Discussions related to the end times and Bible prophecy.

The Meaning of 666, The Reason for the Riddle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Meaning of 666, The Reason for the Riddle

I will prove the following two propositions:

1) 666 is a biblical allusion to a man’s name in the Old Testament: Adonikam.

2) The Holy Spirit inspired this Riddle to strengthen the faith of the generation alive in the End Time that will see Adonikam rise to become the Antichrist Beast.

We solve riddles by heeding its details, and spotting any double entendre hinting at a solution. For example, Samson’s riddle (Judges 14:14) contained the solution, honey eaten from the carcass of a lion (Judges 14:8-9, 18):
    So he said to them: “Out of the eater came something to eat, And out of the strong came something sweet.” Now for three days they could not explain the riddle. (Jdg. 14:14) NKJ
    The word “lion” in Hebrew (ʾarî) is almost identical to an Arabic word for “honey” (ʾary).-Wolf, H. (1992). Judges. In F. E. Gaebelein (Ed.), The Expositor’s Bible Commentary: Deuteronomy, Joshua, Judges, Ruth, 1 & 2 Samuel (Vol. 3, p. 468). Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan Publishing House.
    Lets Solve the 666 Meaning:
    Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six. (Rev. 13:18) KJV
    John said 666 is the number OF a man, not the number of a name. That’s double entendre, 666 springs from the man, 666 exists because of what the man is or does, it is not his name in code. We must pay attention to the detail with strictness, John insisted we COUNT to arrive at 666, that is one half of the equation. To solve the riddle we must deduce the missing half of the equation that equals 666 and then determine what man caused that calculation to exist, for it is “OF” him. Therefore Gematria, numerology, symbolic meaning, etc. are completely irrelevant.

Lets review other details to find what else is implied in the wording:
    This calls for wisdom: let the one who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man, and his number is 666. (Rev. 13:18) ESV
    Christians seek wisdom in scripture, therefore John’s call for it must involve the Bible. Adonikam is the only Bible name of a man 666 and a calculation point to that everyone (3588 ὁ ho) understanding the Bible can find. Once directly (Ezra 2:13) and once after a calculation (Neh. 7:18) subtracting Adonikam’s father who must have had the same name, so 667-1=666 still points to Adonikam. The only man directly causing 666 to exist and also the calculation resulting in 666 to exist, is the man Adonikam. As John thus says he is the Beast, 666 is the number OF the Beast also:
    The children of Adonikam, six hundred sixty and six. (Ezr. 2:13) KJV

The children of Adonikam, six hundred threescore and seven. (Neh. 7:18) KJV
    Having these two verses point to the same name is like having “two witnesses” establishing the matter (Deut. 19:15).

Adonikam alone is the elegant solution, it alone assembles John’s puzzle following all his requirements and still satisfies his expectation anyone with Bible wisdom will discover the one name he had in mind when he penned this riddle.

Not so Kabbalistic Gematria. The pieces just do not fit, and regardless how it is tweaked, so many names are produced it will never satisfy John’s expectation only one name will result and the probability the reader will pick the name John had in mind is infinitesimal.

More at my site:
    The Meaning of 666, The Reason For The Riddle

The book of Revelation is very specific -- believers are Not to take the mark / 666 / or they will suffer the wrath of God.
    Comment>

Originally posted by Sue D. View Post
      The book of Revelation is very specific -- believers are Not to take the mark / 666 / or they will suffer the wrath of God.
      We are in total agreement.

But I do see a worthy reason, it supports the doctrine of providential preservation of scripture. The solution depends upon both 666 and 667 being right, correct. Which means resisting the temptation to reconcile these numbers was the right thing for copyists to do.

That inspires faith in God's word, which will be sorely needed in the end time when apostasy has overtaken Christendom and everything is attacking the trustworthiness of the Bible.

Seeing it nailed the name of the Beast precisely is a must in my opinion, any
      "symbolic" interpretation will be laughed at by mockers in the end time.
      Comment>

Im not good at solving riddles. There are other signs that will point to who this man is. The rest will fall into place when he is revealed.

We must be able to discern the times. It closer than we think.
        Comment>

Originally posted by Alfred Persson View Post

We are in total agreement.

But I do see a worthy reason, it supports the doctrine of providential preservation of scripture. The solution depends upon both 666 and 667 being right, correct. Which means resisting the temptation to reconcile these numbers was the right thing for copyists to do.

That inspires faith in God's word, which will be sorely needed in the end time when apostasy has overtaken Christendom and everything is attacking the trustworthiness of the Bible.

