Apologetics may be simply defined as the defense of the Christian faith. The word "apologetics" derives from the Greek word apologia, which was originally used as a speech of defense.

Muhammad and Jesus Contrasted

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Muhammad and Jesus Contrasted

    Have you noticed that whenever there is a terrorist attack that certain people rush to the defense of Islam saying "Well there are extremists in Christianity too" No doubt there are professing Christians who have committed despicable and inexcusable acts but it really misses the point entirely. There is something intrinsic to teaching in the Quran and early Islamic history that is somehow being missed in these online discussions.

    Muhammad directly taught, in many circumstances, that we ought to kill or subjugate our enemies (e.g.. Surah 9). Christ by example taught we ought to die for our enemies and liberate them ... It is recorded in history that Mohammed had murdered dozens of his enemies by the time of his death. Jesus, having killed no one, died to reconcile his enemies to himself, calling us to love our enemies and turn the other cheek when we are persecuted by them. Following these teachings, the first 500 years of Islam was a story of bloody conquest. The first few hundred years of the church was one of weakness and severe persecution for the followers of Christ, not conquest. So we can see that the teaching of the two heads of these faiths could not be more sharply contrasted. One leader in many circumstances gives justification to sacrifice others, the other only justification to sacrifice self for others.

    This is certainly not to deny that there have been professing Christians in history who have murdered others. There have been. But, if they read their bibles, they knew they were acting in disobedience to their Lord. (Christians are capable of sin like anyone else). But those Muslims who kill can appeal to a wide variety of Muhammad's teaching to justify murder. So the media portraying groups like ISIS as not true Muslims is a clear distortion of the truth. Certainly they do not represent all Muslims but they're not teaching anything much different from the founder of their faith.

    Source: Muhammad and Jesus Contrasted | Monergism

  • #2
    Aren't we forgetting the massacres made by God's chosen people in The Old Testament, which Jesus did not condemn whatsoever, nor did He say He came to abolish?
    Comment>

    • #3
      Originally posted by Lucian Hodoboc View Post
      Aren't we forgetting the massacres made by God's chosen people in The Old Testament, which Jesus did not condemn whatsoever, nor did He say He came to abolish?
      The inhabitants of the land God gave to Israel had sunk so far in sin that God commanded that they all be killed. God chose to use the Israelites to carry out his judgment. They could still avoid this penalty if they repented and turned to serving the true God. The experience of Rahab proves this. The Israelites often failed to carry out God's command and allowed the people to live, and they were frequently led into idolatry by the influence of these people.

      God has never commanded Christians to destroy their enemies. We are commanded to love them and preach the gospel to them.
      Clyde Herrin's Blog
      Comment>

      • #4
        Originally posted by theophilus

        The inhabitants of the land God gave to Israel had sunk so far in sin that God commanded that they all be killed. God chose to use the Israelites to carry out his judgment. They could still avoid this penalty if they repented and turned to serving the true God. The experience of Rahab proves this. The Israelites often failed to carry out God's command and allowed the people to live, and they were frequently led into idolatry by the influence of these people.

        God has never commanded Christians to destroy their enemies. We are commanded to love them and preach the gospel to them.
        Matthew 5:44-45

        Romans 10:14-15
        Comment>

        • #5
          Originally posted by theophilus View Post
          The inhabitants of the land God gave to Israel had sunk so far in sin that God commanded that they all be killed.
          Well, that's pretty much how Muhammad felt about the people he ordered to be killed. He thought that the inhabitants of the lands around had sunk so far in sin, according to what he believe was the real God (Allah), that he ordered their execution. Unlike the Israelites, Muhammad seems to have been more merciful as he did not order complete genocide. He allowed non-Muslims to live as long as they paid a tax to Muslims and declared themselves as inferiors.

          I'm not claiming that he was right, but from a moral standpoint, his views are just as justifiable as the Israelites'.
          Comment>

          • #6
            Originally posted by Lucian Hodoboc View Post
            Well, that's pretty much how Muhammad felt about the people he ordered to be killed. He thought that the inhabitants of the lands around had sunk so far in sin, according to what he believe was the real God (Allah), that he ordered their execution. Unlike the Israelites, Muhammad seems to have been more merciful as he did not order complete genocide. He allowed non-Muslims to live as long as they paid a tax to Muslims and declared themselves as inferiors.

            I'm not claiming that he was right, but from a moral standpoint, his views are just as justifiable as the Israelites'.
            I think you missed the point of the Original Post. Name one person that was killed by Jesus Christ in the NT.

            What standard for morality are you using? Who exactly is your standard bearer? And I do not think anyone doubts that Muhammad "felt" justified.

            And what were the sins of the inhabitants in the sight of the God of Abraham, Issac, and Jacob? And what were the sins of the inhabitants according to Muhammad in the sight of Allah?

