Apologetics may be simply defined as the defense of the Christian faith. The word "apologetics" derives from the Greek word apologia, which was originally used as a speech of defense.

Apologist Ravi Zacharias Answers Questions re: God, Morality, Good and Evil

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apologist Ravi Zacharias Answers Questions re: God, Morality, Good and Evil

Ravi Zacharias effectively, efficiently and eloquently answers the question, "If God is good and all-powerful, why is there evil in the world?"

As Zacharias points out, the Atheist is asking the wrong question. In fact, within the framework of Atheism, it isn't even a rational question he is asking.

Having read and listened to most of the arguments of atheists, I was rather disappointed with Mr. Zacharias' argument. I was expecting something more profound. Atheists consider humans, not God, to be the moral law givers and they think that morality is a result of evolution, therefore the question of "why does evil exist?" does not self-destruct, as he claims.
    Comment>

Atheism isn't a biblical concept. Romans 1 is pretty clear that all men know there is a God but suppress the truth, therefore they are unbelievers.

And morality from evolution? Never really paid attention to it. But that explains why sodomy, murder (abortion), and even theft are considered moral today. We're evolving.....

Just curious can you explain morality in purely secular terms? Where does the "transcendental voice" come from? For example, if I see a guy drowning in the river that weighs 400 pounds. I weigh 150 pounds. Every instinct, from a Darwinian perspective goes against saving him because of the risk to my life. Where does the voice that says to save him come from and what is that Darwinian foundation? We all know that we as humans are moral creatures that have moral standards that we ourselves did not create. For example, we tend embrace a natural standard which we can obtain or surpass (eat, reproduce, etc), why create standards which we cannot live up to?

In my opinion, the new "atheist" want to kill God but keep Christian morality. Fact is, atheism rests on a Christian pedestal. If we look at what is important to atheist like equal rights, the abolishing of slavery, caring for others etc they began from a Christian origin. If you remove God from the equation the atheist actually lowers from the pedestal to the beast of the field.

There are two evolutionary basis for morality that I know of. The shared gene, for example, the mother that jumps in the burning car that saves her infant. She tries to save her offspring to ensure her genes will progress to the next generation. What she is doing is not morality. The other motive, reciprocal altruism which can be summed up as "you be nice to me and I'll be nice to you". In other words, the business owner is not nice because he is selfless but because he wants the guy or customer to come back again. His interest are self interested. These two examples can account for about 5% of morality. Even Richard Dawkins says there is no evolutionary basis for altruism.

And on the topic of evil, natural or otherwise, have you ever seen a lion want to wipe out the entire antelope population? No, evil is constrained, the lion has its self interest and hunts enough to feed himself. No other creature attempts to wipe out an entire population as humans do. What is the evolutionary reason for that? What about the gorilla that invades the territory of another, beats it over the head until bloody and dead and then takes the female and rapes it. You can view these things on the Nature Channel, but why would it be immoral for humans if purely evolutionary law entails reproduction? What differentiates a beast from a human? Again, what is the evolutionary proof?
      • Isaiah 45:7 I form light and create darkness; I make well-being and create calamity; I am the LORD, who does all these things.

For us, it is easy, God is the Author of all that is true, holy, good, or happy; and evil, error, and misery

God bless,
      William
      Comment>

Originally posted by Lucian Hodoboc View Post
        Having read and listened to most of the arguments of atheists, I was rather disappointed with Mr. Zacharias' argument. I was expecting something more profound. Atheists consider humans, not God, to be the moral law givers and they think that morality is a result of evolution, therefore the question of "why does evil exist?" does not self-destruct, as he claims.
        It seems you missed his point. If evolution were true there would be no origin from which a moral-law could come. We would be nothing more than animals in a field. The fact that we have a moral-law suggests there is an origin, that being God.
        Comment>

Originally posted by Knotical View Post
          It seems you missed his point. If evolution were true there would be no origin from which a moral-law could come. We would be nothing more than animals in a field. The fact that we have a moral-law suggests there is an origin, that being God.
          Wikipedia defines "evolution" as: Evolution is change in the heritable characteristics of biological populations over successive generations.

The heritable characteristics affect the brain too, and atheists consider that morality is just a byproduct of chemical and electrical activity in various parts of the brain, which it is partially true considering the discrepancy between many customs of various nations throughout history.

The moral law is basically funded on principles such as: "I don't like this thing and you don't like this thing, so let's not do this specific thing to each other as a means of maintaining a peaceful atmosphere." Individuals of the same species, having developed a means of communication, made compromises in order to survive, and these compromises eventually evolved into a list of laws that later on advanced humans defined as "morality".
          Comment>

Wikipedia defines "evolution" as: Evolution is change in the heritable characteristics of biological populations over successive generations.

The heritable characteristics affect the brain too, and atheists consider that morality is just a byproduct of chemical and electrical activity in various parts of the brain, which it is partially true considering the discrepancy between many customs of various nations throughout history.

The moral law is basically funded on principles such as: "I don't like this thing and you don't like this thing, so let's not do this specific thing to each other as a means of maintaining a peaceful atmosphere." Individuals of the same species, having developed a means of communication, made compromises in order to survive, and these compromises eventually evolved into a list of laws that later on advanced humans defined as "morality".
            That is the secular view of moral-law, which is completely false, as it was something that was made up in order to not have to buy into the Truth that the actual moral-law comes from God. Another attempt by atheists to disprove God, and to take Him out of the world and diminish the importance of what He did. Evolution is an unproven theory that is constantly being adjusted and changed to match whatever political agenda those who want to squash the idea of sin are currently pushing.

As Christians we should completely dismiss the idea of evolution and recognize where the moral-law actually comes from.
            Comment>

Right, morality is merely the result of atomic motion in the brain obeying the fixed laws of chemistry. More laws... .

God bless,
              William
              Comment>
              Working...
              X
              Articles - News - SiteMap