Why Easter not Passover?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Easter not Passover?

Why we celebrate Easter instead of Passover, the true event regarding the crucifixion of our Lord. Jesus died on Passover day and Jewish festivals are celebrated from evening to evening as the Lord in Genesis called the day. But why we are using Easter as the crucifixion of our Lord and also Easter is of Pagan Origin.Why? Should I celebrate Easter or Passover to celebrate the true event of Jesus's crucifixion?

Have you read Colossians 2:16, mortirattan? Personally, I do not celebrate Easter or Passover, but Resurrection Sunday.

God bless,
    William
    Comment>

Thanks William. Now I understand Easter and Passover are for those who are binded by something but with Christ we are free.
      Comment>

The very list of things that no one in the New Covenant is to be judged over keeping mentioned here by Paul is quoted from the Scriptures, meat (food), drink, festival (days), new moon and Sabbath. The list is taken from Numbers chapter 28.
        (Numbers 28:1-8) Daily meat and drink.
        (Numbers 28:9-10) Sabbath day.
        (Numbers 28:11-18) New moon.
        (Numbers 28:17-25) The feast of Unleavened Bread.
        (Numbers 28: 26-31) The feast of Weeks (or First-fruits).
        (Numbers 29:1-6) The feast of Trumpets.
        (Numbers 29:7-11) The day of Atonement.
        (Numbers 29:12-40) The feast of Tabernacles.

Eating and drinking for and because of Yahweh (meat or not meat e.g. in an other verse in Paul's instructions), keeping the moadim (festivals or better translated the Appointed times of Yahweh as He himself says, in Leviticus), keeping new moon (I don't know any ordinances of keeping new moon or any instruction given regarding it in the New Covenant Scriptures, so this too has to be a God given commandment from old) or keeping Sabbath (which they did keep and not any other holy day of the week for rest because - again no ordinances or instruction of any change regarding Sabbath day, the 7th day of the week was given in the New Testament time by God, by Yeshua, by apostles or by anyone, you can not find a possible change of the resting day there) is a normal Christian thing because it was a normal Christian manner and custom during the times of apostles among Jewish and Greek believers, no dout about it. What other festivals should they have celebrated? Pagan rituals? Greek pagan rituals?
        The next verse says "Which are a shadow of the things to come; and the body of Christ." What? These things, that are shadows of the things to come, are thus still essential, because the things to come have not yet come! Which means that we as believers in Christ are to celebrate and keep these things now as did God's nation then, earlier, because they still are a shadow - of things to come. The actual and real and true fulfilment of those or these things is only to come - it is not yet here, in our hands. We do not live in the new heavens and new earth yet, we are still awaiting those things to be realized - in the future.
        So, Paul states that the body is Christ, which means that only those who are in Christ have a real and true acces now to these things, meat, drink, G-d's Appointed times thus they are exactly for New testament Christians because they own their full meaning and fully understand them being pointers just to Him, crucified and resurrected Jesus! That is our fulfilment of those things while waiting for the proper and final fulfilment of them to be. Be glad and rejoice in doing all those things mentioned because they are a heavenly gift for you a New Testament Christian in Christ as they were for his people for a loooong time before "gradually, partially" fulfilled in Christ. Continue having them - the Mosaic things - with joy, they are for you, and just for you, New Covenant Christians and do not take part in idolatrious festivals that the very same Paul warns not to do, not to have any share with idols and their manners and foods offered to idols in their festivities.
        Comment>

Originally posted by slippy View Post
          The next verse says "Which are a shadow of the things to come; and the body of Christ." What? These things, that are shadows of the things to come, are thus still essential, because the things to come have not yet come! Which means that we as believers in Christ are to celebrate and keep these things now as did God's nation then, earlier, because they still are a shadow - of things to come. The actual and real and true fulfilment of those or these things is only to come - it is not yet here, in our hands. We do not live in the new heavens and new earth yet, we are still awaiting those things to be realized - in the future.

