Apologetics may be simply defined as the defense of the Christian faith. The word "apologetics" derives from the Greek word apologia, which was originally used as a speech of defense.

Is it Godlier to be poor or to be rich?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How should we place money in our life? So that we don't go astray from the word of God?
    The Beatitudes support this concept: “Blessed are the poor, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.” Does this mean that us Christians should be material poor here on earth?
    Does God speak to the wealthy any different? I have been thinking alot in these lines lately! I would wish to get you thoughts on this.

Neither. To be Godly is to confess Jesus as Savior. Once one has done that, a Spiritual Pathway is opened for the Believer. Living right now you do not wonder about things you can do or need to do. The Holy Spirit within provides all the guidance you need. The only way that guidance can be interrupted is for you to dwell on earthly things. Your Spiritual Nature is there to repel attacks from your old sinful nature. Be blessed as you immerse yourself in God's Word, walking in His Amazing Grace.
    Comment>

Originally posted by bomb2060 View Post
      “Blessed are the poor, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.”
      Here is that verse in Matthew's gospel: Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Jesus wasn't talking about material wealth at all. Whether we are rich or poor is irrelevant in our relationship with God. If God gives us wealth we have a responsibility to use it for his glory.
      Clyde Herrin's Blog
      Comment>

It's the Love of money that is the root of all evil. What is our priority in life? What do we do with the money we Do have? Some people Seem to be Godlier when they don't have much money. Have them buy a lottery ticket with some of the" little bit of money" and Win a Lot and see what they do with their winnings.

Yes, whatever we do in word or deed , do All to the glory of God. Good words to live by.
        Comment>

Phillipians 4:10-20 NASB
          10 But I rejoiced in the Lord greatly, that now at last you have revived your concern for me; indeed, you were concerned before, but you lacked opportunity. 11 Not that I speak [fn]from want, for I have learned to be [fn]content in whatever circumstances I am. 12 I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need. 13 I can do all things [fn]through Him who strengthens me. 14 Nevertheless, you have done well to share with me in my affliction.
          15 You yourselves also know, Philippians, that at the [fn]first preaching of the gospel, after I left Macedonia, no church shared with me in the matter of giving and receiving but you alone; 16 for even in Thessalonica you sent a gift more than once for my needs. 17 Not that I seek the gift itself, but I seek for the [fn]profit which increases to your account. 18 But I have received everything in full and have an abundance; I am [fn]amply supplied, having received from Epaphroditus [fn]what you have sent, [fn]a fragrant aroma, an acceptable sacrifice, well-pleasing to God. 19 And my God will supply [fn]all your needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus. 20 Now to our God and Father be the glory [fn]forever and ever. Amen.

I think rich and poor is less important than our attitude.
          TRUST, CONTENTMENT, and GRATITUDE are of greater importance than Rich or Poor.
          The Poor have more opportunity to learn to trust and must struggle with gratitude.
          The Rich have more opportunity for gratitude but must struggle to trust in God rather than their own resources.
          Contentment is a struggle for all to learn. As the old secular song says ... "Poor man wants to be rich, rich man wants to be king".
          Comment>

Originally posted by bomb2060 View Post
            How should we place money in our life? So that we don't go astray from the word of God?
            The Beatitudes support this concept: “Blessed are the poor, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.” Does this mean that us Christians should be material poor here on earth?
            Does God speak to the wealthy any different? I have been thinking alot in these lines lately! I would wish to get you thoughts on this.
            It's better to be poor. Even to the rich young man in Matthew who followed the 10 commandments, Jesus told him to sell all he had to give to the poor and to follow him. Of course there will be many older folk Christians with good sums of retirement funds that tremble at the thought of losing them; let alone giving it away. Even the poorest of America are typically rich in comparison to more than half of the world's population. The rich want a piece of their heavenly inheritance early on this Earth, and by doing so display that they do not truly believe in heaven after all.