Seeing it nailed the name of the Beast precisely is a must in my opinion, any
          "symbolic" interpretation will be laughed at by mockers in the end time.
          Where is 667 found in Scripture?
          Comment>

Where is 667 found in Scripture?
            In Nehemiah 7:18. My OP wasn't clear, this is better:

The Genitive (“OF”) is the double entendre. 1) 666 is the number OF a man; 2) 666 is the number OF a name (Rev. 13:17); 3) 666 is the number OF the Beast.

The solution:

1a) 666 is OF the man because he has 666 children (Ezr. 2:13).
            2a) 666 is OF the name because it generates the equation that results in 666. In Nehemiah 7:18 Adonikam is said to have 667 children, therefore its deducible the list began with Adonikam’s father who must also be named Adonikam. So the “count” or “calculation” which is “OF” this name is 667-1=666, pointing to the same man Adonikam his son (Neh. 7:18).
            3a) 666 is OF the Beast because John said so (Rev. 13:18).

Having these two verses point to the same name is like having “two witnesses” establishing the matter (Deut. 19:15).

As Gematria is irrelevant to two of these “connections”, it cannot solve this riddle.
            Comment>

Originally posted by mitchel View Post
              Im not good at solving riddles. There are other signs that will point to who this man is. The rest will fall into place when he is revealed.

We must be able to discern the times. It closer than we think.

I agree, there will be no mistaking who the Beast is. In fact, I think he will boast he is the prophesied Beast, and dare God to fight him. And many will believe he can defeat God, with his "extraterrestrial" Dragon ally with his fleet of "ufo ships".

The Antichrist doesn't just deny the Father and Son, he denies the very concept of God claiming all the "gods" in history were actually "ancient aliens" and that he, with his extraterrestrial allies is stronger than them all.

36 And the king shall do according to his will; and he shall exalt himself, and magnify himself above every god, and shall speak marvellous things against the God of gods, and shall prosper till the indignation be accomplished: for that that is determined shall be done.
              37 Neither shall he regard the God of his fathers, nor the desire of women, nor regard any god: for he shall magnify himself above all.
              38 But in his estate shall he honour the God of forces: and a god whom his fathers knew not shall he honour with gold, and silver, and with precious stones, and pleasant things.
              39 Thus shall he do in the most strong holds with a strange god, whom he shall acknowledge and increase with glory: and he shall cause them to rule over many, and shall divide the land for gain.
              (Dan. 11:36-39 KJV)

In fact, just as God permitted Pharaoh some success (Ex. 7:22), He will permit some of his angels be defeated in battle, to harden the hearts of the apostates:

It grew so big it reached the army of heaven, and it brought about the fall of some of the army and some of the stars to the ground, where it trampled them. (Dan. 8:10 NET)

That is what is meant by his insulting God, his tabernacle and all who dwell in heaven (Rev. 13:7), he opposes the concept of God and exalts himself above them all (2 Thess. 2:4). And the world will believe him, because the appearance of a UFO fleet will seem to prove the ancient alien theory, causing the worldwide apostasy against everything called God or worshiped (2 Thess. 2:3-4).

So even if his name isn't Adonikam, if that is figurative for what he is and not a literal name, there will be no mistaking who this Beast is.
              Comment>

Originally posted by Alfred Persson View Post

In Nehemiah 7:18. My OP wasn't clear, this is better:

The Genitive (“OF”) is the double entendre. 1) 666 is the number OF a man; 2) 666 is the number OF a name (Rev. 13:17); 3) 666 is the number OF the Beast.

The solution:

1a) 666 is OF the man because he has 666 children (Ezr. 2:13).
                2a) 666 is OF the name because it generates the equation that results in 666. In Nehemiah 7:18 Adonikam is said to have 667 children, therefore its deducible the list began with Adonikam’s father who must also be named Adonikam. So the “count” or “calculation” which is “OF” this name is 667-1=666, pointing to the same man Adonikam his son (Neh. 7:18).
                3a) 666 is OF the Beast because John said so (Rev. 13:18).

As Gematria is irrelevant to two of these “connections”, it cannot solve this riddle.

I was just looking up the passages -- they are correct -- the number of his children being 666, etc.

Obviously your free to have your opinion.

Is it possible that sometime a person makes riddles out of things that don't especially have to be riddles. And maybe you're right -- eventually all these things Will be discovered and make sense.

Post #4 has a good point, also.:)
                Comment>

I was just looking up the passages -- they are correct -- the number of his children being 666, etc.

Obviously your free to have your opinion.

Is it possible that sometime a person makes riddles out of things that don't especially have to be riddles. And maybe you're right -- eventually all these things Will be discovered and make sense.

Post #4 has a good point, also.:)
                  Its a riddle, and in scripture they utilize the different meanings of words to "hide" and yet "reveal" the answer. In this case, the "number Of the man" could be taken as meaning his name in numerical code is 666, but it could also be taken as the man causes the number 666 to exist.

When you have 666 kids, you caused the number to exist.

That is the key to solving the riddle. Which you prefer really depends on your bias. My bias is "scripture is where I find answers", others don't agree so they look elsewhere.

Post #4 did have a good point, and he was honest. But he could be good with riddles, its something we can learn. So its his choice.
                  Comment>

I personally believe the mark is symbolic for our thoughts and actions. The mark on forehead, Is our thought.. The mark on the right hand, symbolic for our actions. We see God marking his people often in scripture and his mark is symbolic for his people or for their thought and actions

Eze. 9:4

and said to him, "Go throughout the city of Jerusalem and put a mark on the foreheads of those who grieve and lament over all the detestable things that are done in it."

Exo.

This observance will be for you like a sign on your hand and a reminder on your forehead that this law of the LORD is to be on your lips. For the LORD brought you out of Egypt with his mighty hand.

Rev 7:3
                    "Do not harm the land or the sea or the trees until we put a seal on the foreheads of the servants of our God.

2 cor 1:22
                    set his seal of ownership on us, and put his Spirit in our hearts as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come.

The way I see it, is you are of Christ and have Gods mark or seal or your of the world and will not have eternal life, mark of the beast
                    Comment>

Revelation 13: 16 "He also forced everyone, small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on his right hand or on his forehead, so that no one could buy or sell unless he had the mark, which is the name of the beat or the number of his name."

It sounds far more literal than symbolic.
                      Comment>

Do you think the !44000 literally have the Fathers name on their forehead
                        Then I looked, and there before me was the Lamb, standing on Mount Zion, and with him 144,000 who had his name and his Father’s name written on their foreheads.

To me its symbolic you either are going to have the beasts mark or the Fathers name or his mark/seal
                        Comment>

Originally posted by Guppy View Post
                          Do you think the !44000 literally have the Fathers name on their forehead
                          Then I looked, and there before me was the Lamb, standing on Mount Zion, and with him 144,000 who had his name and his Father’s name written on their foreheads.

To me its symbolic you either are going to have the beasts mark or the Fathers name or his mark/seal
                          We're talking about two different things. The 144,000 have the name of God on their forehead for protection during the 7 yrs.

The mark of the beat 666 is Not to be taken by believers. They will experience the wrath of God if they do. No believers are going to be left here after the Church / believers / are taken up. People Will come to Christ during the tribulation period. Kids will be born and those to young to have made their decision will have a chance to hear and accept. Maybe by then we'll be in a moneyless society and it will make sense to have a micro-chip imbedded on the hand or forehead. Microchips are already being used by pet owners for identification purposes.

I'm Also thinking that it Might be used Before the rapture takes place. And believers won't be taking it Because they don't want to incur God's wrath. And it Might be encouraged for very good, practical reasons by society.
                          Comment>

Not to get off the subject but, I don't think I am talking about two different things
                            We are all protected by Gods seal/mark

[Eph 4: 30 And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.

We are sealed and will not experience Gods wrath, we have Gods mark, we belong to him, Gods wrath will be poured out on all who don't come to Jesus. Believers will not experience Gods wrath whether in the last days or at judgment

Another reason that the mark of the beast may be symbolic is that there is only one unpardonable sin, but if the mark is to be taken literally its unpardonable. Lets say its literal, If in the first year of tribulation you take the mark to feed your family, but then you repent you cant be forgiven because you have the mark?
                            It would then be an unpardonable sin.

Comment>

I'm Also thinking that it Might be used Before the rapture takes place.
                              It won't be used until the Beast becomes the ruler of the earth and that won't happen until after the rapture.

Originally posted by Guppy View Post
                              If in the first year of tribulation you take the mark to feed your family, but then you repent you cant be forgiven because you have the mark?
                              A person who takes the mark won't want to repent.

The rest of mankind, who were not killed by these plagues, did not repent of the works of their hands nor give up worshiping demons and idols of gold and silver and bronze and stone and wood, which cannot see or hear or walk, nor did they repent of their murders or their sorceries or their sexual immorality or their thefts. (Revelation 9:20,21 ESV)
                              Clyde Herrin's Blog
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap