Discussions related to the end times and Bible prophecy.

Animal sacrifices during the Millenium

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Animal sacrifices during the Millenium

The laws God gave to Israel through Moses included a requirement that they sacrifice animals as an atonement for their sins. These sacrifices didn’t actually take away sins but only served as a picture of what Christ would do when he died for sin. Hebrews 10:11-14 says,

And every priest stands daily at his service, offering repeatedly the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins. But when Christ had offered for all time a single sacrifice for sins, he sat down at the right hand of God, waiting from that time until his enemies should be made a footstool for his feet. For by a single offering he has perfected for all time those who are being sanctified.
    Now that Christ has come these sacrifices are no longer needed.

The last part of Ezekiel, from chapter 40 through the end, describes what life will be like in the Millenium. The land will be divided among the twelve tribes. A new temple will be built. And animals will once again be sacrificed in accordance with the Mosaic law. But if Christ has paid for sins what will be the purpose of these sacrifices?

Before his crucifixion Jesus established a new practice which was to take the place of the sacrifices.

For I received from the Lord what I also delivered to you, that the Lord Jesus on the night when he was betrayed took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it, and said, “This is my body which is for you. Do this in remembrance of me.”

In the same way also he took the cup, after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood. Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me.”
    1 Corinthians 11:23-25 ESV
    But there was to be a limit on how long this practice would be in effect. The next verse says,

For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until he comes.
    After his return animal sacrifices will apparently be resumed to serve as a reminder of what he did. The purpose of the Old Testament sacrifices was to show what Christ was going to do; the purpose of the Millennial sacrifices will be to remind them of what he has done. The present age, in which the sacrifices aren’t offered at all, separates the two.

There is another possible reason for the resumption of animal sacrifices. The Bible’s descriptions of life in the millenium show that death will be extremely rare. It may be possible for those born during this time to go through their whole lives without any personal contact with death. But the salvation message will be the same, that Christ died for our sins. In this age we don’t have any problem understanding this because we see death all around us and know what happens when someone dies. But those who lack our personal knowledge of death will probably find it harder to understand the message. Perhaps one of the purposes of animal sacrifices will be to show them what death is like so they can understand better what Christ did.

Clyde Herrin's Blog

Heb 10:8-12
    8 Above when he said, "Sacrifice and offering and burnt offerings and offering for sin thou wouldest not, neither hadst pleasure therein; which are offered by the law;

9 Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second.

10 By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.

11 And every priest standeth daily ministering and offering oftentimes the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins:

12 But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God;
    KJV

No more animal sacrifices for sin since Jesus Christ became the One Perfect Sacrifice for sin forever.

Thus the old covenant sacrifice for sin has truly... ended, for one and all time like The Scripture declares.

Those Ezekiel 40 through 48 chapters indeed are for the future after Jesus' second coming. But when was that given to Ezekiel to write, what covenant was Israel still under when God gave that Millennial prophecy through Ezekiel? They were still under the old covenant of sacrifices, etc.

So before our Lord Jesus appeared in Jerusalem, what would the Jews have thought about that Ezekiel prophecy if it declared all animal sacrifice done away with? especially while Israel was still under that old covenant?

One has to put on their thinking cap to grasp this point about that Ezekiel Scripture.

I believe it even has a dual purpose across covenants. For example, those still under the old covenant wouldn't have much of a problem with that Ezekiel prophecy of animal sacrifices in their day, and those of the unbelieving Jews after Jesus died on the cross would see that as a picture of their planned fulfillment to build another temple, prior to Christ's second coming (which actually is... the orthodox unbelieving Jew's plan today).

And then for deceived believers on Christ, since that Ezekiel prophecy simply mentions... the idea of animal sacrifices, they would discard that prophecy all together, wrongly claiming it was already fulfilled back in history, and thus they would miss the jewels God put in that Ezekiel prophecy for His Church to know regarding Christ's future Millennial reign with His elect.

The gist of the matter is those animal sacrifices mentioned there in those Ezekiel Millennial chapters is put for our 'love' to The Father and His Son in that future time. Literal animal sacrifices will not be re-instituted by our Lord Jesus in that future time. Hebrews 13:15, Phil.4:18, uses the idea of 'sacrifice' in the symbolic sense for our praise to The LORD since Jesus died on the cross.
    Comment>

"Sacrifice sheep in remembrance of me"?

