Discussions related to the end times and Bible prophecy.

Revelation 18 and Lisbon 1755

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Revelation 18 and Lisbon 1755

Hello, I joined this forum because I want to get feedback on the above. If people can find fault with my theory that's fine!
    It seems to me that what happened on 1st November 1755 in Lisbon ensured the fall economically, politically and spiritually (in terms of thinking) of "Babylon", which was not just a city, it was an empire with mysterious worship rituals and priestly hierarchy that held political and economic power through religious control.

Please have a look at the clips and read the text that detail what happened, then compare with Revelation 18:

Since the 1500s Lisbon had been the major European hub of commerce between Africa, India, the Far East and later, south and central America, acquiring great riches by exploiting the trade in spices, slaves, sugar, gold, diamonds textiles and other goods. The Portuguese Empire: the first global empire in world history and the longest-lived of the modern European colonial empires, spanning 1415-2002.

At 9:40am on Saturday 1st November 1755, the inhabitants of Lisbon were gathered, or travelling up the narrow streets to the opulent gold-layered cathedrals and churches for All Saints (“All Hallows”) Day when the biggest earthquake in European history struck. They were crushed by the stones and icons, and survivors fleeing to the harbour area were hit by a tsunami that arrived later. Candles lit in houses for the feast day, and cooking fires had started fires and the bowl-shaped geography helped create a fire-storm. Hundreds of prisoners “like ravenous wolves” escaped from the local jails and began looting the city. Residents who returned to collect valuables were raped or killed. Animals had fled to the hills and archaeological analysis of the bones shows cuts to long leg bones (i.e. cannibalism) and skulls crushed by weapons. Sailors found piles of bodies and funiture at sea after. There had been minor earthquakes before, one even destroyed 1500 homes, but this one destroyed 85% of the city's structures (including the Palace of the Inquisition). The Alfama, Lisbon's red-light district, and other humble dwellings suffered only minor damage. People asked, why were the cathedrals, full of faithful worshippers destroyed while the brothels remained standing? The event was physically felt across Spain, France, Switzerland and Northern Italy, it also shook thinking. By 1755, Lisbon was one of the largest cities in Europe; the catastrophic event shocked the whole of Europe and left a deep impression on its collective psyche. Many lost their faith.

Many at the time saw this as spoken of in Revelation, others say it’s all just co-incidence.

“Shall a trumpet be blown in the city, and the people not be afraid? shall there be evil in a city, and the Lord hath not done it? Surely the Lord God will do nothing, but he revealeth his secret unto his servants the prophets.” (Amos 3:6-7)

In 1759, the Marquis of Pombal, Secretary of State in Portugal, expelled the Jesuits from Portugal and Portuguese possessions overseas. Lisbon had been their centre for evangelization, in Brazil the efforts of the Jesuits contribute greatly to extending the province inland, as they press every further up the rivers to organize and educate the Indians in self-supporting frontier settlements. In Paraguay the Jesuit settlements (known as reducciones) are so numerous and so successful that the order governs a virtually independent territory, protected by their own army and with a population of about 100,000 Indians. The power and wealth of the Jesuits aroused much opposition, particularly in the anti-clerical mood of the later 18th century. They also make enemies by protecting the Indians against the predatory demands of colonists. The move against the missions is led by Portugal. The Jesuits are expelled from Brazil in 1759. Spain follows suit in its American viceroyalties in 1767. The thirty-two reducciones of Paraguay are abandoned and fall into decay. It is all part of a broader reaction in Europe, leading to the suppression of the entire Jesuit order in 1773.

HISTORY OF THE PORTUGUESE EMPIRE

Revelation 18 describes events that will happen in the future, during the time of tribulation that immediately precedes Christ's return. All of the prophesies of Revelation will be fulfilled in the future; none have yet been fulfilled.

If you want to understand Bible prophecy here is a good place to start: Page not found - Rapture Ready
    Clyde Herrin's Blog
    Comment>

Originally posted by theophilus View Post
      ... All of the prophesies of Revelation will be fulfilled in the future; none have yet been fulfilled.

If you want to understand Bible prophecy here is a good place to start:...
      By pushing it all to the future you prevent understanding!
      Revelation is a scroll of events that must shortly come to pass, given in the 1st C AD and ending with the return of Christ and detailing the true and false church in the meantime.

Comment>

Originally posted by Watcher7 View Post
        By pushing it all to the future you prevent understanding!
        Revelation is a scroll of events that must shortly come to pass, given in the 1st C AD and ending with the return of Christ and detailing the true and false church in the meantime.

Hi Watcher7,

I agree!

Revelation 1:19 Write therefore the things that you have seen, those that are and those that are to take place after this.

I think it is a disservice to God's sovereignty to push everything forward. For example, in Revelation 18:1 the angel's splendor reflects that of God Himself. The angel's majesty reinforces the authority and divine source of the message. Historically, the message had a particular relevance to the seven churches and their struggles in the 1st century. Though, this is not to say that such relevance will not come to a climatic expression in the final crisis of the second coming as Preterists contend.

In Revelation 18:12-13 the list of products are not only in common with traders in Ezekiel's day Ezekiel 27:12-24, but represent today the products which represent the kind of earthly goods unbelieving idolaters put their trust. These things were, are, and are to come, up until Babylon's fall.

God bless,
        William
        Comment>

Originally posted by Watcher7 View Post
          Hello, I joined this forum because I want to get feedback on the above. If people can find fault with my theory that's fine!
          It seems to me that what happened on 1st November 1755 in Lisbon ensured the fall economically, politically and spiritually (in terms of thinking) of "Babylon", which was not just a city, it was an empire with mysterious worship rituals and priestly hierarchy that held political and economic power through religious control.

Please have a look at the clips and read the text that detail what happened, then compare with Revelation 18:

Since the 1500s Lisbon had been the major European hub of commerce between Africa, India, the Far East and later, south and central America, acquiring great riches by exploiting the trade in spices, slaves, sugar, gold, diamonds textiles and other goods. The Portuguese Empire: the first global empire in world history and the longest-lived of the modern European colonial empires, spanning 1415-2002.

At 9:40am on Saturday 1st November 1755, the inhabitants of Lisbon were gathered, or travelling up the narrow streets to the opulent gold-layered cathedrals and churches for All Saints (“All Hallows”) Day when the biggest earthquake in European history struck. They were crushed by the stones and icons, and survivors fleeing to the harbour area were hit by a tsunami that arrived later. Candles lit in houses for the feast day, and cooking fires had started fires and the bowl-shaped geography helped create a fire-storm. Hundreds of prisoners “like ravenous wolves” escaped from the local jails and began looting the city. Residents who returned to collect valuables were raped or killed. Animals had fled to the hills and archaeological analysis of the bones shows cuts to long leg bones (i.e. cannibalism) and skulls crushed by weapons. Sailors found piles of bodies and funiture at sea after. There had been minor earthquakes before, one even destroyed 1500 homes, but this one destroyed 85% of the city's structures (including the Palace of the Inquisition). The Alfama, Lisbon's red-light district, and other humble dwellings suffered only minor damage. People asked, why were the cathedrals, full of faithful worshippers destroyed while the brothels remained standing? The event was physically felt across Spain, France, Switzerland and Northern Italy, it also shook thinking. By 1755, Lisbon was one of the largest cities in Europe; the catastrophic event shocked the whole of Europe and left a deep impression on its collective psyche. Many lost their faith.

Many at the time saw this as spoken of in Revelation, others say it’s all just co-incidence.

“Shall a trumpet be blown in the city, and the people not be afraid? shall there be evil in a city, and the Lord hath not done it? Surely the Lord God will do nothing, but he revealeth his secret unto his servants the prophets.” (Amos 3:6-7)

In 1759, the Marquis of Pombal, Secretary of State in Portugal, expelled the Jesuits from Portugal and Portuguese possessions overseas. Lisbon had been their centre for evangelization, in Brazil the efforts of the Jesuits contribute greatly to extending the province inland, as they press every further up the rivers to organize and educate the Indians in self-supporting frontier settlements. In Paraguay the Jesuit settlements (known as reducciones) are so numerous and so successful that the order governs a virtually independent territory, protected by their own army and with a population of about 100,000 Indians. The power and wealth of the Jesuits aroused much opposition, particularly in the anti-clerical mood of the later 18th century. They also make enemies by protecting the Indians against the predatory demands of colonists. The move against the missions is led by Portugal. The Jesuits are expelled from Brazil in 1759. Spain follows suit in its American viceroyalties in 1767. The thirty-two reducciones of Paraguay are abandoned and fall into decay. It is all part of a broader reaction in Europe, leading to the suppression of the entire Jesuit order in 1773.

HISTORY OF THE PORTUGUESE EMPIRE
          When "Babylon" is destroyed with the Fire of God, there won't be anything left on top of the Earth but a newly formed crust.

Jeremiah 4
          22: "For my people are foolish, they know me not; they are stupid children, they have no understanding. They are skilled in doing evil, but how to do good they know not."
          23: I looked on the earth, and lo, it was waste and void; and to the heaven, and they had no light.
          24: I looked on the mountains, and lo, they were quaking, and all the hills moved to and fro.
          25: I looked, and lo, there was no man, and all the birds of the air had fled.
          26: I looked, and lo, the fruitful land was a desert, and all its cities were laid in ruins before the LORD, before his fierce anger.
          27: For thus says the LORD, "The whole land shall be a desolation; yet I will not make a full end.
          28: For this the earth shall mourn, and the heavens above be black; for I have spoken, I have purposed; I have not relented nor will I turn back."

Zephaniah 1
          18: Neither their silver nor their gold shall be able to deliver them on the day of the wrath of the LORD. In the fire of his jealous wrath, all the earth shall be consumed; for a full, yea, sudden end he will make of all the inhabitants of the earth.
          Comment>

Originally posted by William View Post
            Revelation 1:19 Write therefore the things that you have seen, those that are and those that are to take place after this.
            The things that are refers to the seven letters to the churches. In the rest of the book the church isn't mentioned until chapter 19, the Wedding Supper for the Lamb and his Bride. Most of the book takes place during the Tribulation, when Israel is purified to make her willing to receive her Messiah. Of course the events can be applied to the church as well, as I pointed out in this thread: The whole truth? -Christforums
            Clyde Herrin's Blog
            Comment>

Originally posted by GodMan View Post
              When "Babylon" is destroyed with the Fire of God, there won't be anything left on top of the Earth but a newly formed crust.

Jeremiah 4 22:...28

Zephaniah 1:18: ...
              These passages relate to the desctruction that occurred in Israel when they were over-run and taken captive.

Revelation 18 talks about kings and merchants seing the smoke afar off, so these people are not vapourised.
              Jesus says the days of his returned will be shorted so that flesh is saved. Ezekiel talks about cleansing the land.

You have conflated the removal of "Babylon" from her position of Political/economic and religious authority (which took place largely in the 18th century) to Jesus' return. This is wrong. It happens beforehand and she becomes a home of people trapped in their spiritual delusion and bigotry:

"Babylon the great is fallen, is fallen, and is become the habitation of devils, and the hold of every foul spirit, and a cage of every unclean and hateful bird."

Comment>
              Working...
              X
              Articles - News - SiteMap