So, Paul states that the body is Christ, which means that only those who are in Christ have a real and true acces now to these things, meat, drink, G-d's Appointed times thus they are exactly for New testament Christians because they own their full meaning and fully understand them being pointers just to Him, crucified and resurrected Jesus! That is our fulfilment of those things while waiting for the proper and final fulfilment of them to be. Be glad and rejoice in doing all those things mentioned because they are a heavenly gift for you a New Testament Christian in Christ as they were for his people for a loooong time before "gradually, partially" fulfilled in Christ. Continue having them - the Mosaic things - with joy, they are for you, and just for you, New Covenant Christians and do not take part in idolatrious festivals that the very same Paul warns not to do, not to have any share with idols and their manners and foods offered to idols in their festivities.
          Have you considered amillennial eschatology, which is defined by some as a "realized" millennium?

Anyways, Paul frees Christians from observance of the shadows of things to come because they were shadows at a time when Christ was still in a manner, absent. Christ is now manifested to us, and is why we enjoy Him as being present. The body is of Christ, that is, IN Christ. The substance of those things which ceremonies anciently prefigured is presented before our eyes in Christ, inasmuch as He contains in Himself everything that was marked out as future. Observe our advantages under the Gospel, above what they only had under the law, they had shadows, we have the substance.

And slippy, by calling back the ancient ceremonies into use, one is either burying the manifestation of Christ or robbing Christ of His excellence by making Him in a manner void. This is exactly why Paul heeds us caution towards judaizing teachers, or those who would impose upon Christians the yoke of ceremonial law. Paul says do not submit to one who assumes himself in this matter the office of judge, inasmuch as Christ, the only competent Judge, sets us free. Another words, God has made us free, be not entangled in that yoke of bondage.
          Comment>

William, I do not know what you are talking about :) I do read : Let no man therefore judge you. I do understand that no one is to judge me. Then I go on reading in meat, or in drink, or in respect of any Appointed time which is the word used in LXX in Lev 23:2,4 and so on, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days: And I do understand that restricting your eating because of the LORD and keeping or celebrating these Appointed times that Paul here mentions and which are ordained by G-d are the things that a Christian Jewish and Gentile believer in Christ do keep and do celebrate is prohibited by the Apostle Paul. This verse, Col 2:16 is like clear water runnig out of a golden fosset, no doubt what it means or says. There is no point for any one to argue about or over it. This statement is really clear as water (when it is clear :))

Below here is the beginning of Leviticus 23 where Greek translators of that time chose to use terms ἑορταὶ Κυρίου, the appointed feasts of the Lord; ἑορταί μου, my appointed feasts; ἑορταὶ τῷ Κυρίῳ, the appointed feasts of the Lord and so on. Greek word that was chosen by them is used by Paul (or the one who translated the New Covenant Scriptures to Greek, we do not know for sure how it was :)) here - because he is talking about the very same thing, about the very same ἑορταὶ Κυρίου, the appointed feasts of the Lord!

1 The Lord spoke to Moses, saying, 2 “Speak to the people of Israel and say to them, These are the appointed feasts of the Lord that you shall proclaim as holy convocations; they are my appointed feasts. The Sabbath
            3 “Six days shall work be done, but on the seventh day is a Sabbath of solemn rest, a holy convocation. You shall do no work. It is a Sabbath to the Lord in all your dwelling places.
            The Passover
            4 “These are the appointed feasts of the Lord, the holy convocations, which you shall proclaim at the time appointed for them. 5 In the first month, on the fourteenth day of the month at twilight, is the Lord’s Passover. 6 And on the fifteenth day of the same month is the Feast of Unleavened Bread to the Lord; for seven days you shall eat unleavened bread.

ΚΑΙ εἶπε Κύριος πρὸς Μωυσῆν λέγων· 2 λάλησον τοῖς υἱοῖς ᾿Ισραήλ, καὶ ἐρεῖς πρὸς αὐτούς· αἱ ἑορταὶ Κυρίου, ἃς καλέσετε αὐτὰς κλητὰς ἁγίας, αὗταί εἰσιν αἱ ἑορταί μου. 3 ἓξ ἡμέρας ποιήσεις ἔργα, τῇ δὲ ἡμέρᾳ τῇ ἑβδόμῃ σάββατα ἀνάπαυσις κλητὴ ἁγία τῷ Κυρίῳ· πᾶν ἔργον οὐ ποιήσεις, σάββατά ἐστι τῷ Κυρίῳ ἐν πάσῃ κατοικίᾳ ὑμῶν. 4 Αὗται αἱ ἑορταὶ τῷ Κυρίῳ κληταὶ ἅγιαι, ἃς καλέσετε αὐτὰς ἐν τοῖς καιροῖς αὐτῶν. 5 ἐν τῷ πρώτῳ μηνὶ ἐν τῇ τεσσαρεσκαιδεκάτῃ ἡμέρᾳ τοῦ μηνός, ἀνὰ μέσον τῶν ἑσπερινῶν πάσχα τῷ Κυρίῳ. 6 καὶ ἐν τῇ πεντεκαιδεκάτῃ ἡμέρᾳ τοῦ μηνὸς τούτου ἑορταὶ τῷ Κυρίῳ τῷ Κυρίῳ· ἑπτὰ ἡμέρας ἄζυμα ἔδεσθε.

To Romans Paul did write an instruction concerning people weak in the faith who only allows himself to eat the green because this was the status in the beginning for the 1st adam. Then Paul says that the one who believes him being able to eat meat because this was the instruction given to Noah by God should not despise the former one and the green eater to should not judge the one that eats meat, and both of them eat what they eat to the LORD. This is a matter of faith because both mitzvos are given by the one God.

But concerning to the appointed times of G-d that Paul talks about here to the believers in Colossae he can or would not say and says not that you may choose whether you celebrate those or not or whether you celebrate them or not because no other feasts, or ἑορταί heortai, where not given by G-d. And becaus Paul also strictly abondoned all partisipation in idolatry of any kind. We do remember how happyly Paul delivered the message to his beloved gentile Christians from Apostles in Jerusalem. These lines read stay away from meat out of which blood is not poured out or strangled meat from idolatry and idols and from adultery. How could he have changed his views or beliefs during time spent with these beloved gentile Christians.

One may state that the word ἑορτή is used also in numerous other non-Christian writings of both Paul's and earlier times. Yes, but Paul is talking about Christian eating, drinking and Christian festivals to Christians and not about a Greek way of offering meat and drink or idolatring in there festivals to their G-ds.

Well, no one said that we should offer meat or drink in a Temple. How could we. There is no Temple and the sacrifice pure is no more nowhere to be offered. This is said in Hebrews although many earlier Christians did not even want to have it or Revelation or 2 Peter or 2 John or 3 John in the New Covenant Scriptures. Any way we have'm now canonized.

At Paul's time they only had his words, these lines that he wrote to them and of course the Torah. That was their Bible that they relied on.

How could Paul state "our Pascal lamb is offered, Yeshua haMashiach" or " ye are the unleavened bread" if he had tossed the whole festival thing out of the window. No he did not throw them out, he inculded Yeshua and himself in them. 1 Cor 5:7,8. We see it clearly here that Paul did celebrate Passover, פסח, in the ancient manner including Passover meal on the 14th of Nissan and continuing with the feast of unleavened bread from the 15th on as G-d had commanded him to do from ancient times. He even says here to his fellow "partiers" Therefore let us keep the Festival! What festival? Pesach! And the feast of unleavened bread after it! And he continues let us not keep Pesach in wickedness but by being pure as an unleavened bread is pure and without (1 Cor 5:6) the yeast of bosting that destroys the whole dough.

This must be enough :)

And happy await for Pesach!
            Comment>

William, I do not know what you are talking about :)
              Obviously, I am talking about the provided Scripture in relation to the OP which having totally ignored. I'm not going to bounce away from the OP so you can demonstrate an advantage of having a Hebrew native tongue which is non-relevant to the discussion. I find it a waste of time and hardly an advantage reading any attempts to translate English into Hebrew back into English when we already have what we consider better translations by better translators.

All those errors in your post are from copying and pasting from whatever source. The post was at the time of writing this just about unreadable. Please fix them or refrain from copying and pasting.
              Comment>

Easter or Passover? If Easter is a Roman catholic festival, no. If Passover means the Biblical feast, yes.

There is one temple now, the Christians. 1 Cor 6:19 and 20 says Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own. Therefore honor God with your bodies. And this Temple is Christ's body. These Biblical festivals in Col 2:16 are a shadow of things to come, but the body is Christ. So even for you they are a shadow, not put away, not fulfilled but something to wait for. Body is Christ and this body celebrates and serves G-d with joy when celebrating his Pesach, Passover, at 14th of Nissan - in a month - while having a Passover meal together, thanking G-d for Yeshua our Passover Lamb as Paul said - and celebrating Passover in purity as Paul said which means to be unleavened bread for G-d. So believers who are this Temple and body of Christ may rejoice and celebrate the Biblical Passover with Paul in Heavens and with living brothers on earth because, Paul: "Our Passover, Christ is offered, so let us keep this Passover festival with purity in sincerity and in truth."

