Apologetics may be simply defined as the defense of the Christian faith. The word "apologetics" derives from the Greek word apologia, which was originally used as a speech of defense.

Armageddon

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Armageddon

As a Judeo-Christian, I've wondered about this 'Armageddon' lingo that's been woven into our culture in the 'last days.' I only realized, upon Googling 'Armageddon', Bruce Willis, and Ben Affleck starred the what-was-supposed-to-be-an end-time prophecy of catastrophic, cosmic event.

If the non-Christian grasp the word and the origin of it from where it was spoken of, they should know a bit more what they're talking about and where they're basing their theories and their Hollywood film making from.

Actually, 'Armgeddon is originally a Hebrew word. And it only appears in the last book of the Scriptures. Revelation, "And he gathered them together into a place called in the Hebrew tongue Armageddon."

Looks like there's going to be a "gathering to divide or cut." Who are going to gather where and what are they going to 'phenominally' divide or cut? This Hebrew text might guve us a little context: Psalm 94:20-23.

Thanks.

Originally posted by PsalmOneCares View Post
    As a Judeo-Christian, I've wondered about this 'Armageddon' lingo that's been woven into our culture in the 'last days.' I only realized, upon Googling 'Armageddon', Bruce Willis, and Ben Affleck starred the what-was-supposed-to-be-an end-time prophecy of catastrophic, cosmic event.

If the non-Christian grasp the word and the origin of it from where it was spoken of, they should know a bit more what they're talking about and where they're basing their theories and their Hollywood film making from.

Actually, 'Armgeddon is originally a Hebrew word. And it only appears in the last book of the Scriptures. Revelation, "And he gathered them together into a place called in the Hebrew tongue Armageddon."

Looks like there's going to be a "gathering to divide or cut." Who are going to gather where and what are they going to 'phenominally' divide or cut? This Hebrew text might guve us a little context: Psalm 94:20-23.

Thanks.
    I think there's an asteroid headed our way. It is called something like 2880 AD. The year it is supposed to hit. I think that was the basis of the movie Armageddon. Personally, I am an Amillennialist. Every time someone makes a false prediction about the end time I am dumbfounded as to why others are still subscribed to that theological camp.

God bless,
    William
    Comment>

Originally posted by William View Post
      Every time someone makes a false prediction about the end time I am dumbfounded as to why others are still subscribed to that theological camp.
      The fact that some premillenialists make false predictions doesn't prove that premillenialism is false. The fact that Satan tries so hard to discredit it seems to me to me more of an argument for its truth. Those who make false predictions are ignoring the statement by Jesus that no one knows the day or the hour of his return.
      Clyde Herrin's Blog
      Comment>

Every time someone makes a false prediction about the end time I am dumbfounded as to why others are still subscribed to that theological camp.
        This is an absolute argument you've stated, 'false prediction about the end time.' On which, is a premise that snobs the appeal of other bandwagon of eschatological beliefs different from yours.

Nevertheless, Hebraic Armageddon seems to be imminent in the Last Days during the Messiah's (Christ's) return.
        Comment>

Originally posted by PsalmOneCares View Post
          On which, is a premise that snobs the appeal of other bandwagon of eschatological beliefs different from yours.
          2000 years of church history from a church which believed in Amillennialism. False predictions of a rather recent (200 years) theological camp - Premillennialism, and time are all on the side of Amillennialism. Now here comes the Premillennialst spouting off what is arrogant! All Premillennialist need do is prove their interpretations true. Of course, as I stated, every time one of these predictions falls through, an interpretation proves incorrect, and more time passes by.... I'd think that credibility would be lost. Why would anyone follow someone's theology that proves wrong, time and time again?

Personally, I think the Weather man has more credibility than those from certain end time eschatological camps. At least for the most part they are semi accurate about the short term weather patterns. Then again, I wouldn't turn to the weather man or evolutionary theist for long term weather patterns, what might of existed 70 thousand years ago, because they can't even get beyond 3-7 days. 2000 years have past. Maybe in another 2000 years that camp will still be yelling about the Nightly News and interpreting the Bible from CNN. No doubt there will be the superstitious then as there are now.

I'm gonna scream the next time I hear someone yell the end is here because of something they see in the news. What cracks me up is when they get ticked off at environmentalist yelling about Global Warming. Would someone put a lid on it already!

God bless,
          William
          Comment>

2000 years of church history from a church which believed in Amillennialism. False predictions of a rather recent (200 years) theological camp - Premillennialism, and time are all on the side of Amillennialism. Now here comes the Premillennialst spouting off what is arrogant! All Premillennialist need do is prove their interpretations true. Of course, as I stated, every time one of these predictions falls through, an interpretation proves incorrect, and more time passes by.... I'd think that credibility would be lost. Why would anyone follow someone's theology that proves wrong, time and time again?

Personally, I think the Weather man has more credibility than those from certain end time eschatological camps. At least for the most part they are semi accurate about the short term weather patterns. Then again, I wouldn't turn to the weather man or evolutionary theist for long term weather patterns, what might of existed 70 thousand years ago, because they can't even get beyond 3-7 days. 2000 years have past. Maybe in another 2000 years that camp will still be yelling about the Nightly News and interpreting the Bible from CNN. No doubt there will be the superstitious then as there are now.

I'm gonna scream the next time I hear someone yell the end is here because of something they see in the news. What cracks me up is when they get ticked off at environmentalist yelling about Global Warming. Would someone put a lid on it already!

God bless,
            William
            I could not agree more. I doubt there has ever been a time that someone or some group has not claimed that they were living in the last days. As I said in another post, the so-called antichrist is who ever believers think the biggest thread at the time happens to be. This pattern has been repeated many times over the past 2000 years and is nothing new. If history teaches us anything it is we ought to be very skeptical about such claims.
            Comment>

Originally posted by Origen View Post
              I could not agree more. I doubt there has ever been a time that someone or some group has not claimed that they were living in the last days. As I said in another post, the so-called antichrist is who ever believers think the biggest thread at the time happens to be. This pattern has been repeated many times over the past 2000 years and is nothing new. If history teaches us anything it is we ought to be very skeptical about such claims.
              That's like saying every civilization had a version of "Chicken Little". When did Premillennialist grab historical traction? In the 1940s?

God bless,
              William
              Comment>
              Working...
              X
              Articles - News - SiteMap