, Abraham, Solomon, David and so on, but I like the insignificant person-the Samaritan woman. Why do I like such an insignificant person? Let’s read the Bible. John 4[6-26] Let’s have a look from the dialog between Jesus and the Samaritan woman to consider that how she came to know that Jesus is the Messiah we are waiting for. Jesus was thirsty and He asked some water from the Samaritan woman. She saw Jesus is Jew and she said: How is it that you, being a Jew, ask drink of me, which am a woman of Samaritan? During that time, the religious belief was same as today, there were several sects, including Jews and Samaritans. Jews thought that Jehovah worked in the temple, and Samaritans thought His work should be on the mountain, so there are disputes between the two sects, even reached to a point of no contact with each other. Jesus told the Samaritan woman: If you know God’s blessing, and who is the one asking you for water, you would have asked of him, and he would have given you living water. After hearing that Jesus has living water, the Samaritan woman transformed her attitude, and said to Jesus:", Sir, there's not an appliance to work with, and the well is deep, where can you get living water? Our ancestor Jacob left the well for us. Himself and his son, and livestock also drank water from this well, are you greater than him? The Samaritan woman started her seeking journey, and asked Jesus how can He get living water without an appliance, and was He greater than her ancestor Jacob. Jesus answered: Those who drink this water will be thirsty again, but those who drink the water from me will be never thirsty again, but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life. At that time, the Samaritan woman was even more obviously, and said:"sir, please bestow the water to me". She changed the only original "sir" into "please"and "bestow", and at that time, the Samaritan woman had felt that Jesus was not a normal Jew, and had risen to a certain level. Jesus said to her, Go, call your husband, and come here. The woman answered and said, I have no husband. Jesus said to her, You have well said, I have no husband: For you have had five husbands; and he whom you now have is not your husband: in that said you truly. Jesus exposed the Samaritan woman's actions and deeds in secret. And He told her that she had five husbands and he whom now have is not your husband. Because 2000 years ago, before Jesus was crucified, people would be stoned to death if they against the law. So the thing that the Samaritan woman did in secret only she alone knew. But Jesus pointed it out which was not only one, but five. At the moment, the Samaritan woman said: Sir, I perceive that you are a prophet. Only the prophet can have such power, but the Samaritan didn't run away after being exposed by Jesus, she continued to seek Jesus: Our fathers worshiped in this mountain; and you say, that in Jerusalem is the place where men ought to worship. She didn't run away, and she put out a problem which had puzzled her for many years. This problem is also the biggest problem of religious world. She sought for Jesus about this problem. She asked Him where can find the God's footsteps and where the Holy Spirit works. Jesus said: Woman, believe me, the hour comes, when you shall neither in this mountain, nor yet at Jerusalem, worship the Father. You worship you know not what: we know what we worship: for salvation is of the Jews. But the hour comes, and now is, when the true worshipers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeks such to worship him. God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth. Jesus told Samaritan the highest realization and He told her that the time had come. We should worship God with our spirit and in truth. He didn't need us worship Him with outward, but our true heart. It was united in God's word. Then the Samaritan said: I know that Messiah comes, which is called Christ: when he is come, he will tell us all things. Although we often see these verses, the process that the Samaritan woman knew about Jesus tells us: we should according to the word of Jesus to know God, consider who has the truth, the way ans the life, and who can do the uniting work, who can bring us the higher practical way. So Peter said: Lord, to whom shall we go? you have the words of eternal life. Can we know how to recognize God today? Are we able to discern God’s voice? Are we able to keep up with the footsteps of the Lamb? Do you want to be the Samaritan woman?
    God bless you and your family.
Working...
X
Articles - News - SiteMap