Apologetics may be simply defined as the defense of the Christian faith. The word "apologetics" derives from the Greek word apologia, which was originally used as a speech of defense.

Should The Lord's Commands Be Actually Followed?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Should The Lord's Commands Be Actually Followed?

    Jesus gave many clear commands recorded in Scripture. Which ones are necessary to follow, and which ones are just more like advice, or nice to know information?

    I doubt any person, not even a student of Scripture, can even recall from memory half of Jesus' Commands. That means it does not matter how they would answer this question, they refuse to follow Jesus' Commands. Try to remember Jesus never said anything about "trying our best" to follow His Commands.

  • #2
    The Holy Spirit will always have a child of God obey God’s Commandment.
    One does not need to study the written Word of God to know what Jesus’ commandments are.

    (1 John 2: 27) “But you have not lost the anointing that he gave you, and you do not need anyone to teach you; the anointing he gave teaches you everything: you are anointed with truth, not with a lie, and as it has taught you, so you must stay in him.”
    Comment>

    • #3
      Originally posted by Jackson View Post
      Jesus gave many clear commands recorded in Scripture. Which ones are necessary to follow, and which ones are just more like advice, or nice to know information?

      I doubt any person, not even a student of Scripture, can even recall from memory half of Jesus' Commands. That means it does not matter how they would answer this question, they refuse to follow Jesus' Commands. Try to remember Jesus never said anything about "trying our best" to follow His Commands.
      Hi Jackson,

      Welcome to the forums.

      John 14:15 says, "If you love Me, keep my commandments". A Christian who is not obeying Christ’s commands can rightly be asked, “Why do you call me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ and do not do what I say?” - Luke 6:46.

      God bless,
      William
      Comment>

      • #4
        Originally posted by Jackson View Post

        I doubt any person, not even a student of Scripture, can even recall from memory half of Jesus' Commands.
        Why do you say that? There are people who have memorized all those red words of Christ. Any Christian leader should be very familiar with everything Jesus said. And, every child of God should know of of Christ's commands by instinct.
        Comment>

        • #5
          Originally posted by William View Post

          Hi Jackson,

          Welcome to the forums.

          John 14:15 says, "If you love Me, keep my commandments". A Christian who is not obeying Christ’s commands can rightly be asked, “Why do you call me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ and do not do what I say?” - Luke 6:46.

          God bless,
          William
          Do you keep the Lord's Commands?
          Comment>

          • #6
            Originally posted by Cornelius View Post

            Why do you say that? There are people who have memorized all those red words of Christ. Any Christian leader should be very familiar with everything Jesus said. And, every child of God should know of of Christ's commands by instinct.
            Have you memorized Christ's Commands?
            Comment>

            • #7
              Originally posted by Jackson View Post

              Do you keep the Lord's Commands?
              The Regenerate heart my friend will wish to keep the commands of the Lord.

              Just to clarify, are you asking whether I plainly ignore or take an ignorant position concerning the Lord's commands? If so, lemme suggest, James 2:10 - "For whoever keeps the whole law but fails in one point has become accountable for all of it.".

              The two greatest Commands set by our Lord Jesus Christ are: Matt. 22:37 and Matt. 22:39.

              These commands seem to be impossible to obey. That’s because, in the natural state of man (unregenerate), it is impossible. There is no greater evidence of the inability of man to obey God’s Law than these commandments. No human being with a fallen nature can possibly love God with all his heart, soul, and strength 24 hours a day. It’s humanly impossible. But to disobey any commandment of God is sin.

              These commands are also found in Deuteronomy 6:5 and Leviticus 19:18. - These are known as the Shema, taken from the first word “hear” in Hebrew. Modern Jews consider the recital of the Shema both evening and morning to be one of their most sacred duties. It was cited by Jesus as the “greatest commandment in the Law” Matthew 22:36–37.

              I cannot even love my enemy or neighbor perfectly, I am a sinner, and there's nothing I can do that will be good enough before God - Rom. 3:10-12; 6:23.

