Apologetics may be simply defined as the defense of the Christian faith. The word "apologetics" derives from the Greek word apologia, which was originally used as a speech of defense.

Apostsy laws in Christianity?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apostsy laws in Christianity?

I know alot of christian websites badmouth Islam with falsehood and alot of Islamic websites also spread false accusations about Christianity. Can someone help me give me refutations given in this article Seeking The Truth: Death To Apostate and Non-Christians In The Bible
    im merely trying to seek the truth, nothing else. Peace...

What a bunch of nonsense. All it calls for is basic reading comprehension. So let's read the verses quoted in CONTEXT:

Deuteronomy 13
    1 If a prophet, or one who foretells by dreams, appears among you and announces to you a sign or wonder, 2 and if the sign or wonder spoken of takes place, and the prophet says, “Let us follow other gods” (gods you have not known) “and let us worship them,” 3 you must not listen to the words of that prophet or dreamer. The LORD your God is testing you to find out whether you love him with all your heart and with all your soul. 4 It is the LORD your God you must follow, and him you must revere. Keep his commands and obey him; serve him and hold fast to him. 5 That prophet or dreamer must be put to death for inciting rebellion against the LORD your God, who brought you out of Egypt and redeemed you from the land of slavery. That prophet or dreamer tried to turn you from the way the LORD your God commanded you to follow. You must purge the evil from among you.

6 If your very own brother, or your son or daughter, or the wife you love, or your closest friend secretly entices you, saying, “Let us go and worship other gods” (gods that neither you nor your ancestors have known, 7 gods of the peoples around you, whether near or far, from one end of the land to the other), 8 do not yield to them or listen to them. Show them no pity. Do not spare them or shield them. 9 You must certainly put them to death. Your hand must be the first in putting them to death, and then the hands of all the people. 10 Stone them to death, because they tried to turn you away from the LORD your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery. 11 Then all Israel will hear and be afraid, and no one among you will do such an evil thing again.

12 If you hear it said about one of the towns the LORD your God is giving you to live in 13 that troublemakers have arisen among you and have led the people of their town astray, saying, “Let us go and worship other gods” (gods you have not known), 14 then you must inquire, probe and investigate it thoroughly. And if it is true and it has been proved that this detestable thing has been done among you, 15 you must certainly put to the sword all who live in that town. You must destroy it completely,[fn] both its people and its livestock. 16 You are to gather all the plunder of the town into the middle of the public square and completely burn the town and all its plunder as a whole burnt offering to the LORD your God. That town is to remain a ruin forever, never to be rebuilt, 17 and none of the condemned things[fn] are to be found in your hands. Then the LORD will turn from his fierce anger, will show you mercy, and will have compassion on you. He will increase your numbers, as he promised on oath to your ancestors— 18 because you obey the LORD your God by keeping all his commands that I am giving you today and doing what is right in his eyes.

I will not even waste time pointing out that this chapter applies to the nation of Israel under a direct rule Theocracy with God as the king and not to Christians and those who follow Jesus Christ who are temporary visitors in this world on our way to a Kingdom that is not of this world. Instead, we will just focus on Deuteronomy 13:6-9 when actually read in their context. This is not talking about a casual 'your son or daughter comes home and has chosen to follow another faith'. This is about a false prophet coming along and claiming to speak for God and trying to lead the whole community into apostasy. That is the person who is commanded to be put to death.

Just out of curiosity, what is the reaction of a modern civil government if you incite the population to insurrection? I believe that the US constitution defines Treason as giving aid to enemies of the United States and describes it as an offense punishable by death. Apparently insurrection and treason was no more acceptable in the Old Testament.

Once again, the Kingdom of Jesus Christ is in Heaven. Good luck sneaking into Heaven and attempting to incite the other citizens to worship false gods. On the other hand, if you somehow do manage that nifty little trick, I suspect God will handle it himself rather than call on us to kill you.

So Deuteronomy 13:6-9 is a silly red herring that does not pass the laugh test and anyone throwing that in your face as an accusation against Christianity needs to learn to read and stop embarrassing themselves.
    Comment>

Exodus 22:20

Let's back up just a little to Exodus 19:

Exodus 19:1-7
      1 On the first day of the third month after the Israelites left Egypt—on that very day—they came to the Desert of Sinai. 2 After they set out from Rephidim, they entered the Desert of Sinai, and Israel camped there in the desert in front of the mountain.

3 Then Moses went up to God, and the LORD called to him from the mountain and said, “This is what you are to say to the descendants of Jacob and what you are to tell the people of Israel: 4 ‘You yourselves have seen what I did to Egypt, and how I carried you on eagles’ wings and brought you to myself. 5 Now if you obey me fully and keep my covenant, then out of all nations you will be my treasured possession. Although the whole earth is mine, 6 you will be for me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation.’ These are the words you are to speak to the Israelites.”

7 So Moses went back and summoned the elders of the people and set before them all the words the LORD had commanded him to speak. 8 The people all responded together, “We will do everything the LORD has said.” So Moses brought their answer back to the LORD

God and the people entered into a contract. Once again, we will ignore the enormous fact that God did not lead the ancestors of non-Jews out of Egypt, so most Christians did not enter into this covenant. We will also ignore the fact that it was Jesus Christ who is our righteousness and, therefore, it is Jesus who must have obeyed the terms of this covenant to fulfill it (which he did when he said 'It is finished' and died on a cross). Instead we will just focus on the terms of the contract between God and the people in Exodus. Now let's keep this contract in mind and move on to Exodus 22:

Exodus 22:16-31
      16 “If a man seduces a virgin who is not pledged to be married and sleeps with her, he must pay the bride-price, and she shall be his wife. 17 If her father absolutely refuses to give her to him, he must still pay the bride-price for virgins.

18 “Do not allow a sorceress to live.

19 “Anyone who has sexual relations with an animal is to be put to death.

20 “Whoever sacrifices to any god other than the LORD must be destroyed.

21 “Do not mistreat or oppress a foreigner, for you were foreigners in Egypt.

22 “Do not take advantage of the widow or the fatherless. 23 If you do and they cry out to me, I will certainly hear their cry. 24 My anger will be aroused, and I will kill you with the sword; your wives will become widows and your children fatherless.

25 “If you lend money to one of my people among you who is needy, do not treat it like a business deal; charge no interest. 26 If you take your neighbor’s cloak as a pledge, return it by sunset, 27 because that cloak is the only covering your neighbor has. What else can they sleep in? When they cry out to me, I will hear, for I am compassionate.

28 “Do not blaspheme God or curse the ruler of your people.

29 “Do not hold back offerings from your granaries or your vats.

“You must give me the firstborn of your sons. 30 Do the same with your cattle and your sheep. Let them stay with their mothers for seven days, but give them to me on the eighth day.

31 “You are to be my holy people. So do not eat the meat of an animal torn by wild beasts; throw it to the dogs.

So I don't know if these are great laws or not, but the verse in question is part of a whole group of verses about how people are expected to behave. People not having sex with animals (Exodus 22:19) seems like a good rule. Not mistreating people (Exodus 22:21-27) also sounds like a good rule to me. Pledging to be God's treasured people and then breaking that pledge sounds pretty serious to me. Now if you REALLY want to worship other Gods, then you just need to leave God's Kingdom of Israel. The laws and penalties only applied in the promised land.

I suppose that I should again point out that the Kingdom of Christ is not of this world, so if this applies, it would apply to offering sacrifices to false gods in Heaven, so again, good luck with that and God will probably handle it in person. A second basic reading comprehension failure.
      Comment>

Thank you for clarifications. I was more skeptical about the Deuteronomy 13:15, but since it doesnt applies to every nation( as u said. Correct me if i m wrong), its clear now.. Than you..
        Comment>

I believe this subject is also mentioned in the NT. 2 John 1:10 and Titus 1:11 instructing us on what to do or how to respond to those that are both an opponent to the faith and also those that teach false doctrine. Please read the surrounding context around those two verses. Lastly, I believe Deut 6 is emphasizing the Judicial laws to a theocratic Israel during a time when God did dwell directly with them. God is called jealous, because He permits no rivalry which may detract from His glory, nor does He suffer the service which is due to Him alone to be transferred elsewhere.

God bless,
          William
          Comment>
          Working...
          X
          Articles - News - SiteMap