            Originally posted by Lucian Hodoboc View Post
            Unlike the Israelites, Muhammad seems to have been more merciful as he did not order complete genocide. He allowed non-Muslims to live as long as they paid a tax to Muslims and declared themselves as inferiors.
            Isn't it amazing that the same thing is occurring today? I'm sure the victims of the modern Christian genocide must "feel" that Muhammad is a swell guy, what a stand up guy.

            God bless,
            William
            Comment>

            • #7
              Originally posted by Lucian Hodoboc View Post
              Well, that's pretty much how Muhammad felt about the people he ordered to be killed. He thought that the inhabitants of the lands around had sunk so far in sin, according to what he believe was the real God (Allah), that he ordered their execution. Unlike the Israelites, Muhammad seems to have been more merciful as he did not order complete genocide. He allowed non-Muslims to live as long as they paid a tax to Muslims and declared themselves as inferiors.

              I'm not claiming that he was right, but from a moral standpoint, his views are just as justifiable as the Israelites'.
              Out of curiosity, how can you come to the conclusion that another human is justified in what they do if you do not agree that they were right in doing it?
              Comment>

              • #8
                Originally posted by Knotical View Post

                Out of curiosity, how can you come to the conclusion that another human is justified in what they do if you do not agree that they were right in doing it?
                If I didn't come to that conclusion, I wouldn't be able to be a Christian in the first place because I completely disagree with most of God's commandments from the Old Testament. I just accept them as rules given my someone who is superior in power and whom fighting against would be futile and end in my destruction.

                But - hypothetically speaking - if I was (a) God, I would never command the annihilation of entire nations because they didn't obey my rules. I'd take a different approach and bedazzle them with miracles and signs every single day until they learned to love me and make it so they couldn't sin.

                For example:
                - if someone tried to commit adultery - boom! give them temporary impotence during that day, so that they can't engage in fornication
                - if someone tried to kill or harm another person - boom! give them temporary paralysis during that day, so that they can't go through with their murderous plan
                - if someone tried to lie / give false testimony - boom! make them mute and deaf during that day, so that they can't hear or speak lies
                - if someone tried to worship other gods - boom! appear to them in a dream and tell them, "you should not worship other gods besides Yahweh"
                and so on...

                Of course, for the people who did obey my rules, there would be awards...

                Now, wouldn't that create a much better world?
                Comment>

                • #9
                  Originally posted by Lucian Hodoboc View Post

                  If I didn't come to that conclusion, I wouldn't be able to be a Christian in the first place because I completely disagree with most of God's commandments from the Old Testament. I just accept them as rules given my someone who is superior in power and whom fighting against would be futile and end in my destruction.

                  But - hypothetically speaking - if I was (a) God, I would never command the annihilation of entire nations because they didn't obey my rules. I'd take a different approach and bedazzle them with miracles and signs every single day until they learned to love me and make it so they couldn't sin.

                  For example:
                  - if someone tried to commit adultery - boom! give them temporary impotence during that day, so that they can't engage in fornication
                  - if someone tried to kill or harm another person - boom! give them temporary paralysis during that day, so that they can't go through with their murderous plan
                  - if someone tried to lie / give false testimony - boom! make them mute and deaf during that day, so that they can't hear or speak lies
                  - if someone tried to worship other gods - boom! appear to them in a dream and tell them, "you should not worship other gods besides Yahweh"
                  and so on...

                  Of course, for the people who did obey my rules, there would be awards...

                  Now, wouldn't that create a much better world?
                  That answers my question as to who your moral standard bearer is.

                  William
                  Comment>

                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Lucian Hodoboc View Post

                    If I didn't come to that conclusion, I wouldn't be able to be a Christian in the first place because I completely disagree with most of God's commandments from the Old Testament. I just accept them as rules given my someone who is superior in power and whom fighting against would be futile and end in my destruction.

                    But - hypothetically speaking - if I was (a) God, I would never command the annihilation of entire nations because they didn't obey my rules. I'd take a different approach and bedazzle them with miracles and signs every single day until they learned to love me and make it so they couldn't sin.

                    For example:
                    - if someone tried to commit adultery - boom! give them temporary impotence during that day, so that they can't engage in fornication
                    - if someone tried to kill or harm another person - boom! give them temporary paralysis during that day, so that they can't go through with their murderous plan
                    - if someone tried to lie / give false testimony - boom! make them mute and deaf during that day, so that they can't hear or speak lies
                    - if someone tried to worship other gods - boom! appear to them in a dream and tell them, "you should not worship other gods besides Yahweh"
                    and so on...

                    Of course, for the people who did obey my rules, there would be awards...