              If there were anything that I could do that is considered good enough or righteous before the Lord, then Jesus didn't need to die. But Jesus who is God in flesh John 1:1, 14 died on the cross, was buried, and rose from the dead (1Corinthians 15:1-4). That is the Gospel message. By trusting in Christ and believing in the Gospel, we are declared right before God by faith Romans 4:1-5; 5:1; Ephesians 2:8-9). In other words, when we receive Christ by faith John 1:12, the righteousness of God is given to us Philippians 3:9. This is called justification. Justification is a legal standing before God. It means that the one who has trusted in Christ by faith is now declared legally righteous according to the law. Since the law includes loving God and loving our neighbors, those parts of the law must be fulfilled perfectly. It was Jesus who fulfilled the law without failure.

              On a different note, some of these discussions fail to differentiate between the unregenerate and regenerate believers. Ezekiel 36:25-27 says,

              25 I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you shall be clean from all your uncleannesses, and from all your idols I will cleanse you. 26 And I will give you a new heart, and a new spirit I will put within you. And I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh. 27 And I will put my Spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes and be careful to obey my rules.[a]
              Be careful to obey my rules. The sanctifying influences of the Holy Spirit are always connected with the atoning blood of Christ. You shall keep my judgments. If God will do his part according to the promise, we must do ours according to the precept. Further note, the promise of God's grace to enable us for our duty should engage and quicken our constant care and endeavour to do our duty.

              Just to clarify, John 14:15 - Christ will not be an advocate for any but those that will be ruled and advised by him as their counsel. Follow the conduct of the Spirit, and you shall have the comfort of the Spirit.

              God bless,
              William
              Comment>

              • #8
                Originally posted by JohnLove View Post
                The Holy Spirit will always have a child of God obey God’s Commandment.
                One does not need to study the written Word of God to know what Jesus’ commandments are.

                (1 John 2: 27) “But you have not lost the anointing that he gave you, and you do not need anyone to teach you; the anointing he gave teaches you everything: you are anointed with truth, not with a lie, and as it has taught you, so you must stay in him.”
                Do you follow all of Jesus' Commands?
                Comment>

                • #9
                  Read all of Romans 8. Nothing shall separate believers from God. William has it nailed down pretty well. Also, Check out John 6. These are loaded with how we struggle against sin, yet the Holy Spirit corrects us and we can't lose our salvation for any reason. This means we do sin, but the Holy Spirit corrects us. It is those who don't have the Holy Spirit who refuse to agree with the Scriptures' teachings. The Scriptures are used for correction, which means we believers sin, and must be corrected by the Scriptures for the Scriptures to be used to correct us as believers. We can't even count all God's blessings, and we expect that we can count all the times we sin? Or claim we do not sin? Of course we all sin. Jesus died for all sin, past, present and future, and John L, rightly divide the word of truth. I do not take sin lightly at all, but we all are still in a corruptible state in the flesh. It is in the next life we are made incorruptible, or Paul wouldn't have written it.
                  Comment>

                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Jackson View Post

                    Have you memorized Christ's Commands?

                    Yes, just not word-for-word in the Greek.
                    Comment>

                    • #11
                      Originally posted by William View Post

                      The Regenerate heart my friend will wish to keep the commands of the Lord.

                      Just to clarify, are you asking whether I plainly ignore or take an ignorant position concerning the Lord's commands? If so, lemme suggest, James 2:10 - "For whoever keeps the whole law but fails in one point has become accountable for all of it.".

                      The two greatest Commands set by our Lord Jesus Christ are: Matt. 22:37 and Matt. 22:39.

                      These commands seem to be impossible to obey. That’s because, in the natural state of man (unregenerate), it is impossible. There is no greater evidence of the inability of man to obey God’s Law than these commandments. No human being with a fallen nature can possibly love God with all his heart, soul, and strength 24 hours a day. It’s humanly impossible. But to disobey any commandment of God is sin.

                      These commands are also found in Deuteronomy 6:5 and Leviticus 19:18. - These are known as the Shema, taken from the first word “hear” in Hebrew. Modern Jews consider the recital of the Shema both evening and morning to be one of their most sacred duties. It was cited by Jesus as the “greatest commandment in the Law” Matthew 22:36–37.

                      I cannot even love my enemy or neighbor perfectly, I am a sinner, and there's nothing I can do that will be good enough before God - Rom. 3:10-12; 6:23.

                      If there were anything that I could do that is considered good enough or righteous before the Lord, then Jesus didn't need to die. But Jesus who is God in flesh John 1:1, 14 died on the cross, was buried, and rose from the dead (1Corinthians 15:1-4). That is the Gospel message. By trusting in Christ and believing in the Gospel, we are declared right before God by faith Romans 4:1-5; 5:1; Ephesians 2:8-9). In other words, when we receive Christ by faith John 1:12, the righteousness of God is given to us Philippians 3:9. This is called justification. Justification is a legal standing before God. It means that the one who has trusted in Christ by faith is now declared legally righteous according to the law. Since the law includes loving God and loving our neighbors, those parts of the law must be fulfilled perfectly. It was Jesus who fulfilled the law without failure.

                      On a different note, some of these discussions fail to differentiate between the unregenerate and regenerate believers. Ezekiel 36:25-27 says,



                      Be careful to obey my rules. The sanctifying influences of the Holy Spirit are always connected with the atoning blood of Christ. You shall keep my judgments. If God will do his part according to the promise, we must do ours according to the precept. Further note, the promise of God's grace to enable us for our duty should engage and quicken our constant care and endeavour to do our duty.

                      Just to clarify, John 14:15 - Christ will not be an advocate for any but those that will be ruled and advised by him as their counsel. Follow the conduct of the Spirit, and you shall have the comfort of the Spirit.

                      God bless,
                      William
                      Do you always hear and follow the conduct of The Holy Spirit?

                      Note that Jesus never said "The Holy Spirit Would Always Have A Christian Follow Jesus' Commands." As well, Jesus never said people should "Walk in the Light as He is in the Light." John wrote that as a derived conclusion from his understanding of Jesus. If obedience to Jesus happens through The Indwelling Holy Spirit. Is there ever a reason why The Holy Spirit would not remind you of all of Jesus' Commands every day?
                      Comment>

                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Cornelius View Post


                        Yes, just not word-for-word in the Greek.
                        Since you do know all of them, do you obey them?
                        Comment>

                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Stratcat View Post
                          Read all of Romans 8. Nothing shall separate believers from God. William has it nailed down pretty well. Also, Check out John 6. These are loaded with how we struggle against sin, yet the Holy Spirit corrects us and we can't lose our salvation for any reason. This means we do sin, but the Holy Spirit corrects us. It is those who don't have the Holy Spirit who refuse to agree with the Scriptures' teachings. The Scriptures are used for correction, which means we believers sin, and must be corrected by the Scriptures for the Scriptures to be used to correct us as believers. We can't even count all God's blessings, and we expect that we can count all the times we sin? Or claim we do not sin? Of course we all sin. Jesus died for all sin, past, present and future, and John L, rightly divide the word of truth. I do not take sin lightly at all, but we all are still in a corruptible state in the flesh. It is in the next life we are made incorruptible, or Paul wouldn't have written it.
                          This Thread is not about correction from God. Do you consciously obey Jesus' Commands, or not?
                          Comment>

                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Jackson View Post

                            Do you always hear and follow the conduct of The Holy Spirit?

                            Note that Jesus never said "The Holy Spirit Would Always Have A Christian Follow Jesus' Commands." As well, Jesus never said people should "Walk in the Light as He is in the Light." John wrote that as a derived conclusion from his understanding of Jesus. If obedience to Jesus happens through The Indwelling Holy Spirit. Is there ever a reason why The Holy Spirit would not remind you of all of Jesus' Commands every day?
                            I can't think of any besides being caught up in the World.

                            Psalm 1:1-2

                            Blessed is the man[a]
                            who walks not in the counsel of the wicked,
                            nor stands in the way of sinners,
                            nor sits in the seat of scoffers;
                            2 but his delight is in the law[b] of the Lord,
                            and on his law he meditates day and night.
                            Just curious Jackson, why are you asking?

                            God bless,
                            William
                            Comment>

                            • #15
                              Originally posted by William View Post

                              I can't think of any besides being caught up in the World.



                              Just curious Jackson, why are you asking?

                              God bless,
                              William
                              I am asking to see what the answers would be in here. After reading yours, it appears you do not know if you obey Jesus' Commands in reality. Is that true?
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap