Apologetics may be simply defined as the defense of the Christian faith. The word "apologetics" derives from the Greek word apologia, which was originally used as a speech of defense.

Why didn't God show Himself while Jesus was on Earth?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why didn't God show Himself while Jesus was on Earth?

God The Father showed Himself (in one way or another, either in the form of a silhouette of light or fire etc.) to several people in the Old Testament. Why didn't He show Himself to the apostles while Jesus was on Earth to confirm that Jesus was indeed His Son? I mean, sure, He did speak when Jesus was on the mountain with the three apostles and with Moses and Elijah, but none of the apostles knew His voice, and a visual embodiment would have been a more valuable certification of Jesus' authenticity than a voice. If He went to the trouble of showing Himself to people in the Old Testament, why didn't He do it again when His own Son was among humans?

Originally posted by Lucian Hodoboc View Post
    God The Father showed Himself (in one way or another, either in the form of a silhouette of light or fire etc.) to several people in the Old Testament. Why didn't He show Himself to the apostles while Jesus was on Earth to confirm that Jesus was indeed His Son? I mean, sure, He did speak when Jesus was on the mountain with the three apostles and with Moses and Elijah, but none of the apostles knew His voice, and a visual embodiment would have been a more valuable certification of Jesus' authenticity than a voice. If He went to the trouble of showing Himself to people in the Old Testament, why didn't He do it again when His own Son was among humans?
    Hello Lucian,

The Father did confirm the Son:

Matthew 3:16-17
    • And when Jesus was baptized, immediately he went up from the water, and behold, the heavens were opened to him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and coming to rest on him; and behold, a voice from heaven said, “This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased.”

And further: John 14:9-11
    • 9 Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you so long, and you still do not know me, Philip? Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? 10 Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on my own authority, but the Father who dwells in me does his works. 11 Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father is in me, or else believe on account of the works themselves.

God bless,
    William
    Comment>

To be "in The Father" means to be of the same essence as The Father. Jesus did not claim to be The Father Himself, otherwise He would have prayed to Himself in the Gethsemane Garden.
      Comment>

Originally posted by Lucian Hodoboc View Post
        If He went to the trouble of showing Himself to people in the Old Testament, why didn't He do it again when His own Son was among humans?
        In Jesus, God revealed himself in a way that was superior to any previous revelation. Anyone who didn't believe Jesus wouldn't believe God if he revealed himself in another manner.
        Clyde Herrin's Blog
        Comment>

When I was in a gang, everyone was constantly aware of the importance of protecting your 'rep' and maintaining 'street credit', so it was an unwritten, but very real law that no one could afford to do nothing if they were publicly challenged. The loss of credit marked you as a punk ... all bark and no bite. As a 'thug', it would have been unthinkable for Jesus and God to allow a challenge to who he is - like the sort that Jesus faced - to go unanswered.

When I was converted, I had to learn a serious lesson about just how 'gansta' Jesus really was. If you remember the scene where they came to arrest Jesus and Peter chops a guy's ear off with a sword ... Jesus reacted by just calmly turning to Peter and asking him "What do you think you are doing? If I wanted to do something about this, don't you think that I would have just handled it. I could just give the word and legions of angels would come and take care of things." ... That's power. That's real power. ... Yet Jesus had nothing to prove to anyone, so he just calmly scooped up the ear and put it back on. Jesus had no need to handle the situation or to call for legions of angels. Jesus had nothing to prove to anyone. In a few days, everyone would see with their own eyes in a way that would mean more than any amount of talking or even a battle fought by a legion of angels.

So Jesus did reveal himself as God in the only way that mattered. He told people in advance that he was going to die and that he was going to raise himself from the dead. Then he died in a manner that left many witnesses and zero doubt. Then he did what he said he was going to do ... Jesus raised himself from the dead. After that, there was nothing to prove to anyone. There still isn't. There is only one place that dead men can go to be brought to life. So Jesus has nothing else to prove. Who else is raising the spiritually dead and offering eternal life proven by a personal Resurrection? What could a burning bush 2000 years ago add to that?
          Last edited by atpollard; 04-25-2017, 06:22 AM. Reason: spelling
          Comment>
          Working...
          X
          Articles - News - SiteMap