                    Now, wouldn't that create a much better world?
                    Not really, no. And with that little example you have completely missed the point of why Jesus had to come and die for our sins. God originally instituted the covenant of works with Adam. See where that got him (and us by association)? God took that requirement away because He knew we, as fallible humans, would never be able to live up to that kind of standard.
                    Comment>

                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Lucian Hodoboc View Post
                      I'd take a different approach and bedazzle them with miracles and signs every single day until they learned to love me and make it so they couldn't sin.
                      That sounds a lot like what God will do during the Millenium. Jesus Christ will rule on earth and all sin will be suppressed. Everyone will know without any doubt that there is a God. But look what will happen at the end.

                      And when the thousand years are ended, Satan will be released from his prison and will come out to deceive the nations that are at the four corners of the earth, Gog and Magog, to gather them for battle; their number is like the sand of the sea. And they marched up over the broad plain of the earth and surrounded the camp of the saints and the beloved city, but fire came down from heaven and consumed them, and the devil who had deceived them was thrown into the lake of fire and sulfur where the beast and the false prophet were, and they will be tormented day and night forever and ever. (Revelation 20:7-10)

                      Those born during the Millenium will have proof of the truth of God and yet when they have the chance they will rebel against him and follow Satan. Don't you think it is possible that God knows more than you do about the best way to run the world?
                      Clyde Herrin's Blog
                      Comment>

                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Knotical View Post
                        And with that little example you have completely missed the point of why Jesus had to come and die for our sins.
                        Enlighten me then.

                        Originally posted by Knotical View Post
                        God originally instituted the covenant of works with Adam.
                        What covenant of works?

                        Originally posted by Knotical View Post
                        because He knew we, as fallible humans, would never be able to live up to that kind of standard.
                        He made us that way in the first place. Why make something that you know can't live up to your standards? He didn't need us. God doesn't need anything or anyone as He is self-sufficient. Which only leaves one other option: He wanted us. Therefore, God wanted to create us this way. He wanted to create us as fallible and therefore He is responsible for our suffering.
                        Comment>

                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Lucian Hodoboc View Post
                          He made us that way in the first place. Why make something that you know can't live up to your standards? He didn't need us. God doesn't need anything or anyone as He is self-sufficient. Which only leaves one other option: He wanted us. Therefore, God wanted to create us this way. He wanted to create us as fallible and therefore He is responsible for our suffering.
                          Or alternatively God wanted humans to do something nothing else in creation could: to obey him out of free will. Creating something with free will carries the risk that they will disobey, which in practice Adam and Eve did. I take it you believe original sin plays no role in suffering, or believe that God was responsible for it?

                          Your idea of God intervening immediately in everything has a problem, and I'll quote modern science because it might mean more to you. The children of helicopter parents who smother them like that often have a psychological problem called infantilisation. The only way this gets resolved is to walk away from them. Why would God want people to walk away from him? It would also result in learned helplessness, where the victim doesn't try to do anything because they have learned it makes no difference. People raised like that may never be able to mature enough reach the age of choice or be able to make a conscious decision to follow God regardless of their age.
                          Comment>

                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Lucian Hodoboc View Post

                            Enlighten me then.



                            What covenant of works?



                            He made us that way in the first place. Why make something that you know can't live up to your standards? He didn't need us. God doesn't need anything or anyone as He is self-sufficient. Which only leaves one other option: He wanted us. Therefore, God wanted to create us this way. He wanted to create us as fallible and therefore He is responsible for our suffering.
                            Something tells me you have never read the bible, or possibly have even listened to a scripturally based sermon.
                            Comment>

                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Lucian Hodoboc View Post
                              What covenant of works?
                              Genesis 2:15-17 Then the LORD God took the man and put him in the garden of Eden to tend and keep it. And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, “Of every tree of the garden you may freely eat; but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die.”

                              The Contract with Adam:
                              DO: tend and keep the garden of Eden
                              DON'T: of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat

                              As long as Adam fulfilled these required works, he was fully righteous before God and would live in the garden.
                              Adam failed to keep the covenant of works ... enter the curse:

                              Genesis 3:17-19 Then to Adam He said, “Because you have heeded the voice of your wife, and have eaten from the tree of which I commanded you, saying, ‘You shall not eat of it’:
                              ​​“Cursed is the ground for your sake;
                              ​​In toil you shall eat of it
                              ​​All the days of your life.
                              ​​Both thorns and thistles it shall bring forth for you,
                              ​​And you shall eat the herb of the field.
                              ​​In the sweat of your face you shall eat bread
                              ​​Till you return to the ground,
                              ​​For out of it you were taken;
                              ​​For dust you are,
                              ​​And to dust you shall return.”


                              That was the covenant of works. The beginning and end of the chance for mankind to earn a place with God by our own efforts. Any questions?
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap