Easter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easter

It’s that time of year when some ignorant christians trot out the old accusation that Easter is a pagan festival introduced by the Catholic Church, and quote from the Venerable Bede’s writing in the 7th century that the name derived from the Saxon godess Eostre.

Let’s deal with the name first. Was Bede right? The answer is possibly not. There are other theories about the derivation from High German eostarum which derived from the Latin in albis, or the anglo-saxon ostera meaning ‘rise’.

Whatever the derivation, it is irrelevant, as it is peculiar to English. In the Catholic Church the proper name for this season is the Latin Pascha (Greek Pascha), which come from the Hebrew Pesach (Passover).

The word used in dozens of languages for this time is also based on the Hebrew for Passover, for example Danish, Finnish, French, Greek, Italian, Japanese, Persian, Portuguese, Polish, Russian, Spanish and Swedish. Others are based on the word for Resurrection or other words. None of them concerned with pagan anything.

This season is not about bunnies or eggs. It is remembering and celebrating the Last Supper, the Passion, Death and Resurrection of Jesus Christ at Pascha.

At the end of the Vigil Mass this year we sang “Thine Be The Glory” a wonderful hymn of triumph.

EASTER is a christian hollday
    Comment>

Originally posted by Bede View Post
      It’s that time of year when some ignorant christians trot out the old accusation that Easter is a pagan festival introduced by the Catholic Church, and quote from the Venerable Bede’s writing in the 7th century that the name derived from the Saxon godess Eostre.

Let’s deal with the name first. Was Bede right? The answer is possibly not. There are other theories about the derivation from High German eostarum which derived from the Latin in albis, or the anglo-saxon ostera meaning ‘rise’.

Whatever the derivation, it is irrelevant, as it is peculiar to English. In the Catholic Church the proper name for this season is the Latin Pascha (Greek Pascha), which come from the Hebrew Pesach (Passover).

The word used in dozens of languages for this time is also based on the Hebrew for Passover, for example Danish, Finnish, French, Greek, Italian, Japanese, Persian, Portuguese, Polish, Russian, Spanish and Swedish. Others are based on the word for Resurrection or other words. None of them concerned with pagan anything.

This season is not about bunnies or eggs. It is remembering and celebrating the Last Supper, the Passion, Death and Resurrection of Jesus Christ at Pascha.

At the end of the Vigil Mass this year we sang “Thine Be The Glory” a wonderful hymn of triumph.

You are telling me things I have never heard or read before.

That is not to say I accept the equilibrium or equivalency or correlation ---whatever--- which you draw between ‘easter’ and ‘passover’.

It being something new to me personally, it might require years of study for me to find out about all information and decide if the equation you have concluded on, is legitimate or not—years I do and will not have.

So I have to decide on basis of what you are saying right here, only.

And I may say after first glance, If true, it nevertheless raises no questions whatsoever with regard to the Scriptures’ truth, that Jesus Christ after his Last Passover-Suffering in Triumph “rose from the dead ACCORDING TO THE SCRIPTURES ON THE THIRD DAY” of that last passover in his life, “In the fullness of Sabbath’s Day being in the very mid-afternoon of daylight inclining towards the First Day of the week”. “Because Jesus …” through resurrection from the dead “… having entered into his own rest … God thus IN TIMES PAST through the prophets and IN THESE LAST DAYS by the Son spake concerning the Seventh Day : And God the day The Seventh Day from all his works RESTED.”

Therefore, if you have planned to deliver a plea on behalf of Sunday sacredness because of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ, instead of the Seventh Day Sabbath OF THE LORD GOD, you despite your brave effort, had to fail.

Comment>

The seventh day, Saturday is still the Sabbath Day. Sunday is the Lord's Day, celebrating the resurrection of Jesus Christ. Easter is a Christian holiday with a name that comes from pagan background. Passover is what it is, a special Passover from the rest of the year. I am not sure of my facts here, but It started on Thursday night,being Friday after sundown. Jesus was buried Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, having risen that day, making three days. There is a special name for this Passover, but I forget what it is. The word "Easter" is a mistranslation in the KJV, but the day is an holiday... the holiest of holidays, in fact.
        Comment>

Originally posted by Stratcat View Post
          It started on Thursday night,being Friday after sundown. Jesus was buried Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, having risen that day, making three days.
          That would be, Jesus was crucified on Thursday (two days before the Sabbath??), and that he spent Thursday night through Saturday night in the tomb? That's three nights, but not three full nights as the empty tomb was discovered before night was over. That's two days, calling it three days is a stretch. You have two days and three hours of a third day (Jesus died the 9th hour of a 12 hour daylight period).

I believe the correct details are as follows:

Jesus died Wednesday afternoon and was entombed Wednesday night. Jesus rose Saturday night. That is three days and three nights. (By Hebrew reckoning, the full days of Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.) Wednesday was the day before a high day sabbath (John 19:31 + Leviticus 23:32, a Jewish holiday sabbath, not a 7th-day sabbath). Jesus rose Saturday night, but the empty tomb wasn't discovered until Sunday morning (making Sunday a legitimate day to celebrate Easter).

Comment>

It is the High Day Sabbath I was trying to remember. I knew there was a special Sabbath, but forgot what it was called.
            Comment>

Three days NT texts 1

All these Scriptures are in PERFECT AGREEMENT in every respect :

Abib 14, Wednesday night and Thursday day = Fifth Day ....

1A) HERE BEGINS the NIGHT and the FIRST of the “three days”, “according to the Scriptures” – the passover–Scriptures :–
              wherein Jesus ENTERED IN in “the Kingdom of my Father” (Jesus’ Jonah’s descent to hell) :–
              Mk14:12/17; Mt26:17/20; Lk22:7/14; Jn13:1.

1B) HERE BEGINS the MORNING of the FIRST of the “three days”, “according to the Scriptures” – the passover–Scriptures :–
              in which Jesus was delivered and crucified :–
              Mk15:1/Mt27:1/Lk23:1/Jn19:14

1C) HERE is the LATE NOON AND MID–AFTERNOON of the FIRST of the “three days”, “according to the Scriptures” – the passover–Scriptures :–
              when Jesus DIED and was deserted by all :–
              Mk15:37–41; Mk27:50–56; Lk23:44–49; Jn19:28–30

. . . . . .
              Abib 15, Thursday night and Friday day = Sixth Day ....

2A) HERE BEGINS the SECOND of the “three days”, “according to the Scriptures” – the passover–Scriptures :–
              the day whereon Joseph WOULD BURY the body of Jesus :–
              Mk15:42/Mt27:57, Lk23:50–51, Jn19:31/38.

2B) HERE is the NIGHT of the SECOND of the “three days”, “according to the Scriptures” – the passover–Scriptures :–
              wherein Joseph begged the body, and according to the law of the Jews – the passover’s law – undertook and prepared to bury Jesus:–
              Mk15:43–46a; Mt27:58–59; Lk23:52–53a; Jn19:31b–40

2C) HERE is the LATE NOON AND MID–AFTERNOON of the SECOND of the “three days”, “according to the Scriptures” – the passover–Scriptures :–
              when Joseph and Nicodemus laid the body and closed the tomb; and men and women left for home :–
              Mk15:46b–47; Mk27:60–61; Lk23:53b–56a; JN19:41–42

. . . . . . .
              Abib 16, Friday night and Saturday day = Seventh Day Sabbath....

3A) HERE BEGINS the THIRD of the “three days”, “according to the Scriptures” – the passover–Scriptures :–
              THAT JESUS WOULD RISE FROM THE DEAD ON :–
              Lk23:56b

3B) HERE is the MORNING of the THIRD of the “three days”, “according to the Scriptures” – the passover–Scriptures :–
              Pilate ordered a guard “for the third day” :–
              Mt27:62–66

3C) HERE is “IN the Sabbath’s Fullness MID–AFTERNOON” of the THIRD of the “three days”, “according to the Scriptures” – the passover–Scriptures :–
              First Sheaf Wave Offering Before the LORD :–
              Mt28:1–4.

__________________________________________________ ___

Abib 17, Saturday night and Sunday day = First Day ....

4A) HERE begins the day AFTER the “three days” (fourth day of the passover season) :–
              that Jesus WOULD APPEAR on :–
              Mk16:1, “When the Sabbath was past ..... they BOUGHT ....”

4B) HERE is the EVENING of this day,
              Jn20:1–10 Mary sees the DOOR STONE was away from the tomb (discovers tomb has been OPENED);

4C) HERE is the NIGHT of this day,
              Lk24:1–10 “DEEP(EST) DARKNESS” ––– “women with their spices” and ointments go to salve the body; “they found Him NOT” (discover tomb is EMPTY);
              Mk16:2–8 “very early (before) SUN’S RISING” ––– women’s return–visit to ascertain; “they fled terrified and told NO ONE”.

4D) Here is sunrise (‘Sunday’ morning),
              Jn20:11f, Mk16:9 “Mary had had stood behind” .... saw the gardener (sunrise); “Risen, early (sunrise) on the First Day, Jesus first APPEARED to Mary ....”
              Mt28:5–10 “The angel explained to the (other) women (Mt28:1–4) .... As they went to tell .... Jesus met them” (after sunrise).
              Mt28:11–15 Guard to high priests.

USE BIBLES OF BEFORE THE TWENTIETH CENTURY – they are not as wangled as the later ones. And compare those ancient translations with the modern ones to see the truth of the older ones!

Comment>

Stratcat,
                re: "Jesus was buried Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, having risen that day..."

How do you account for the 3rd night time that the Messiah said He would be in the "heart of the earth"?
                Comment>

THERE is no day commanded in scripture to be kept holy under the gospel but the Lord’s day, which is the Christian Sabbath. Festival days, vulgarly called Holy-days, having no warrant in the word of God, are not to be continued. Nevertheless, it is lawful and necessary, upon special emergent occasions, to separate a day or days for publick fasting or thanksgiving, as the several eminent and extraordinary dispensations of God’s providence shall administer cause and opportunity to his people.
                  As no place is capable of any holiness, under pretence of whatsoever dedication or consecration; so neither is it subject to such pollution by any superstition formerly used, and now laid aside, as may render it unlawful or inconvenient for Christians to meet together therein for the publick worship of God. And therefore we hold it requisite, that the places of publick assembling for worship among us should be continued and employed to that use. – Directory of Publick Worship

Comment>

~JM~,
                    re: "THERE is no day commanded in scripture to be kept holy under the gospel but the Lord’s day, which is the Christian Sabbath."

If by "Lord's day" you mean the first day of the week, I'm not aware of any scripture which says that it is to be kept holy. What do you have in mind?

Comment>

Originally posted by rstrats View Post
                      ~JM~,
                      re: "THERE is no day commanded in scripture to be kept holy under the gospel but the Lord’s day, which is the Christian Sabbath."

If by "Lord's day" you mean the first day of the week, I'm not aware of any scripture which says that it is to be kept holy. What do you have in mind?

I was quoting Directory of Public worship which refers to the command by God to observe rest, the one day in seven principle found in Genesis through Revelation.
                      Comment>

~JM~,
                        re: "I was quoting Directory of Public worship which refers to the command by God to observe rest, the one day in seven principle found in Genesis through Revelation."

By "Lord's day" do you mean the first day of the week, and if so, where do you find in Genesis through Revelation that it is commanded to be "kept holy"?
                        Comment>

OK, just so it's understood that there is no scripture that refers to any day of the week, much less the first day of the week, as the Lord's Day.
                          Comment>

Originally posted by rstrats View Post
                            Stratcat,
                            re: "Jesus was buried Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, having risen that day..."

How do you account for the 3rd night time that the Messiah said He would be in the "heart of the earth"?
                            ​The discrepancy is due to the way the Jews counted time. Literalists will likely find it a stumbling block.

​Thursday night and Friday day, evening and morning the first day.
                            Friday night and Saturday day, evening and morning the second day.
                            Saturday night and Sunday day, evening and morning the third day.
                            Comment>

Originally posted by DOMINICHI View Post
                              ​The discrepancy is due to the way the Jews counted time. Literalists will likely find it a stumbling block.

​Thursday night and Friday day, evening and morning the first day.
                              Friday night and Saturday day, evening and morning the second day.
                              Saturday night and Sunday day, evening and morning the third day.
                              You need to check who's stumbling. Jesus was crucified on Wednesday evening, and laid in the tomb about sunset. And, three days and three nights later he arose. The empty tomb was discovered early Sunday morning. That may not fit your tradition, but it fits the Bible.

I'm perfectly willing to be non-literal, except when being non-literal is unnecessary and irrational. I'm perfectly happy observing the crucifixion on Friday, even though I know it isn't literally the correct day.
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap