Apologetics may be simply defined as the defense of the Christian faith. The word "apologetics" derives from the Greek word apologia, which was originally used as a speech of defense.

Latter-Day Saints

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latter-Day Saints

In the mid-2000s I did a pretty exhaustive study of the Latter-Day Saint history, theology, and texts unique to their movement (e.g., The Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, The Pearl of Great Price, Journal of Discourses, etc.). I also did some reading on the sects out side of the mainstream religion (e.g., RLDS, Apostolic United Brethren, FLDS, Strangite, et al.).

While it was a fascinating study in American history and religious thought, I came all the more convinced that the religion was completely unbiblical, well outside the pale of orthodoxy, and at times outright bizarre.

Has anyone else done some study into this unique religion? What conclusions did you come to?

Thanks for sharing. :)

Thought Mormons will vehemently deny that their religion teaches Jesus Christ and Lucifer were brothers that is something anyone who reads their literature can deduce. Anyone who believes that is no Christian. Jesus is GOD. Saying Jesus and Satan were brothers is tantamount to claiming that satan is a god [which he isn't]. What does that make Mormonism? An entirely different religion — one that is much closer to Islam. There are some who even call Mormonism the Islam of the West — Joseph Smith being what Mohammad is to Muslims — a prophet.
    Comment>

Truly agree with you Smithee.
      Comment>

By the way, Joseph Smith actually was referred to as "the New Mohammad." Lots of similiarities between Islam and Mormonism can easily be found using Google. What I find most disgusting about them though is their belief that God has a wife whom they [Mormons] call "heavenly mother."
        Comment>

Out of morbid curiosity, I was skimming through, and reading, parts of the Book of Mormon the other day. Good grief. I don't even know where to begin. Mark Twain once referred to the text as "chloroform in print" and it is most certainly boring. And this is coming from someone who has not only read pretty dense theological texts, but every conceivable technical manual and legal instrument necessary to conduct business over the years.

Still, I think Charles Spurgeon nailed it with:

"One of the most modern pretenders to inspiration is the Book of Mormon. I could not blame you should you laugh outright while I read aloud a page from that conglomeration."

and

"Take again the increase of Mormonism. What has been its strength? Simply this—the assertion of power from heaven. That claim is made, and the people believe it, and now they have missionaries in almost every country of the habitable globe, and the book of Mormon is translated into many languages. Though there never could be a delusion more transparent, or a counterfeit less skilful, and more lying upon the very surface, yet this simple pretension to power has been the means of carrying power with it."
          No offense to members of that cult, and I have one friend/business associate who practices said faith, but what a stinker.
          Last edited by Nahum; 08-29-2016, 07:56 PM.
          Comment>

I find their story about Creation and the "real" reason they claim the Fall happened particularly fascinating :rolleyes: Here's just a glimpse of what they have to say:

If Adam had not transgressed he would not have fallen, but he would have remained in the garden of Eden. And all things which were created must have remained in the same state in which they were after they were created; and they must have remained forever, and had no end. And they would have had no children; wherefore they would have remained in a state of innocence, having no joy, for they knew no misery; doing no good, for they knew no sin. But behold, all things have been done in the wisdom of him who knoweth all things.” (2 Nephi 2:22-25)
            Last edited by David Lee; 08-30-2016, 05:16 AM.
            Simul Justus et Peccator ~Martin Luther

"We are justified by faith alone, but the faith that justifies is never alone" ~John Calvin

"The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us." ~C. S. Lewis

"The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances" ~Elisabeth Elliot

"The law is for the self-righteous to humble their pride; the Gospel is for the lost to remove their despair. ~C. H. Spurgeon
            Comment>

Went onto a Mormon site a moment ago. Glad they clarified this :rolleyes:

An oft-repeated claim is that Mormons believe Jesus is the brother of Satan. Like many other provocative claims against Mormonism this is only a half-truth; a half-truth which leaves the uninformed reader with the false impression that Mormons place Jesus and Satan on equal footing. This could not be further from the truth–it is a distortion of what Mormons actually believe.

Latter-day Saints believe that God is the father of all spirits (Hebrews 12:9). These spirits include all humans, as well as angels, demons (including Satan), and Jesus Christ. In this sense, we are all brothers and sisters to each other. We are all brothers and sisters to Christ, as well as to Satan.

Latter-day Saints believe that Jesus and Satan are brothers in the exact same sense that all men and women are siblings to Satan. But critics of Mormonism usually do not provide this context, and therefore leave audiences with the false impression that Mormons are not Christians. Saying Jesus is the brother of Satan thus serves as a short-hand code for communicating “Mormons aren’t Christian.”
              God bless,
              William
              Comment>

Latter-day Saints believe that Jesus and Satan are brothers in the exact same sense that all men and women are siblings to Satan.
                What?

Saying Jesus is the brother of Satan thus serves as a short-hand code for communicating “Mormons aren’t Christian.”
                If the shoe fits...
                Comment>

Originally posted by Origen View Post
                  What?
                  It must be another of those famous Church corruptions that Joseph Smith came to correct ... when Jesus said they were children of their father the Devil, he really meant 'brothers'.
                  Now aren't you glad you know the 'truth'. ;)

Originally posted by Origen View Post
                  If the shoe fits...
                  Amen.

Comment>

Originally posted by atpollard View Post
                    It must be another of those famous Church corruptions that Joseph Smith came to correct ... when Jesus said they were children of their father the Devil, he really meant 'brothers'.
                    Now aren't you glad you know the 'truth'. ;)
                    Yes I am. That is as clear as mud. lol

Comment>

Although I grew up attending church at an Assembly of God church, I also belonged to the LDS (Mormon) church for a while after I was an adult. Most of the strange things that are in their teachings are things that they do not tell the church members, and in fact, they cover up these teachings. What is taught to the average Mormon is close to the same things that any other church teaches, with the excetion that they use the Book of Mormon and the Doctrine and Covenants to back up what they are saying, as well as the Bible.
                      The main reason that I separated from that church was exactly because I discovered someof the hidden teachings. Many are found in what is called the "Journal of Discourses", and most Mormons do not have a copy of this because it consists of many volumes of prophetic utterances of the church leaders. Therefore, they don't know what all is contained in there, and the controversial parts are never mentioned.

When I started asking about some these things, the elders basically told me it was not my place to question it, and then advised me to leave the church when I persisted; so it is something that they want to keep hidden , not only from the world, but also from church members.
                      Now, when I went to the Mormon church, I didn't feel any different then I did before, or than I do now, and I believe that I was still saved during that time, even though I don't agree with the church teachings.
                      It is my belief that since the Bible says that God looks at our hearts, he is also going to be able to tell which people truly love the Lord and are doing their best to keep his commandments, regardless of which church we go to.
                      Comment>
                      Working...
                      X
                      Articles - News - SiteMap