Adult 1st baptism

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adult 1st baptism

Some parents do not have their children baptized, for whatever reason, and wait for them to come to their own understanding about Christianity and religion. Then as adults they can decide for themselves about baptism. What do Christians think about this way of doing things?

I'm a 'cessationist' and believe that Baptism by sprinkling or immersion no longer to have relevance ..... I understand that Acts 28 Dispensationalists think likewise.
    Comment>

Originally posted by cluckeyo View Post
      Some parents do not have their children baptized, for whatever reason, and wait for them to come to their own understanding about Christianity and religion. Then as adults they can decide for themselves about baptism. What do Christians think about this way of doing things?
      Hi Cluckeyo, the only parents that I'm aware of who don't have their kids baptized as infants are those who attend churches that hold to "Believer's Baptism" only (i.e Baptist, Anabaptist, Pentecostal, Churches of Christ, Evangelical). However, non-traditional churches such as these typically "dedicate" their children to God and promise to raise them in the discipline and instruction of the Lord (Ephesians 6:4), leaving their children's' "baptisms" to be something they choose to do in faith once they become believers.

This was not the typical opinion or practice of the early church however.

Yours and His,
      David
      Simul Justus et Peccator ~Martin Luther

"We are justified by faith alone, but the faith that justifies is never alone" ~John Calvin

"The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us." ~C. S. Lewis

"The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances" ~Elisabeth Elliot

"The law is for the self-righteous to humble their pride; the Gospel is for the lost to remove their despair. ~C. H. Spurgeon
      Comment>

Originally posted by St_Worm2 View Post
        non-traditional churches
        I agree with your summation. A minor suggestion as I just wouldn't call the "other" churches "traditional" but mainly comprised of Covenant churches....

God bless,
        William
        Comment>

Some parents don't subscribe to their children being baptized at a tender age because they believe that it should be possible when the child is able to fully understand the magnitude of commitment that should accompany this deed. There are many other circumstances in which a child may reach a certain stage in life to be allowed to be involved, therefore, this lead some people to believe that in any case, a similar state of progression should apply.There is this ongoing debate about a second baptism if a person should backslide. Some views are that once it's done then it's binding and should not have to be redone, while others believe that once the person has fallen from grace, the baptism is null and void and would have to be reconstituted. This controversy may also be one of the reasons why some parents would prefer that their children are fully cognisant of the responsible that comes with being baptized in order to avoid a situation getting into the stage of whether or not to be, or not to be baptized once more.
          Comment>

Last edited by birdfriend; 04-28-2017, 07:54 AM. Reason: leaving due to closure
            Comment>
            Working...
            X
            Articles - News - SiteMap