And, what? "Build a temple to represent me"?

God's people will not build another Temple. God's people will not resume sacrifices. Jesus is our Temple. Jesus is our sacrifice.
      Comment>

Originally posted by Cornelius View Post
        "Sacrifice sheep in remembrance of me"?

And, what? "Build a temple to represent me"?

God's people will not build another Temple. God's people will not resume sacrifices. Jesus is our Temple. Jesus is our sacrifice.
        Ezekiel's words are to be understood as symbolic in the visions that spiritually represent all the facets of what Christ's sacrifice on the cross accomplished. The presence and purpose of millennial sacrifices diminishes the finished work of Christ, and it violates the prophetic symbolic interpretation of these prophetic passages. Hebrews 10 reads "THERE IS NO MORE OFFERING FOR SIN" once God remits iniquities through an offering, and that is exactly what Christ's offering accomplished. That means there can be no "SIN OFFERINGS" after the cross.

I'd like to quote a member's prior post:

Originally posted by Jason T V View Post
        Here are a few things to consider concerning the idea of the "re-institution" of the temple and its sacrifices as a "memorial" to Christ. In no particular order.

1)"Then He *said to Thomas, “Reach here with your finger, and see My hands; and reach here your hand and put it into My side..." John 20:27. Christ is here appeared once again in the upper room. He is raised from the dead, in His glorified body, never to see death again. He retains the wounds of the cross. He will be as a "reminder" to us, He is our "memorial!" We shall see him "face to face" as He really is.

2)The word "memorial" implies forgetfulness, a corrupt mind indeed needs a "memorial", but perfect minds, a redeemed mind does not.

3) Wasn't death settled on the cross? So there will be death in the new heaven and new earth?

4) Paul tells us in Romans that the earth itself is "groaning" anticipating there "redemption" as well. No Jesus did not die for animals, but "creation" was unwillingly subjected to futility to fulfill God's purposes. Creation also will be "set free from its bondage to corruption..."in fact don't we observe God's creatures always doing what God made them to do? Romans 8:18-24
        God bless,
        William

Comment>

Offering up sacrifice is not necessarily indicating sacrifice for sin:
          Acts 21:18-26

King James Version (KJV)

18 And the day following Paul went in with us unto James; and all the elders were present.
          19 And when he had saluted them, he declared particularly what things God had wrought among the Gentiles by his ministry.
          20 And when they heard it, they glorified the Lord, and said unto him, Thou seest, brother, how many thousands of Jews there are which believe; and they are all zealous of the law:
          21 And they are informed of thee, that thou teachest all the Jews which are among the Gentiles to forsake Moses, saying that they ought not to circumcise their children, neither to walk after the customs.
          22 What is it therefore? the multitude must needs come together: for they will hear that thou art come.
          23Do therefore this that we say to thee: We have four men which have a vow on them;
          24 Them take, and purify thyself with them, and be at charges with them, that they may shave their heads: and all may know that those things, whereof they were informed concerning thee, are nothing; but that thou thyself also walkest orderly, and keepest the law.
          25 As touching the Gentiles which believe, we have written and concluded that they observe no such thing, save only that they keep themselves from things offered to idols, and from blood, and from strangled, and from fornication.
          26 Then Paul took the men, and the next day purifying himself with them entered into the temple, to signify the accomplishment of the days of purification, until that an offering should be offered for every one of them.

Seems Paul did not have a problem with an offering among believers in the first century...why would we think it strange that there should be memorial offerings in the Millennial Kingdom?

God bless.
          Comment>

Originally posted by S.T.Ranger View Post
            Where are the text size functions?
            Text size, fonts, and colors have been disabled. We had too many people abuse them. Not to mention there are multiple templates available to use, and some of the fonts and colors caused havoc in them.

Glad to see you Ranger, and welcome to the forum!

God bless,
            William
            Comment>

Originally posted by William View Post
              Originally posted by Jason T V View Post
              Here are a few things to consider concerning the idea of the "re-institution" of the temple and its sacrifices as a "memorial" to Christ. In no particular order.

1)"Then He *said to Thomas, “Reach here with your finger, and see My hands; and reach here your hand and put it into My side..." John 20:27. Christ is here appeared once again in the upper room. He is raised from the dead, in His glorified body, never to see death again. He retains the wounds of the cross. He will be as a "reminder" to us, He is our "memorial!" We shall see him "face to face" as He really is.

