Apologetics may be simply defined as the defense of the Christian faith. The word "apologetics" derives from the Greek word apologia, which was originally used as a speech of defense.

Can you actually forgive your enemy?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you actually forgive your enemy?

Forgive your enemy is one of the popular statements in the Bible. Can you forgive anyone who has committed wrongs against you. Let's imagine a situation. Can you forgive a person who shot your wife? Can you accept a person who raped your daughter?

Originally posted by Dominique View Post
    Forgive your enemy is one of the popular statements in the Bible. Can you forgive anyone who has committed wrongs against you. Let's imagine a situation. Can you forgive a person who shot your wife? Can you accept a person who raped your daughter?
    Yes, should the person be stricken by conscience and approach me for forgiveness. And that doesn't mean we condone their actions, or that they escape the consequences.

God bless,
    William
    Comment>

I don't really hold grudges in general. I can forgive smaller slights pretty easily. But I don't know that I could forgive someone who murdered or raped my wife or daughter, but there are other people who have, and all I can say is they're bigger people or perhaps better Christians than me.
      Comment>

Sometimes it is easier to forgive an enemy than it is a friend, or family member. The enemy is someone you may never see again, but when it comes to a friend or family there is an element of betrayal that is difficult to let go.
        Comment>

My brother worked as station manager for a local newspaper. That means he went to work at 11 PM and got home about 8 AM. If someone could not do their route, he had to cover it. So he had an old car with a lot of hard miles (one of several actually). One particular morning, he finished interviewing prospective new employees at the main office and was driving home, when his car broke an axle half a mile from his house. The fastest solution was to walk home and get the other car. Richard had been raised atheist (like all of our family) and had started talking to a Jehovah's Witness at work and asking me questions about what the Bible had to say.

Reverend Long, a retired Methodist minister was driving to the store when he suffered a hypoglycemic (low blood sugar) attack, performed a u-turn by driving over the median of a divided highway, drove up the grass shoulder bouncing over the curbed driveways as he crossed them, avoided running into the deep drainage ditch along the side of the road. The Reverand Long struck Richard from behind as he was walking 8 feet from the travel lane, knocked him out of his shoes, threw his body through the air like a rag doll and drove on, oblivious as Richard died gasping foaming blood from his mouth and nose before an ambulance could arrive on the scene.

Someone asked me if I wanted to punish the man that killed Richard. I told them that if it would bring Richard back, I would crush the life from the body of Mr. Long with my bare hands. However, what I wanted was Richard back alive and not Mr. Long dead. Since his death would not bring Richard back, there was nothing I wanted from Mr. Long.

So who was I to blame? Bad luck? Fate? Random chance? If God isn't in control of a seeker on the cusp of finding salvation after 20 years of living as an atheist and a retired Minister, then we need to revisit that whole "OMNI-" thing we claim God has going. The 'fault' rests with a Soverign God. So the question of can you forgive and who do you forgive and what wrongs do you forgive ... takes on a whole bigger level of importance.

Ultimately, forgiveness is possible when Love is more important than Justice.

YMMV
          Arthur
          Last edited by atpollard; 01-08-2017, 05:14 PM.
          Comment>
          Working...
          X
          Articles - News - SiteMap