Apologetics may be simply defined as the defense of the Christian faith. The word "apologetics" derives from the Greek word apologia, which was originally used as a speech of defense.

What argument against Christianity do you struggle with the most?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What argument against Christianity do you struggle with the most?

Which argument is it that comes closest to convincing you that Christianity is not real and why? How would you respond to that argument?

The argument that comes to me is that why Christ. But after a deep study of the false religions, it made convince that Christ is the way, truth and light of the world.
    Comment>

Really the biggest one I come across on a regular basis is the infallibility, inerrancy of the Bible. So many people assume that it was penned by men and therefore it is open to errors, which is a completely valid argument if everything was only made up by men. However, it is God breathed and that is chief point we must all put our faith behind is that God not only coordinated the penning of the bible through these Godly men, but also facilitated the handing down of it through the years, across numerous different languages, and kept the doctrines and theology within it completely intact.
      Comment>

The argument I struggle against the most is "but the bible was written by men, so it is wrong." I believe that the bible was inspired by the Holy Spirit, and is therefore the word of God.
        Comment>

None.
          Comment>

"The evidence of contemporary Christian life is such, that God, if he ever existed, must surely be dead." - Bertrand Russel

That was the quote that in 1973 convinced me to stop looking for answers. It rang more true than any argument by science or theology presented to me before that point. Christians are at the same time, the greatest evidence for the existence of God and against his existence. That is the power of our testimony (lives) in this world.
            Comment>

There's no argument against Christianity that I struggle with. When you struggle with anything then look to the bible for answers for as Jesus was tempted in the desert, He got ammo to defend Himself against Satan from the scriptures. It is written . . . all Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for instruction, for conviction, for correction, and for training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be complete, fully equipped for every good work. This is why we should use Scripture the same way Jesus did.
              Comment>

Originally posted by motirattan View Post
                The argument that comes to me is that why Christ. But after a deep study of the false religions, it made convince that Christ is the way, truth and light of the world.
                Could you elaborate more on what exactly you mean by 'why christ'? What exactly is the argument you are referring to here?
                Comment>

Originally posted by Knotical View Post
                  Really the biggest one I come across on a regular basis is the infallibility, inerrancy of the Bible. So many people assume that it was penned by men and therefore it is open to errors, which is a completely valid argument if everything was only made up by men. However, it is God breathed and that is chief point we must all put our faith behind is that God not only coordinated the penning of the bible through these Godly men, but also facilitated the handing down of it through the years, across numerous different languages, and kept the doctrines and theology within it completely intact.
                  I'm interested in knowing how you came to the conclusion that the scripture is God-breathed independently of the Bible. Because it seems to create a cyclical problem if the Bible claims that it is inspired by God. After all a man could have written those words. How do you respond to that argument?
                  Comment>

Originally posted by rootle View Post

I'm interested in knowing how you came to the conclusion that the scripture is God-breathed independently of the Bible. Because it seems to create a cyclical problem if the Bible claims that it is inspired by God. After all a man could have written those words. How do you respond to that argument?
                    Are you asking in that you are playing the devil's advocate, or because you are actually an unbeliever?
                    Comment>

Well I think that there is room here for the general notion of the impossibility of it all. They are the ones who will say "so you think that a man with a white beard in the sky is making the decisions?" I have gotten to the point where I do not entertain these arguments, but when I did used to dispute them it was frustrating to try and explain to them the very basis of faith, but it was just not worth it.
                      Comment>

Are you asking in that you are playing the devil's advocate, or because you are actually an unbeliever?
                        Well I'm somewhat on the fence, although in either case the answer should be the same. I just want to understand your thought process here. I hope you don't mind.
                        Comment>

Originally posted by rootle View Post

Well I'm somewhat on the fence, although in either case the answer should be the same. I just want to understand your thought process here. I hope you don't mind.
                          There is not such thing as being "on the fence." As you are either a Christian or you are not. Either you serve God or Satan, there is no in between.

As a Christian we understand that the bible is God breathed, meaning He inspired men through the Holy Spirit to write everything that is contained within it. And since it is God breathed it is also the utmost written authority (source material) on God.
                          Comment>

Originally posted by AnnaBanana View Post
                            The argument I struggle against the most is "but the bible was written by men, so it is wrong." I believe that the bible was inspired by the Holy Spirit, and is therefore the word of God.
                            Quoting myself here. I want to clarify that I do not personally struggle with this. This is the argument that frustrates me the most when discussing the bible with a nonbeliever.
                            Comment>

There is not such thing as being "on the fence." As you are either a Christian or you are not. Either you serve God or Satan, there is no in between.

As a Christian we understand that the bible is God breathed, meaning He inspired men through the Holy Spirit to write everything that is contained within it. And since it is God breathed it is also the utmost written authority (source material) on God.
                              When I said I was on the fence I meant that I have not made a conclusive decision to become a Christian but I might in the future. Thanks for your answer.
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap