Enhance and deepen your study of God's Word by asking Bible questions and sharing your answers.

Good commentaries on the Sapiential Literature?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good commentaries on the Sapiential Literature?

I've always had a deep love for the books of the Bible known as the Sapiential Literature: Job, Psalms, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, the Song of Songs (aka, Song of Solomon), and the apocryphal texts the Book of Wisdom and Sirach.

I thought I'd pose this question: what commentaries have you enjoyed on this body of work? Any you'd recommend that focus on individual books? How about the books or genre as a whole?

Thank you for sharing. :)

The majority of commentaries I use deal with the languages. If that is not a problem for you then Baker Commentary on the Old Testament Wisdom and Psalms Series is excellent. A commentary series that you might like is The NIV Application Commentary These are based upon the NIV but every author is a first rate scholar.

Two books that serve as introductions are: An Introduction to the Old Testament Poetic Books by C. Hassell Bullock and Handbook on the Wisdom Books and Psalms by Daniel J. Estes.
    Comment>
    Working...
    X
    Articles - News - SiteMap