I would say that even a penny desired all to oneself is a penny wanted separate from God. There is no compromise between the world and God; a single bite from the fruit in the Garden killed all mankind.
            Comment>

Originally posted by Trist View Post
              It's better to be poor. Even to the rich young man in Matthew who followed the 10 commandments, Jesus told him to sell all he had to give to the poor and to follow him.
              His response to what Jesus told him shows that he loved money more than God. Of course he would have to give up his money if he wanted to follow God. Someone who was equally rich but didn't love money as he did could be allowed to keep his money and use it for God's glory. Each of us is prone to different sins and so God has to deal with each of us differently.
              Clyde Herrin's Blog
              Comment>

Again -- it's the person's attitude Towards money that make the difference. My husband and I are retired and recently inherited a large sum of money. We've always lived in a very modest way. We raised 4 kids on next to nothing. A one-income family. Not popular then or now.

People with a good large income give to God's work just as faithfully as those with not very much. We're not trembling at the thought of loosing our money.

And there are families with family businesses -- they put in lots of hard , long hours to get where they are. Do they wring their hands in concern? That's between themselves and God.

In fact -- one family we knew -- started an electrical business in their garage and gradually it grew and prospered -- then their customers started having financial set backs and it put them out of business. They simply reverted back to their garage-sized business.

Comment>

Neither poverty nor riches can make one Godly. In fact, poverty is generally detrimental to body, soul, and spirit. But we have the examples of Abraham, Job, Joseph in Egypt, Joseph of Arimathea, and Joses Barnabbas, who were wealthy and Godly and did good with their wealth. So wealth can be applied to Godly purposes if one chooses to put God above wealth. However, covetousness is idolatry, therefore the LOVE OF MONEY is the root of all evil.
                  Comment>

There is nothing wrong about being rich as long as you are thanking God with your blessings and God is still your number one priority. There is nothing wrong about being wealthy as long as you got your money from a clean and moral way. God do want us to pray but we should not not pray alone. We still need to work hard. Helping charities is also one of the best way to be rich and still be Godly. Just because love of money is the source of all evil, it doesn't mean money is evil. Churches are built by money and evangelism is funded by money. It is possible to rich but not sinful.
                    Comment>

Originally posted by Sparky View Post
                      There is nothing wrong about being rich as long as you are thanking God with your blessings and God is still your number one priority. There is nothing wrong about being wealthy as long as you got your money from a clean and moral way. God do want us to pray but we should not not pray alone. We still need to work hard. Helping charities is also one of the best way to be rich and still be Godly. Just because love of money is the source of all evil, it doesn't mean money is evil. Churches are built by money and evangelism is funded by money. It is possible to rich but not sinful.
                      This reminds me of a quote: "Pray for rain, but plow your field."

As a farmer, you really need God to send the spring rain if your seeds are going to grow into a crop to harvest and feed your family and pay your bills. A drought is a serious thing. However, when you pray for rain, do you REALLY believe that God will send the rain? Do you honestly believe that your prayer has been heard and will be answered? There is a simple test. If you KNEW that it was going to rain in 3 days, you would be working like crazy to plow your fields and get them ready for when that rain started. If you are waiting for the rain to start before you plow your field, then it is too late. So an unplowed field indicates that whatever your 'lips' say, you don't really think that the rain is coming.

So do what you would do to get ready so that when God does provide, you are ready to recieve. Why should God send rain on an unplowed field? It will just run off and be wasted.
                      I think it was George Müller ...
                      "The children are dressed and ready for school. But there is no food for them to eat," the housemother of the orphanage informed George Mueller. George asked her to take the 300 children into the dining room and have them sit at the tables. He thanked God for the food and waited. George knew God would provide food for the children as he always did. Within minutes, a baker knocked on the door. "Mr. Mueller," he said, "last night I could not sleep. Somehow I knew that you would need bread this morning. I got up and baked three batches for you. I will bring it in."

Soon, there was another knock at the door. It was the milkman. His cart had broken down in front of the orphanage. The milk would spoil by the time the wheel was fixed. He asked George if he could use some free milk. George smiled as the milkman brought in ten large cans of milk. It was just enough for the 300 thirsty children.
                      Comment>
                      Working...
                      X
                      Articles - News - SiteMap