2)The word "memorial" implies forgetfulness, a corrupt mind indeed needs a "memorial", but perfect minds, a redeemed mind does not.

3) Wasn't death settled on the cross? So there will be death in the new heaven and new earth?

4) Paul tells us in Romans that the earth itself is "groaning" anticipating there "redemption" as well. No Jesus did not die for animals, but "creation" was unwillingly subjected to futility to fulfill God's purposes. Creation also will be "set free from its bondage to corruption..."in fact don't we observe God's creatures always doing what God made them to do? Romans 8:18-24
              #1-Just doesn't make the case. We would also have to deny Communion as well, based on this reasoning.

#2- So we are "forgetful" when we partake of Communion?

#3- The New heavens and Earth are not part of the Millennial Kingdom. This point irrelevant.

#4- Not sure what point is sought to be made here. Again, there seems to be some confusion in regards to the Millennial Kingdom and the New heavens and Earth created after the thousand years end. Prophecy does indeed tell us that the curse will be in at least limited manner lifted, and we will see enmity between men and animals, and animals and animals end during the Millennial Kingdom. This does not mean that men will all become vegan or vegetarian:

Zechariah 13

King James Version (KJV)

1 In that day there shall be a fountain opened to the house of David and to the inhabitants of Jerusalem for sin and for uncleanness.

2 And it shall come to pass in that day, saith the Lord of hosts, that I will cut off the names of the idols out of the land, and they shall no more be remembered: and also I will cause the prophets and the unclean spirit to pass out of the land.

3 And it shall come to pass, that when any shall yet prophesy, then his father and his mother that begat him shall say unto him, Thou shalt not live; for thou speakest lies in the name of the Lord: and his father and his mother that begat him shall thrust him through when he prophesieth.

4 And it shall come to pass in that day, that the prophets shall be ashamed every one of his vision, when he hath prophesied; neither shall they wear a rough garment to deceive:

5 But he shall say, I am no prophet, I am an husbandman; for man taught me to keep cattle from my youth.

For what purpose, here in this passage clearly speaking of the Millennial Kingdom...are cattle kept?

God bless.

Comment>

For what purpose, here in this passage clearly speaking of the Millennial Kingdom...are cattle kept?
                Just to clarify, are you asking what purpose does a symbol serve? For an Amillennial perspective, ask the question, is there to be cattle (the symbol) or the realization of the symbolic signification?
                Comment>

Just to clarify, are you asking what purpose does a symbol serve? For an Amillennial perspective, ask the question, is there to be cattle (the symbol) or the realization of the symbolic signification?
                  Not at all, I am asking why the cattle are kept.

In the Millennial Kingdom false prophets will not run rampant as they do today, they will, as the passage indicates, lie to preserve themselves from certain death for their false doctrine. In the passage we see a false prophet claim he has "kept cattle from his youth."

So what purpose do we see cattle kept in that day? The most likely answer is that men will still be eating meat in that day.

Creation also will be "set free from its bondage to corruption...
                  The arguments offered do not stand up to scrutiny. Sacrifice in the Millennial Kingdom would not be any different than the offerings still maintained during Paul's ministry, who, I would add, does not rebuke the Elders for asking him to participate (which we might speculate to have been a mistake (I always think "No, Paul...don't do it! Tell them no! Just preach the Gospel!)). The blood of bulls and goats has never once provided anything but temporary remission of sins, so we do not, in the Kingdom, ascribe redemptive value in that day either. When we understand that, we see that the argument is weak.

God bless.
                  Comment>

Rabbi Will; a late reply 2 yer kind Revelation about the perfect comportment of Prez. Kids in church. (1) are they actually in Church or a Suday Sch. area ? I grew up Cath. I remember Choirboys shooting crank BB guns from the Choir loft into the congregation @ Xmas midnight mass. veritas !!... marty...PS... about cattle;' they taste good & who cares !!'
                    Comment>

First, I can see a major problem posed from a literalistic interpretation where it does not belong. You stated that animal sacrifices are most likely there to suggest that men will be eating meat in that day. I can very well see such interpretation, and acknowledge your position. Shift your eyes to an Amil perspective. Are we to believe there are Levites offering up sacrifices enjoying a privilege of heredity? From a symbolic perspective might the people of God enjoy the same privileges of service that the Levites alone previously enjoyed? That is, the Lord's true servants are evidenced by faith, rather than by simple heredity?

God bless,
                      William
                      Comment>

But he shall say, I am no prophet, I am an husbandman; for man taught me to keep cattle from my youth.

To be honest I do not know why the KJV has that. That is not what the Hebrew text states.

The Hebrew phrase is אִישׁ־עֹבֵ֤ד אֲדָמָה. The first word is "man" (אִישׁ), the second is "worker, laborer" (עֹבֵ֤ד), the third is "land" (אֲדָמָה). The word for "worker" is in the construct case thus the phrase is "worker of the land" = farmer.
                        Comment>

Well, lemme take a stab at the cattle from an Amil perspective. First, I can see a major problem posed from a literalistic interpretation where it does not belong. You stated that animal sacrifices are most likely there to suggest that men will be eating meat in that day. I can very well see such interpretation, and acknowledge your position.
                          I do not see "the problem" presented here. First, I should mention that I did not say "animal sacrifices are most likely there to suggest that men will be eating meat in that day," but that the false prophet keeping cattle indicates men will be eating meat. We could think that the cattle are kept for their protection, but, not likely, seeing that enmity between animals ends.

Shift your perspective to an Amil perspective. Are we to believe there are Levites offering up sacrifices enjoying a privilege of heredity?
                          I see no reason not to see Tribal affiliation as maintained in that day. We do see in Revelation that Prophecy makes the point of mentioning Tribes by name (with the exception of Dan and Ephraim).

As to heredity, all of us will have the same...the sons of God.

Are we to believe there are Levites offering up sacrifices enjoying a privilege of heredity? From a symbolic perspective might the people of God enjoy the same privileges of service that the Levites alone previously enjoyed?
                          Not really. Consider this: shall we also say female inclusion in particular service must be adopted? While we see women "serving" at times, at no time do we see women introduced to Levitical Service. Is that unfair? I don't see it that way, it's just what the Word teaches. We do not see a reversion from Paul's teaching that the man is the head of the wife.

That is, the Lord's true servants are evidenced by faith, rather than by simple heredity.
                          Not really relevant to the issue. We know that true faith is held by true servants, but, that does not mean everyone is to be the Pastor, or that the Body is not made up of many members, all diverse with specific functions. We do not mistake Paul's teachings concerning rewards either, which distinguishes the works of individual believers. So we cannot create a scenario where everyone is equal in either the Millennial Kingdom or the Eternal State. Equal in regards to salvation, sure, but not in all aspects of existence. James warns against "many teachers" primarily because it holds a greater responsibility. So when it comes to whether Levites will be Levites and those of Judah will be of Judah, rather than the newfangled ideas of some that they are "spiritually Jews" in a sense that they are equal to members of Israel from a standpoint of heritage.I have debated this issue on a number of forums, which is sadly often accompanied by racism and antisemitism. Truly we are spiritually "Jews" when we are saved, but, Gentiles remain Gentiles and Jews remain Jews.

And I would lastly mention, though it might not seem relevant, that nowhere in Scripture do we see Jews commanded to shed themselves of their heritage. Nor do we see Gentiles commanded to become Jews. On the contrary, we see a bit of grace bestowed to Gentiles which might be seen as a little unfair, lol, to the Jews:

Acts 15

For it seemed good to the Holy Ghost, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things;
                          29 That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well.

God bless.
                          Comment>

Originally posted by Origen View Post
                            To be honest I do not know why the KJV has that. That is not the Hebrew text.
                            My guess would be that this made the most sense to the translators.

How would you translate it?

But going back to the point, again, the argument suggests that the sacrifice of animals is not credible due to the reprieve of the Curse. Do you hold to that argument and the other points provided?

God bless.
                            Comment>

My guess would be that this made the most sense to the translators.

How would you translate it?

But going back to the point, again, the argument suggests that the sacrifice of animals is not credible due to the reprieve of the Curse. Do you hold to that argument and the other points provided?

God bless.
                              The Hebrew text literally has "worker of land" which is a farmer.

NET, NIV - "I am a farmer"
                              ESV - "I am a worker of the soil"
                              NRSV - "I am a tiller of the soil"

I cannot for the life of me figurer out how the KJV got that. The Hebrew text is as plain as day. This will drive me crazy till I know.
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap