Enhance and deepen your study of God's Word by asking Bible questions and sharing your answers.

Verse Memorization?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Verse Memorization?

Something I used to do is active verse memorization. I had quite a bit of the Gospel of John down at one point. That and most of the key passages in the New Testament with respect to salvation and Christian living. One of the tools that worked, beyond daily Bible reading, was flashcards I made up by hand and carried about at nearly all time. Alas, some of it has faded, but still most of it was retained.

Have you worked on verse memorization? What tools worked for you? Any that didn't?

Thanks. :)

No, I personally don't worked at verse memorization. Some got memorized by the first look and some got by being engraved in heart not in a specific words.
    Comment>

I now think that I should start working on it.
      Comment>

I don't try to memorize verses. I've read some of the books in the New Testament that I just know what is written therein. I think there'll come a time when I'll have a few books in the bible memorized in their entirety because I read them a lot.
        Comment>

I use the Navigator Topical Memory System.
          Simul Justus et Peccator ~Martin Luther

"We are justified by faith alone, but the faith that justifies is never alone" ~John Calvin

"The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us." ~C. S. Lewis

"The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances" ~Elisabeth Elliot

"The law is for the self-righteous to humble their pride; the Gospel is for the lost to remove their despair. ~C. H. Spurgeon
          Comment>

Originally posted by St_Worm2 View Post
            When I was saved I enrolled in this system. It helped me get started in the Christian life but when I studied the Bible I discovered that I didn't really understand what some of the verses meant because I had memorized them without studying the context.
            Clyde Herrin's Blog
            Comment>

Originally posted by theophilus View Post

When I was saved I enrolled in this system. It helped me get started in the Christian life but when I studied the Bible I discovered that I didn't really understand what some of the verses meant because I had memorized them without studying the context.
              Yikes! Yes, that would be problematic, especially since having the HS's help with deepening my understanding of each verse is a big part of the way I memorize.

I'm leading a group of men through the Topical Memory System right now. They've all been struggling with their thought-lives and are hoping that Scripture memorization will help them with that the way it helped me some years back (and still does today, PTL). I'm doing this on a different forum, but we rarely discuss the meaning of verses. I told them they should understand the verses in context, but other than that I've just had them memorize them (w/o making sure they understood them first).

It's a very ecumenical group, so thanks for pointing that out as a possible problem (I did my first 65 memory verses/passages as part of a Navigator Bible Study called the The 2.7 Series, so I never had to wonder about a proper exegesis of each verse because we were looking deeply into the meaning of each verse that we memorized as we went along with the study).

So again, thank you for pointing that out to me :) (we're only 6 verses into the study, so I'll go back and make sure everyone is clear about what they mean).

Yours and His,
              David

"How can a young man keep his way pure? By keeping it according to Thy word.
              Thy word I have treasured in my heart, that I may not sin against Thee"
              Psalm 119:9,11

"We are justified by faith alone, but the faith that justifies is never alone" ~John Calvin

"The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us." ~C. S. Lewis

"The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances" ~Elisabeth Elliot

"The law is for the self-righteous to humble their pride; the Gospel is for the lost to remove their despair. ~C. H. Spurgeon
              Comment>

Originally posted by St_Worm2 View Post
                Interesting. Thank you for sharing this. I've bookmarked this one for further study next week. :)
                Comment>

I'm just now starting to work on memorizing verses, but I'm memorizing them for encouragement to me and to others. It's all verses that mean something to me- obviously all of the bible means something to me, but I'm working on verses that I know have really comforted me in the past, ones that remind me God is there for me, things like that. It really helps to strengthen my faith too. Anyway, I haven't tried any tools, just reading the verses and reminding myself of them, but I may try some of the other ones mentioned in this post.
                  Comment>

Hi Lila, my only experience with Scripture memorization has been through the missionary parachurch organization called, "The Navigators". They've been at this since the 1930's and use verses grouped together under various "topics" to help with memory work. They also use a very carefully selected group of 60 verses broken into 5 topical groups as the basis for their system (just FYI).

This is not necessary to follow, of course, but the methods they employ are all meant to help lock verses into your mind permanently (so following what they suggest can be useful no matter which parts of God's word you are choosing to commit to memory).

The three "R's" of any memory work are Repetition, Repetition, Repetition. Scripture memorization is no different. So it feels a little more legalistic than spiritual at first because a lot of it is just hard work and commitment on your part, but the spiritual benefits you will reap from it is beyond amazing (perhaps you have already begun to experience this for yourself?).

One of the things the Navigators have you do is to say the topic before you say the verse, and the verse reference both before AND after you say it. They also suggest that you use a single translation for all of your memory work, and that you learn each verse PERFECTLY, word for word. You also need to continue to review all the verses you've already learned regularly (for quite some time after you've first learned them). All of these things are meant as helps to lock the verses into your mind.

The cool thing about memorization work as a Christian is that the HS will also help you to lock them into your heart by giving you a greater and greater understanding of each verse/passage, and by helping you apply them to your daily life (and to the lives of others you come across each day).

And it definitely makes sinning a much greater problem for us because as soon as temptation begins to set in, the HS hits you with several BIBLICAL reasons why you shouldn't :)

Finding a partner(s) to memorize with can also be very helpful and rewarding, and is highly recommended.

Also, be sure to take the time to truly learn what each verse means, in context, or you will run into the problem that Theophilus mentioned above. If you're not sure, just ask your pastor (or come here and someone will be able to help you with that).

Blessings to you in Christ! (Numbers 6:24-26)

--David

"How can a young man keep his way pure? By keeping it according to Thy word.
                    Thy word I have treasured in my heart, that I may not sin against Thee"

Psalm 119:9,11

Comment>
                    Working...
                    X
                    Articles - News - SiteMap