Why don't most Christians celebrate Ascenion day?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why don't most Christians celebrate Ascenion day?

I have Mennonite friends that do observe Ascension day with special services and a sort of celebration. I think this is a wonderful idea. What do you say?

What day of the year does it fall on?
    Comment>

Originally posted by Faber View Post
      For me, that perfectly answers the question "Why don't most Christians celebrate Ascenion day?" :)
      Comment>

Ascention day is in June, i am unsure of the day as it may vary.

Justme
        Comment>

Like Easter, I think people might celebrate it more if it was on a specific day.
          Comment>

Like Easter, I think people might celebrate it more if it was on a specific day.
            It really is I just don't know which day it is. It may well be on the same day each year, or like resurrection day as it changes year to year.

justme
            Comment>

Ascension Day is the fortieth day of Eastertide, with Easter Sunday being the first day of Eastertide. It is one of may feasts tied to the date of Easter, such as Ash Wednesday, Pentecost, Trinity Sunday and Corpus Christi.
              Comment>

Originally posted by ThyWordisTruth View Post

Ascension Day is the fortieth day of Eastertide, with Easter Sunday being the first day of Eastertide. It is one of may feasts tied to the date of Easter, such as Ash Wednesday, Pentecost, Trinity Sunday and Corpus Christi.
                Outstanding! thanks so very much!

justme
                Comment>

It's curious that folks observe Christmas, Lent, Easter, etc., when scripture is silent with regard to anyone doing so and ignore the festivals that ARE commanded by the supreme being to be observed.
                  Comment>

Originally posted by rstrats View Post
                    It's curious that folks observe Christmas, Lent, Easter, etc., when scripture is silent with regard to anyone doing so and ignore the festivals that ARE commanded by the supreme being to be observed.
                    Romans 14 (NASB)

1 Now accept the one who is weak in faith, but not for the purpose of passing judgment on his opinions. 2 One person has faith that he may eat all things, but he who is weak eats vegetables only. 3 The one who eats is not to regard with contempt the one who does not eat, and the one who does not eat is not to judge the one who eats, for God has accepted him. 4 Who are you to judge the [fn]servant of another? To his own [fn]master he stands or falls; and he will stand, for the Lord is able to make him stand.
                    5 One person [fn]regards one day above another, another regards every day alike. Each person must be fully convinced in his own mind. 6 He who observes the day, observes it for the Lord, and he who eats, [fn]does so for the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who eats not, for the Lord he does not eat, and gives thanks to God. 7 For not one of us lives for himself, and not one dies for himself; 8 for if we live, we live for the Lord, or if we die, we die for the Lord; therefore whether we live or die, we are the Lord’s. 9 For to this end Christ died and lived again, that He might be Lord both of the dead and of the living.
                    10 But you, why do you judge your brother? Or you again, why do you regard your brother with contempt? For we will all stand before the judgment seat of God. 11 For it is written,
                    “AS I LIVE, SAYS THE LORD, EVERY KNEE SHALL BOW TO ME,
                    AND EVERY TONGUE SHALL [fn]GIVE PRAISE TO GOD.”
                    12 So then each one of us will give an account of himself to God.
                    13 Therefore let us not judge one another anymore, but rather determine this—not to put an obstacle or a stumbling block in a brother’s way. 14 I know and am convinced [fn]in the Lord Jesus that nothing is unclean in itself; but to him who thinks anything to be unclean, to him it is unclean. 15 For if because of food your brother is hurt, you are no longer walking according to love. Do not destroy with your food him for whom Christ died. 16 Therefore do not let what is for you a good thing be [fn]spoken of as evil; 17 for the kingdom of God is not eating and drinking, but righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit. 18 For he who in this way serves Christ is acceptable to God and approved by men. 19 So then [fn]we pursue the things which make for peace and the building up of one another. 20 Do not tear down the work of God for the sake of food. All things indeed are clean, but they are evil for the man who eats [fn]and gives offense. 21 It is good not to eat meat or to drink wine, or to do anythingby which your brother stumbles. 22 The faith which you have, have [fn]as your own conviction before God. Happy is he who does not condemn himself in what he approves. 23 But he who doubts is condemned if he eats, because his eating is not from faith; and whatever is not from faith is sin.
                    Comment>

atpollard,

I'm afraid I don't see your point with regard to my comment in post #9. I wonder if you might explain?

Comment>

Originally posted by rstrats View Post
                        atpollard,

I'm afraid I don't see your point with regard to my comment in post #9. I wonder if you might explain?
                        Sure, nothing sinister or critical of your post. I just am a strong believer in looking at a verse in context.

Romans 14:5-6 talk specifically about those who celebrate holidays and those who do not. Neither is universally right or universally wrong. The criteria is "Each person must be fully convinced in his own mind." Then comes the dual blessing that he who does, gives thanks to God in his doing, and he who abstains, gives thanks to God in his abstention. Thus both those who celebrate the holiday and those who do not are acting to bring honor to God.

Romans 14:13 offers advice and a warning that we must not be critical of those who disagree on these non-essential matters of conscience. It would be far better to grant a brother/sister in Christ the freedom to celebrate or not celebrate a day, than to harm a vulnerable child of God with harsh judgement from us.

Romans 14:14 places a final judgement and warning on each believer, about food and holidays and all questionable matters. "Nothing is unclean in itself" would include the celebration of holidays not commanded and the abstention from holidays commanded of another people under another covenant ... or the celebration of OT holidays and the abstention from new holidays in celebration of NT events. Then comes the warning at the heart of the matter: "to him who thinks any thing to be unclean, to him it is unclean."

Thus if my conscience tells me that I should celebrate the birth and death of my Lord, then to refuse to do so because someone else says it is wrong is a sin for me. If your conscience tells you that you should not celebrate Christmas and Easter, then for you to yield to popular culture and celebrate those holidays is a sin for you.

The same holds true for whatever 'festivals' you think God has commanded us to observe.

I hope that clarifies.
                        Arthur

Last edited by atpollard; 08-14-2017, 08:23 AM.
                        Comment>

Personally I am seriously considering celebrating assnetion day, because it reminds me that the Lord jesus Christ is going to return in a time I least expect it. that's just me, and I fully understand anyone who disagrees with my thinking.

justme
                          Comment>

Originally posted by justme View Post
                            Personally I am seriously considering celebrating assnetion day, because it reminds me that the Lord jesus Christ is going to return in a time I least expect it. that's just me, and I fully understand anyone who disagrees with my thinking.

justme
                            It works for me. Heck, our pentacostal church celebrates with the community just because it is the third Thursday of the month!

(this is not my church, just a fun song)
                            Comment>
                            Working...
                            X
                            Articles - News - SiteMap