Apologetics may be simply defined as the defense of the Christian faith. The word "apologetics" derives from the Greek word apologia, which was originally used as a speech of defense.

When is Sin considered to be or not to be Sin?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When is Sin considered to be or not to be Sin?

William , a question I have been meaning to bring to the community of believers ; When is sin considered to be sin ? And when is sin not considered to be considered ,sin ? Not a tricky question when considering that while Christians are IN the world,they are not considered to be OF the world . Since the internet was invented a wide range of subjects have been discussed via social media and etc. I have found myself ,on occasion , becoming involved in some very heated discussions concerning politics . Especially now that we have a reasonably moderate president there is the tendency to defend many of his actions . Is this considered sin ? In that I am reading Lewis Sperry Chafer on the one hand and almost immediately find myself on the net arguing with some liberal leftist about the question of Abortion, for instance . What say you ? Louis

Hi Louis,

Hope you don't mind me moving your post and making it a new thread?

You are putting me on the spot by asking me for my advice :)

To answer your question, I think a sin can be not only an action, but a failed action or response. In other words, at the end of the day, it is not so much what we do as what we don't do. And of course, this can present itself in our thought life. We can respond in unholy ways in thought as well as action that fall short of God's standard.

Seems your example is mainly questioning whether it is a sin to stand up for another? Quite frankly, I think it is righteous to stand up for another in the face of wrong, especially if the person is being lied about, gossipped about, or slandered. That is, we should act upon truth and righteousness.

Peter chapter 3:
    14 But even if you should suffer for righteousness' sake, you will be blessed. Have no fear of them, nor be troubled, 15 but in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect, 16 having a good conscience, so that, when you are slandered, those who revile your good behavior in Christ may be put to shame. 17 For it is better to suffer for doing good, if that should be God's will, than for doing evil.

Also take example of David expressing his anger against the wicked in Psalm 139:

Oh that you would slay the wicked, O God!
    O men of blood, depart from me!
    They speak against you with malicious intent;
    your enemies take your name in vain.[b]
    Do I not hate those who hate you, O Lord?
    And do I not loathe those who rise up against you?
    I hate them with complete hatred;
    I count them my enemies.
    Search me, O God, and know my heart!
    Try me and know my thoughts![c]
    And see if there be any grievous way in me,
    and lead me in the way everlasting![d]

Lemme say this just in case. It is wise to know when to speak or not to speak. Timing can be everything. Take for example, John 4:

4 Now when Jesus learned that the Pharisees had heard that Jesus was making and baptizing more disciples than John 2 (although Jesus himself did not baptize, but only his disciples), 3 he left Judea and departed again for Galilee.

I am inferring from the Scriptures, but Jesus avoided the Pharisees in this example. The timing was not right. In other words, don't be marching into the middle of Islamic extremist with machetes!

As far as the question, when is sin not a sin, lemme say that sin is always sin. There are plenty of hypothetical traps though, for example, if you were hiding Jews and Nazis busted in and asked you whether you had any, is it a sin to lie? I believe that God will always provide a way that does not require us to break his laws.

On the topic of abortion. I can think of no more noble cause than to fight for those that are defenseless and innocent. Lemme share something with you. The other day someone posted this on my Facebook page:

Punish woman that hung her dogs from tree, calmly watched them DIE and buried in yard!

[​IMG]

I wrote: "They were her dogs and every woman should have a choice and the ability to kill their dogs. If they cause mental anguish then the tax payer should help out through some affordable care act to pay for the rope!"

Of course this did not go well. Amazing how people show more compassion for animals than for their own kind. Abortion is an atrocity. People, of course, did not understand I wrote this in a sarcastically disgusted way while mocking the abortion argument.

Please share your thoughts, Louis, and glad to see you posting!

God bless,
    William
    Comment>

William, thank you for your thoughtful answer to my question pertaining to What is, or is not ,sin . You covered this thoroughly and understandably ,I am grateful,,,,,,,,,,,, L
      Comment>

Originally posted by William View Post
        I wrote: "They were her dogs and every woman should have a choice and the ability to kill their dogs. If they cause mental anguish then the tax payer should help out through some affordable care act to pay for the rope!"

Of course this did not go well. Amazing how people show more compassion for animals than for their own kind. Abortion is an atrocity. People, of course, did not understand I wrote this in a sarcastically disgusted way while mocking the abortion argument.
        The problem is that tone does not convery well online. Unless you actually mentioned abortion in your response, people are unfortunately going to think the comment is endorsing animal cruelty rather tha objecting to abortion. Sadly there are people, like the woman above, who think this type of treatment of animals and children is acceptable and will endorse it.

I'd hate to see a woman like that raising children, if that's how she treats something small, weak, and dependent on her. I believe pre-emptive adoption might be called for.
        Comment>
        Working...
        X
        Articles - News - SiteMap