No more comments.
                Comment>

1 Cor 6:19 and 20 says Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own. Therefore honor God with your bodies. And this Temple is Christ's body. These Biblical festivals in Col 2:16 are a shadow of things to come, but the body is Christ. So even for you they are a shadow, not put away, not fulfilled but something to wait for.
                  This would be a horrible view of the Christian sacrament. Paul contrasts the shadow with the solidity of the body. Why would anyone take hold of empty shadows when it is in their power to handle solid substance? Our Communion, our Sacrament represents Christ as absent in view and distance, in part, but not as to unbelief which Slippy suggests, but more so that He has been once manifested, and now also present. Jesus Christ to us is to be enjoyed. Therefore, the sacrament does not bare shadows but contrary symbols of Christ's presence, because they contain that Yes and Amen of all the promises of God 2 Corinthians 1:20, which has been manifested to us in Christ Jesus. That is, rather than something "not fulfilled but to wait for".
                  Comment>

Greek word that was chosen by them is used by Paul (or the one who translated the New Covenant Scriptures to Greek, we do not know for sure how it was)
                    Hold up. Clarification needed. Are you saying that the N.T. was written in Hebrew\Aramaic first and then someone translated it into Greek?
                    Comment>

Originally posted by motirattan View Post
                      Should I celebrate Easter or Passover to celebrate the true event of Jesus's crucifixion?
                      At the Last Supper Jesus told his disciples how to observe the true meaning of his crucifxion.
                      Now as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and after blessing it broke it and gave it to the disciples, and said, “Take, eat; this is my body.”

And he took a cup, and when he had given thanks he gave it to them, saying, “Drink of it, all of you, for this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins. I tell you I will not drink again of this fruit of the vine until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father's kingdom.”
                      (Matthew 26:26-29 ESV)

The practice known as Communion or the Lord's Supper is the God given replacement for the Passover. The Observance of Easter is neither commanded nor forbidden in the Bible; each believer is free to follow it or abstain, whichever he thinks will bring more glory to Christ. I observe the day because I feel that failure to do so could be interpreted by others as saying I don't believe in the resurrection.

Clyde Herrin's Blog
                      Comment>

Originally posted by theophilus View Post
                        The practice known as Communion or the Lord's Supper is the God given replacement for the Passover. The Observance of Easter is neither commanded nor forbidden in the Bible; each believer is free to follow it or abstain, whichever he thinks will bring more glory to Christ. I observe the day because I feel that failure to do so could be interpreted by others as saying I don't believe in the resurrection.
                        Hi theophilus, can you please tell me on which date and from which period this day fall in this year.
                        Comment>

Hi theophilus, can you please tell me on which date and from which period this day fall in this year.
                          Easter is tomorrow, March 27.
                          Clyde Herrin's Blog
                          Comment>

About the date of passover from the time of the Apostles to 325 AD. Eusebius from Cesarea writes in his Church history that the twofolded manner arose on a problematic level probably first at the end of the second century and 2 times after that. In Asia minor bishops kept the 14th of Nissan because the Apostles John and Philip had done so. In Rome they had constructed their own date.
                            Eusebius writes that the council of Nicaea was then called to agree that the Roman way was the manner of the Church because as the leader of the council, emperor Constantine, said there is no way that we would have this salutary feast at the same time as those disputed most horrible people, the Jews, that killed our Saviour.
                            He gave then sanctions for those who did not bind themselves and their parishes to that in Rome given command.
                            This means that Christians either obey God or bind themselves and take the yoke of the Roman emperor.
                            Last edited by slippy; 03-26-2016, 07:41 PM.
                            Comment>

Why we celebrate Easter instead of Passover, the true event regarding the crucifixion of our Lord. Jesus died on Passover day
                              Jesus died the day before Passover. The Mosaic holidays involve animal sacrifice and otherwise fail to recognize that that Jesus has fulfilled the law, which is why Christians don't celebrate them. To celebrate them is to implicitly deny Christ.

Easter has a Christian origin, the resurrection of Christ. Christians celebrate Easter, not out of legal obligation, but out of joy.
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap