Enhance and deepen your study of God's Word by asking Bible questions and sharing your answers.

Your Bible Reading Plan(s)?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Bible Reading Plan(s)?

Hello all. I thought it would be interesting to "compare notes" on reading plans.

As a general rule, I read the Bible each year. I've used a study plan published by Lamp & Light Publishers that features an NT and an OT reading for each day. They give you permission to xerox as many copies as you want, so I've done so many times for our family, but also for others. Beyond that, one year I read the entire Bible with the Apocrypha/Deuterocanon straight through using the Renovaré Spiritual Formation Bible (NRSV) instead and found it interesting. Next year I am going to shake things up and am instead reading the four Gospels each month, but using a different translation each time. I think I will go KJV, NKJV, KJ21, Web, RSV, NRSV, ASB, NASB, NIV, NLT, GNB, and LUT.

How about you, do you have a monthly or yearly plan you use? Any alternative plans you've enjoyed? Any that that weren't all that fruitful? Thank you for sharing. :)

Originally posted by Nahum View Post
    How about you, do you have a monthly or yearly plan you use? Any alternative plans you've enjoyed? Any that that weren't all that fruitful? Thank you for sharing. :)
    I am using a systematic approach to the Bible. Basically, I study pertinent verses to either Soteriology, Covenant theology, or Eschatology etc. The order of chapters I read has to do with the systematic topic found in a systematic theology book. Basically, if I plan to study soteriology for a year, then for a year I will be studying all verses and their accompanying interpretations for or against any particular soteriological position. I study this way, because I like to understand all views, whether I have rejected them or not.

God bless,
    William
    Comment>

I have no bible reading plans. Each month though I'll read the gospels, the book of Revelation and Isaiah. From time to time when reading devotionals I can read a few verses from any of the books the verses [in the devotional] are quoted from.
      Comment>

I have tried different plans but usually I simply read straight through from Genesis to Revelation, and when I finish I start over with Genesis. I am currently in Exodus. I don't try to make by reading correspond with the calendar year but just keep reading through. I also do some studying of the Bible that isn't part of my general reading.I am attending two weekly Bible studies, one on Daniel and the other in Acts.
        Clyde Herrin's Blog
        Comment>

I have no reading plan. I tend to work though each book one by one, unless a topical study is my goal.
          Comment>

I always try plans and sometimes do devotionals, but I end up just starting at the beginning and reading all the way through. This time though, I started with the NT. Switched it up a little.
            Comment>

Originally posted by Smithee View Post
              I have no bible reading plans. Each month though I'll read the gospels, the book of Revelation and Isaiah. From time to time when reading devotionals I can read a few verses from any of the books the verses [in the devotional] are quoted from.
              Interesting. If you don't mind me asking, why the Four Gospels, Revelations, and Isaiah each month? Is there any theological reason for focusing on this particular books? Thanks.
              Comment>

I as all know, I'm recent to Christ, I started a New Testament Plan of 92 days from Biblestudytools.com, and after that i haven't decided.
                Comment>

Nahum, the reason I focus solely on the Gospels is because they contain everything that one needs to know in order to be saved. And the book of Isaiah is the only other book in the bible that is very much like the Gospels. I like the teachings of Christ and like to read them all the time. And to be honest I've never felt to reading any of the other books in the New Testament.
                  Comment>

the reason I focus solely on the Gospels is because they contain everything that one needs to know in order to be saved.
                    But salvation is only the first step in the Christian life. If you want to become mature and serve Christ effectively you will need to study the rest of the Bible. Jesus himself told the disciples that there were deeper truths they weren't ready for yet that the Holy Spirit would reveal to them.
                    I still have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now. When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth, for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come. He will glorify me, for he will take what is mine and declare it to you. All that the Father has is mine; therefore I said that he will take what is mine and declare it to you.
                    (John 16:12-15 ESV)
                    These teachings are found in the rest of the New Testament, after the gospels. You also need to understand the Old Testament because it is the foundation for the things Christ did and taught.
                    Clyde Herrin's Blog
                    Comment>

Nahum, the reason I focus solely on the Gospels is because they contain everything that one needs to know in order to be saved. And the book of Isaiah is the only other book in the bible that is very much like the Gospels. I like the teachings of Christ and like to read them all the time. And to be honest I've never felt to reading any of the other books in the New Testament.
                      I understand that you really like\enjoy the Gospels and Isaiah but God in his infinite wisdom has give us 66 books.
                      Comment>

Originally posted by Origen View Post
                        I understand that you really like\enjoy the Gospels and Isaiah but God in his infinite wisdom has give us 66 books.
                        Agreed with this, big time. The Gospels are central to our Christian life and walk. And Isaiah is an important book in many respects. But, indeed, in His wisdom, the Lord gave us a beautiful collection of texts in the Word.
                        Comment>

When Jesus told his enemies to search the Scriptures, he was talking about the Old Testament. There was no New Testament at that time:

John 5:39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

What did Jesus know about the ordeal he faced?

* He knew that he would die and that Jerusalem would be destroyed shortly afterwards:
                          Dan 9:26 And after threescore and two weeks shall Messiah be cut off, but not for himself: and the people of the prince that shall come shall destroy the city and the sanctuary; and the end thereof shall be with a flood, and unto the end of the war desolations are determined.

* He knew that he would die to atone for the sins of his followers:
                          Isa 53:5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed. 53:9 And he made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death; because he had done no violence, neither was any deceit in his mouth.

* He knew that he would be crucified:
                          Psalm 22:16 For dogs have compassed me: the assembly of the wicked have inclosed me: they pierced my hands and my feet. 22:17 I may tell all my bones: they look and stare upon me. 22:18 They part my garments among them, and cast lots upon my vesture.

* He knew that he would be raised to life again shortly after his death:
                          Psalm 16:10 For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.

* He knew that Israel would be scattered around the world and regathered before reborn Israel is attacked and almost destroyed:
                          Eze 38:8 After many days thou shalt be visited: in the latter years thou shalt come into the land that is brought back from the sword, and is gathered out of many people, against the mountains of Israel, which have been always waste: but it is brought forth out of the nations, and they shall dwell safely all of them.

Zec 14:2 For I will gather all nations against Jerusalem to battle; and the city shall be taken, and the houses rifled, and the women ravished; and half of the city shall go forth into captivity, and the residue of the people shall not be cut off from the city. 14:3 Then shall the LORD go forth, and fight against those nations,

*He knew that the nations of the world would resist the establishment of his world wide government of peace:
                          Psa 2:1 Why do the heathen rage, and the people imagine a vain thing? 2:2 The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, against the LORD, and against his anointed, saying, 2:3 Let us break their bands asunder, and cast away their cords from us. 2:4 He that sitteth in the heavens shall laugh: the Lord shall have them in derision. 2:5 Then shall he speak unto them in his wrath, and vex them in his sore displeasure. 2:6 Yet have I set my king upon my holy hill of Zion.

Heb 12:2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

Rev 11:15 And the seventh angel sounded; and there were great voices in heaven, saying, The kingdoms of this world are become the kingdoms of our Lord, and of his Christ; and he shall reign for ever and ever.

Rev 5:9 And they sung a new song, saying, Thou art worthy to take the book, and to open the seals thereof: for thou wast slain, and hast redeemed us to God by thy blood out of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation; 5:10 And hast made us unto our God kings and priests: and we shall reign on the earth.

Mat 5:5 Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.

Gal 3:16 Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ.

Gen 13:14 And the LORD said unto Abram, after that Lot was separated from him, Lift up now thine eyes, and look from the place where thou art northward, and southward, and eastward, and westward: 13:15 For all the land which thou seest, to thee will I give it, and to thy seed for ever.

Comment>

Originally posted by pah View Post
                            When Jesus told his enemies to search the Scriptures, he was talking about the Old Testament. There was no New Testament at that time:

John 5:39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

What did Jesus know about the ordeal he faced?

* He knew that he would die and that Jerusalem would be destroyed shortly afterwards:
                            Dan 9:26 And after threescore and two weeks shall Messiah be cut off, but not for himself: and the people of the prince that shall come shall destroy the city and the sanctuary; and the end thereof shall be with a flood, and unto the end of the war desolations are determined.

* He knew that he would die to atone for the sins of his followers:
                            Isa 53:5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed. 53:9 And he made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death; because he had done no violence, neither was any deceit in his mouth.

* He knew that he would be crucified:
                            Psalm 22:16 For dogs have compassed me: the assembly of the wicked have inclosed me: they pierced my hands and my feet. 22:17 I may tell all my bones: they look and stare upon me. 22:18 They part my garments among them, and cast lots upon my vesture.

* He knew that he would be raised to life again shortly after his death:
                            Psalm 16:10 For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.

* He knew that Israel would be scattered around the world and regathered before reborn Israel is attacked and almost destroyed:
                            Eze 38:8 After many days thou shalt be visited: in the latter years thou shalt come into the land that is brought back from the sword, and is gathered out of many people, against the mountains of Israel, which have been always waste: but it is brought forth out of the nations, and they shall dwell safely all of them.

Zec 14:2 For I will gather all nations against Jerusalem to battle; and the city shall be taken, and the houses rifled, and the women ravished; and half of the city shall go forth into captivity, and the residue of the people shall not be cut off from the city. 14:3 Then shall the LORD go forth, and fight against those nations,

*He knew that the nations of the world would resist the establishment of his world wide government of peace:
                            Psa 2:1 Why do the heathen rage, and the people imagine a vain thing? 2:2 The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, against the LORD, and against his anointed, saying, 2:3 Let us break their bands asunder, and cast away their cords from us. 2:4 He that sitteth in the heavens shall laugh: the Lord shall have them in derision. 2:5 Then shall he speak unto them in his wrath, and vex them in his sore displeasure. 2:6 Yet have I set my king upon my holy hill of Zion.

Heb 12:2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

Rev 11:15 And the seventh angel sounded; and there were great voices in heaven, saying, The kingdoms of this world are become the kingdoms of our Lord, and of his Christ; and he shall reign for ever and ever.

Rev 5:9 And they sung a new song, saying, Thou art worthy to take the book, and to open the seals thereof: for thou wast slain, and hast redeemed us to God by thy blood out of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation; 5:10 And hast made us unto our God kings and priests: and we shall reign on the earth.

Mat 5:5 Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.

Gal 3:16 Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ.

Gen 13:14 And the LORD said unto Abram, after that Lot was separated from him, Lift up now thine eyes, and look from the place where thou art northward, and southward, and eastward, and westward: 13:15 For all the land which thou seest, to thee will I give it, and to thy seed for ever.
                            Pah,

I think you missed the intent of the Original Poster. The questions asked were:

God bless,
                            William
                            Comment>

William,

I have a Bible reading plan that I use. It takes me through the OT once a year and the NT twice a year. It's a pdf. Happy to share it with anybody who'd like to see it.

PAH
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap